504 posts
159 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
cessnabmw wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 6:09 pm
So..

Swap the Honeywell I have now with builder crap one
Have them install one, and let them take builder one
Then when they leave, put back Honeywell and sell the one I got?? I'm pretty sure the one they will give won't support all 3 (furnace, AC and Humidifier) like my current one does.

Thoughts?
Nice loophole you found there! Take advantage of it.
Nov 23, 2010
994 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
cessnabmw wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 7:45 pm
Any damage to the wall when the install?
As I mentioned - Why don't you email the manufacturers and ask if it will be compatible with your set up to get one you can actually use?

Yes potential damage, as they need to possibly put in new screw holes for the new thermostat
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6350 posts
1850 upvotes
I have 5 days left to book the appointment before I'm removed from the install list.

What's the catch to this program? Leaning towards NEST.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
2745 posts
1071 upvotes
Toronto
I called ecofitt to book an appointment and they said they would call me back (had a backlog of calls rushing to get done before the end of the month); that was last week - should I keep calling them or are people waiting it out?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1555 posts
126 upvotes
My new build home only has a 4 wire cable from the furnace to the thermostat. Reading here it appear the installers do install a PEK if wire is missing. Would it be better to run a separate 5 wire pair from the furnace to the thermostat instead of using the PEK?

Do they leave behind the old thermostat? It be nice to have a backup in-case the ecobee fails.

If I don't like the thermostat or want to exchange it for something else, can I remove it after the install? Or is there something in the contract with these smart thermostats?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3170 posts
654 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
reggyDeal wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 10:26 am
My new build home only has a 4 wire cable from the furnace to the thermostat. Reading here it appear the installers do install a PEK if wire is missing. Would it be better to run a separate 5 wire pair from the furnace to the thermostat instead of using the PEK?

Do they leave behind the old thermostat? It be nice to have a backup in-case the ecobee fails.

If I don't like the thermostat or want to exchange it for something else, can I remove it after the install? Or is there something in the contract with these smart thermostats?
The PEK is sufficient. Assuming the PEK doesn't break down there is no actual benefit to having 5 wires. But if it's not difficult to run a new bundle of thermostat wires then it might be worth it for future proofing. What if you upgrade your furnace and air conditioner both to dual stage? With that setup you need 6 wires.

They take the old thermostat. It's part of the agreement. But some people have said they've convinced the installer to leave it behind. That's YMMV. Others found a really cheap basic thermostat and installed it before the greenon guy arrived and that was the one greenon took away.

Once the install guy leaves you can do whatever you want with it. you own it. There is no contract that you have to use it. the only thing i'm not sure about is the online registration with ecobee. It gets registered to your account so if you were to give/sell it to someone, would they be able to re-register it or would ecobee say that serial number number is already registered to an account and refuse?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1555 posts
126 upvotes
Kevinck wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 3:14 pm
The PEK is sufficient. Assuming the PEK doesn't break down there is no actual benefit to having 5 wires. But if it's not difficult to run a new bundle of thermostat wires then it might be worth it for future proofing. What if you upgrade your furnace and air conditioner both to dual stage? With that setup you need 6 wires.

They take the old thermostat. It's part of the agreement. But some people have said they've convinced the installer to leave it behind. That's YMMV. Others found a really cheap basic thermostat and installed it before the greenon guy arrived and that was the one greenon took away.

Once the install guy leaves you can do whatever you want with it. you own it. There is no contract that you have to use it. the only thing i'm not sure about is the online registration with ecobee. It gets registered to your account so if you were to give/sell it to someone, would they be able to re-register it or would ecobee say that serial number number is already registered to an account and refuse?
My furnace is a dual stage furnace, not sure about the AC. Everything is new, its a new-built so future upgrades are not even in the equation here. Does ecobee automatically know it is a dual stage furnace? Does a dual stage furnace need 5-wire or is 4-wire enough? Yes the wires are easy to run right now, the basement is unfinished, and it would be a future proof, just don't need it right now, rather have the PEK installed. Just don't know if the installers do that as part of the installation.

That's a great idea relating to buying a cheap thermostat, which is basically what I have now. Was thinking of taking advantage of the $100 smart-thermostat rebate. By returning the greenon thermostat to lowes or hd.

I don't have internet yet, so I won't be registering the greenon ecobee, or is the registration done manually?
Nov 16, 2005
214 posts
2 upvotes
Finally Ecobee lite installed but not too crazy about it. First there is only 3 segments on a daily schedule (my old Thermostat has 4) and then now my question is can we able completely DISABLE any schedule what so ever as we wanted ? such as when outside is nice and I want both HEAT/AC completely disengage what so ever. (rather than via the work around solution of adjusting the AC setting higher and the HEATING setting lower) ???
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1916 posts
442 upvotes
You can make the schedule as complicated as you want via web/app.

If you want to make sure the furnace never turns on, just create a scene that loads a specific “off” comfort profile with a really wide thermal thresholds.

Or you could just tell the voice assistant to turn it off and then let the schedule resume at the next timeframe(which is also customizable).

Lots of options.
Dec 7, 2009
813 posts
97 upvotes
Just had my installation done. Hadn't read the latest pages in this thread before their arrival, but probably should have to be more informed.

Tried to install the Ecobee Lite (first choice) but was told the furnace couldn't send enough power to it. Does that sound like a reasonable issue? Not sure if the PEK is meant to address this issue, or just the issue of not having a C wire. From what I understand, I do have a C wire, but just not enough power running to the device. Furnace is probably 10 ish years old.

I mean, it's better than my old thermostat. Just want to make sure I'm not getting short changed as a result of lack of effort by the installer. Debating if I should follow up or just be happy with my NEST or follow up. Never intended to buy the satellite units but would be nice to have the homekit support.

Any comments/advice/tips on the legitimacy of apparent power issue would be appreciated :)
Nov 23, 2010
994 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
GotDaFunk wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 3:39 pm
Just had my installation done. Hadn't read the latest pages in this thread before their arrival, but probably should have to be more informed.

Tried to install the Ecobee Lite (first choice) but was told the furnace couldn't send enough power to it. Does that sound like a reasonable issue? Not sure if the PEK is meant to address this issue, or just the issue of not having a C wire. From what I understand, I do have a C wire, but just not enough power running to the device. Furnace is probably 10 ish years old.

I mean, it's better than my old thermostat. Just want to make sure I'm not getting short changed as a result of lack of effort by the installer. Debating if I should follow up or just be happy with my NEST or follow up. Never intended to buy the satellite units but would be nice to have the homekit support.

Any comments/advice/tips on the legitimacy of apparent power issue would be appreciated :)
The PEK is simply to help re-direct power in lieu of not having a C wire - Meaning if you have a 4 wire set up you can install it.

I did read a few pages back where someone also had a similar issue where the ecobee was not installed due to the C wire not having enough power.

It was something about the wire gauge not being thick enough? It was too thin and couldnt deliver enough power.

But that was one case I read about much earlier in the thread.

I think there was mention here

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ontario ... #p28843857

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ontario ... #p29026576

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ontario ... #p28978857
Oct 27, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
The installers just left my parents home. My dad spoke with them. He was told that his furnace and home were already very energy efficient and that they were not going to install the thermostat? Does that sound right? I hope my dad wasn’t scammed out of one...
Nov 19, 2007
396 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anyone else having this problem with the ecobee? Ever since they installed the thermostat, I've been getting this message at 6 am.

"you have an alert message from ecobee for thermostat: Living Room :

There may be a problem with the Furnace. For the past 2 hours the thermostat has been calling for heat, but the room temperature has decreased by 1.6C."

I've tried playing with all the settings and what not on the ecobee.
Nov 23, 2010
994 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
mirwat wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 10:04 am
The installers just left my parents home. My dad spoke with them. He was told that his furnace and home were already very energy efficient and that they were not going to install the thermostat? Does that sound right? I hope my dad wasn’t scammed out of one...
Doesnt sound right at all

The plan stipulations are that I believe you basically need to have a non wifi thermostat and you pretty much qualify.

I would call back into GreenON and inquire further