None
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10430 posts
2597 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
sg0777 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 4:18 pm
Trying to decide between the ecobee and the nest. I think having integrated smoke detectors on the Nest would be more beneficial for me than ecobee sensors. Has anyone also installed smoke detectors with their Nest?
What advantage do you get for your thermostat by having nest smoke alarms?
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Sep 4, 2006
791 posts
51 upvotes
I never got a call from them. They just came at the wrong appointment time. I was scheduled for 12 to 4 but they came at 11 saying my appointment they thought was from 8 to 12
DenNinja wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:27 pm
Do the installers usually call you a day before the scheduled install or on the day of the install? I remember the CS rep say something about the installers calling a day before while I was booking the appointment but would like some verification.
http:// mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-metric/127130.png
http:// badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/131105.png
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1746 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto & north …
ceredon wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:18 pm
What advantage do you get for your thermostat by having nest smoke alarms?
Copy and Paste:

"Heating systems can cause carbon monoxide leaks or spread smoke through your home in a fire. In an emergency, Nest Protect tells your Nest Thermostat to turn off the heat to keep the danger from spreading."

https://nest.com/ca/smoke-co-alarm/overview/
Jul 3, 2011
98 posts
16 upvotes
Markham
crystallight wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:57 pm
I got the Ecobee3 lite installed and I’m wondering if anyone else is having the same problems as me. The issue is regarding the standby mode. You can set what screen brightness you want when it enters standby mode (I have it set at level 1) and also how many seconds of inactivity it takes for it to start standby (I have it set for 10 seconds). This works initially where after 10 seconds the screen brightness goes from level 10 to level 1. However, if I touch the ecobee unit and select anything (such as going into settings or changing the temp) then it won’t go to standby mode anymore UNLESS I cover that little redlight sensor with my fingers. It’s very weird. I would then take the unit off and put it back on for it to restart and again it works just fine…I won’t stand near it for 10 seconds and it’ll go into standby, then I’ll wave my hand in front of it so it senses me and takes it out of standby just as it should. And I can repeat this 100 times and it’ll work…but once I touch the unit and click something it won’t go into standby anymore unless I cover that red light sensor.

Has anyone else experienced this before?
I just tested mine again after reading your issue. Mine works as intended, as in, it goes to standby even after I touch it for something. The only thing is, I have put the standby request at 60 seconds after an active operation and after I have left the vicinity. I think 10 seconds is too aggressive for it to do all this. Fyi, I have also checked the option where it is screen off when I am at sleep mode. And no, I don't touch the red light sensor. It is supposed to trigger active screen when I am in front of it.
Nov 29, 2013
160 posts
70 upvotes
GTA
sandyriver wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:01 pm
I never got a call from them. They just came at the wrong appointment time. I was scheduled for 12 to 4 but they came at 11 saying my appointment they thought was from 8 to 12
Thanks for the reply! Hope that doesn't happen to me!
Jun 28, 2009
707 posts
235 upvotes
The came to my parents house for the install last night but couldn't complete due to the lack of wires. Only the he fan and heat was present; there's no air conditioning.

They completed the home audit though and gave us a number to call if we decide to drop in a 5 wire thermostat cable.

We chose the ecobee; don't know if the nest would fair better in this situation. Is it worth it to install the 5 wire in their situation?
Jan 3, 2007
229 posts
1 upvote
Milton, Ontario
Anyone in Milton L9T postal code have theirs installed yet?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1594 posts
708 upvotes
Had my installation done today. The tech called and said his afternoon appointments were moved/cancelled so if he could earlier and we obliged. The tech was really nice and helpful. Have checked all settings and features so far and all looks good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22242 posts
8878 upvotes
Ottawa
jceezy23 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 7:58 am
The came to my parents house for the install last night but couldn't complete due to the lack of wires. Only the he fan and heat was present; there's no air conditioning.

They completed the home audit though and gave us a number to call if we decide to drop in a 5 wire thermostat cable.

We chose the ecobee; don't know if the nest would fair better in this situation. Is it worth it to install the 5 wire in their situation?
Either way, if you're pulling new wire, you're better off getting 18/5; it's the standard now.
If you read reviews on the Nest, it can experience intermittent issues without a C wire; due to insufficient charging of the battery.
Nov 6, 2013
73 posts
6 upvotes
I got my email but after reading the terms and conditions I started wondering what the catch is. The government never gives you anything free. Besides the audit is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks
Nov 29, 2013
160 posts
70 upvotes
GTA
Just had my ecobee installed. L6C postal code. Installer was very nice and professional and everything works fine as it should!
Apr 23, 2014
891 posts
268 upvotes
GTA, ON
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:17 pm
So close...
What's does your furnace main board look like?
Does it have all terminals for a 5 wire setup?
Yeah- so close...Also, I think i need to open up my furnace to access the main board.

I spoke to ecobee tech support- and the rep stated although it's not the ideal solution, he agreed that it might be economically more viable to install the ecobee at the furnace area (he asked me to remove the connections from the furnace to honeywell EIM and connect it to Ecobee instead. He also said that once i pair my remote sensors, I could then disable the sensor at the ecobee to discount it's temperature reading.

I called a couple of HVAC's- and they all said they would not be able to give me an accurate quote for 18/5 wiring without an on-site visit. But ball-park estimate varied from 200-300$.

I think at this point- I am going to call and request Greenon to install the ecobee at the furnace area- and if they refuse, I would then have to pay for 18/5 wiring.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31725 posts
8100 upvotes
GTHA
moretz wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 8:53 pm
I got my email but after reading the terms and conditions I started wondering what the catch is. The government never gives you anything free. Besides the audit is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks
Fyi, the thermostats are not free. We paid for them thru carbon taxes.

The Green Ontario Fund is a not-for-profit provincial agency that invests proceeds from Ontario’s carbon market into climate actions that help people and businesses reduce greenhouse gas emissions and use cleaner technology to power their homes and workplaces.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2004
3770 posts
180 upvotes
Markham
DenNinja wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:24 pm
Just had my ecobee installed. L6C postal code. Installer was very nice and professional and everything works fine as it should!
Also in the L6C area, when I filled out the survey they said someone will contact me when they're in the area, when did you get notified for an actual appointment?
I got the email to fill out survey and schedule an appointment on Dec. 29, filled out the survey and it just ssid I will be notified ehen there are installers in my area.
Nov 29, 2013
160 posts
70 upvotes
GTA
i-o_o-i wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:38 pm
Also in the L6C area, when I filled out the survey they said someone will contact me when they're in the area, when did you get notified for an actual appointment?
I got the email to fill out survey and schedule an appointment on Dec. 29, filled out the survey and it just ssid I will be notified ehen there are installers in my area.
You must call 1888-728-9887 and book an appointment. Have your submission ID ready! The online form on step 4 that states they'll call you is apparently a website glitch. I was put on hold for literally 2 seconds and connected to someone right away so hopefully you get the same experience. They will let you know available time slots and dates! Good luck!