[Ontario] Free Smart Thermostat. [2017 is full, registering for 2018]

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 7:38 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 22, 2006
411 posts
227 upvotes
I'm in Markham (L3P) and was able to call in yesterday to schedule my appointment. This was after a few tries calling in over the past couple weeks.

First available time was next Wednesday, Jan 24.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1880 posts
282 upvotes
Waterloo
ceredon wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 7:49 am
I called early last week and was told to expect a call 2-3 days. Over a week later I called again and they took my info and said they’d call back that day. Never happened. Between that someone within a couple minutes of my place posted they’d had their install completed. I called yesterday and told them to book my appt....now set for two weeks from now.

Beechwood area of Waterloo.
Westvale here. We’re practically neighbours. You should send the installer my way after they’re done at your place. Lol

Guess it sounds like I need to call in again. Thanks
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
May 6, 2017
113 posts
65 upvotes
cheystar wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 11:19 am
It didn’t come with the wall plate extension. Even my neighbour had his installed and they were none in his box either. As IndyBeak said even if it was it would be just a tad big to fit.
Hm, my Ecobee3 is getting installed right now and it comes with a plate, but I think it'd be too small to cover up the holes in your photo anyways.
May 6, 2017
113 posts
65 upvotes
"He or she will also provide you with customized low carbon, energy-saving solutions for your home."

Hm. I asked the tech and he said he's not in charge of that and someone else would come to provide that.

Why do I doubt this... oh well.
Nov 23, 2010
865 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
As I have read through this thread, it sounds like its been confirmed that they will take away my current thermostat once they install the new one.

I originally had a really crappy basic thermostat (non digital, non programmable) when I first moved into my place. I then signed up for peaksaver, and now this program.

I know my peaksaver works, as its been there for a few years. I would prefer to keep my peaksaver thermostat as a "back up" in case of anything. So I guess I will need to install my original thermostat, so they take that instead of my peaksaver.

The original thermostat I have has a R-W-Y-G spots.

My furnace has R-W-G-Y-C spots as shown below

Seems pretty straightforward enough to just wire the thermostat wires into the respective furnace spots in terms of heating, and to remove the current peaksaver wiring/thermostat if my understanding is correct.

What I just want to make sure of though, is that I noticed there is an extra wire coming out of my furnace, for what I am pretty sure is the A/C unit.

As shown in my picture above, my A/C unit appears to be the extra red wire in the Y terminal (cooling), then it also has a white wire going into the C terminal. This is the wiring on the bottom of my photo.

If I was to re-install my original thermostat, would I need to touch these extra wires from the A/C unit going into the Y and C terminals?

Am I missing, or do I need any sort of jumpers or whatever else? Im not an HVAC person and just want to make sure I wire it up correctly.

Im guessing the final wiring of my system would look like the following

Any feedback much appreciated
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1616 posts
217 upvotes
Mississauga
I think people are talking about the trim plate as shown below, which I didn't get. I only got the ecobee backplate. I'm also missing the pek extender, which makes me believe the installer just takes those parts which aren't being used Angry Face
RFDblin wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:17 am
Hm, my Ecobee3 is getting installed right now and it comes with a plate, but I think it'd be too small to cover up the holes in your photo anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
5106 posts
1040 upvotes
Brampton
Currently Peak Saver customer one honeywell ( Peak saver is done btw) . Here is my wiring diagram
IMG_20180121_144045.jpg
I see green wire going into C. is that ok ? do i still need PEK install. I have selected Ecobee Lite
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
1766 posts
910 upvotes
Etobicoke
Mayoo wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 3:23 pm
Currently Peak Saver customer one honeywell ( Peak saver is done btw) . Here is my wiring diagram

IMG_20180121_144045.jpg

I see green wire going into C. is that ok ? do i still need PEK install. I have selected Ecobee Lite
I have peaksave thermostat too and have honeywell furnace and i had to use PEK for ecobee.
Jan 17, 2008
35 posts
14 upvotes
Kitchener
Apologies if this was previously asked and answered, our furnace has a c wire spot but its not run to the current thermostat (which has 4 wires but no c).

If I select the Nest, which I am inclined to do as we live in an old house (sensors will only result in significant over heating in some areas and I like the idea of integrating smoke/co2 detectors), will the technician run a C wire to the Nest?

Is the Nest (with no C wire) vs the Ecobee PEK option enough of an issue to just go with the Ecobee?
Mar 7, 2011
105 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
i got the ecobee installed today ( in L4E ). and the young man who did the installation asked me whether I want to keep the old thermostat or not.
If not, he can take it away to recycle it.
since I have no other use of it, I asked him to take it away.
So I guess you may ask the technician if you can keep the old one.
Sep 4, 2006
791 posts
51 upvotes
Good support for ecobee. I gave feedback in the survey they had sent me. This was the email response recieved -

Hello. , and thank you for completing our survey.

I can see from your score that you aren't completely satisfied with your ecobee experience, I'm sorry to hear that.
I will pass along your suggestion about a separate programmable fan run time. This is something I have seen customers request in the past as it is a great benefit to have.
I believe in an upcoming update, the time will be displayed on the standby screen, however it will not appear on the wake screen as there wouldn't be enough space for it, unless it was
made very small.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Looking forward to hearing from you
http:// mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-metric/127130.png
http:// badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/131105.png
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1181 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
Got it installed on Saturday. Everything looks good. L4B area.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1624 posts
729 upvotes
sg0777 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 9:54 pm
Apologies if this was previously asked and answered, our furnace has a c wire spot but its not run to the current thermostat (which has 4 wires but no c).

If I select the Nest, which I am inclined to do as we live in an old house (sensors will only result in significant over heating in some areas and I like the idea of integrating smoke/co2 detectors), will the technician run a C wire to the Nest?

Is the Nest (with no C wire) vs the Ecobee PEK option enough of an issue to just go with the Ecobee?
Technician will not run the wires. Can't comment on the second question, though there have been no issues running Ecobee with the 4 wires.
Nov 22, 2017
112 posts
55 upvotes
Looks like they have started installations in Ottawa.

I have my installation this Thursday (K1T postal code). It helps if you call the installation team directly (1-888-618-4611) to follow up to see where your area is in terms of installation.