Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52065 posts
16720 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Yes!
Thanks for the confirmation.

Any reason to sell and get the non-lite4 if I don't have any centralized humidifier/dehumidifier/ smart ventilator?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10682 posts
2904 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
cadave wrote: Got the e-mail as well... kinda disappointed it's only the Nest E, but that's probably still my choice because I have Nest Protects in my house.
I’ve got two Protects. Not enough reason for me to go with the Nest thermostat. Doesn’t seem like they actually integrate all that much for functionally.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3033 posts
725 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
mathewvc wrote: ugh. have built in humidifier, so i would need the ecobee 3 to be functional with it... annoying. just give me a $200 credit then so i can buy a functional device.
I'm also quite disappointed by this as I have a built in humidifier and while waiting for this install I took it upon myself to run a new thermostat wire to take advantage of the ecboee 3's ability to control my humidifier. I wish they would at least offer an option to pay for an upgrade. I am not sure what to do here now.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12509 posts
2998 upvotes
RFD
ChicoQuente wrote: I'm also quite disappointed by this as I have a built in humidifier and while waiting for this install I took it upon myself to run a new thermostat wire to take advantage of the ecboee 3's ability to control my humidifier. I wish they would at least offer an option to pay for an upgrade. I am not sure what to do here now.
Unfortunately it's either take it or decline
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3033 posts
725 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
radeonboy wrote: Unfortunately it's either take it or decline
Oh I know. I just meant I WISH they would, I know that isn't the case. I am actually leaning towards declining at this point. Free is nice, but at the same time I really want to fully use my furnace and humidifier. I'm just going to grab an ecobee on my own I think.
Banned
Feb 12, 2009
1129 posts
290 upvotes
Vaughan
Not sure why they opened their mouth and said it would be ecobee 3 when not confirmed. I also didn’t get one of these update emails and I signed up pretty early on August 30. People I know who signed up way after got the email
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12509 posts
2998 upvotes
RFD
rsxmachine wrote: Not sure why they opened their mouth and said it would be ecobee 3 when not confirmed. I also didn’t get one of these update emails and I signed up pretty early on August 30. People I know who signed up way after got the email
They advertised and came up short under-delivering, everyone thought it was the full version, not the lite version, it is disappointing, I might pass too
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31189 posts
16951 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: Thanks for the confirmation.

Any reason to sell and get the non-lite4 if I don't have any centralized humidifier/dehumidifier/ smart ventilator?
I wouldn't pay more for the non-lite version.
It doesn't even support all of my HRV's features, other than on and off and high and low.
Banned
Feb 12, 2009
1129 posts
290 upvotes
Vaughan
The lite version also doesn’t have a sensor built in so you cannot do home and away without buying additional sensors.

So main difference are no sensor built in, no free additional sensor included and no additional accessories like humidifier.

Basically I will have to buy a 2 pack sensor set for 89 now for this to work like a ecobee 3
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31189 posts
16951 upvotes
Ottawa
hebsie wrote: Stupid question time. Any advantage to having one of these installed if you don't have a smartphone??
I can only speak about the ecobee and you can absolutely use 99% of it's smart feature without a mobile device.
Once you set it up, you will no longer need to touch it, as it will turn the furnace/ac on/off and adjust the temp based on your comfort settings of being at home, while asleep or away :)
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3515 posts
1864 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote: I can only speak about the ecobee and you can absolutely use 99% of it's smart feature without a mobile device.
Once you set it up, you will no longer need to touch it, as it will turn the furnace/ac on/off and adjust the temp based on your comfort settings of being at home, while asleep or away :)
Perfect, thank-you...hebs
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52065 posts
16720 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I wouldn't pay more for the non-lite version.
It doesn't even support all of my HRV's features, other than on and off and high and low.
Oh yeah. I forgot I have a HRV but I turn it on manually. Not even sure if it really works lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12509 posts
2998 upvotes
RFD
alanbrenton wrote: Oh yeah. I forgot I have a HRV but I turn it on manually. Not even sure if it really works lol.
Good to have an HRV, but you need to turn it on always. Should be used continuously.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31189 posts
16951 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: Oh yeah. I forgot I have a HRV but I turn it on manually. Not even sure if it really works lol.
The control switch for mine is right above the ecobee and I couldn't give it up, as there's too many features that the ecobee can't control.
I keep mine on all year round atu20min on and 40min off cycles; which the ecobee can't duplicate.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4574 posts
1469 upvotes
Kingston
What's the difference between ecobee3 and ecobee3 lite? Is the only difference that it lacks the extra sensors or is it more than that?