Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Ontario Incorporation for $300 possible?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2020 4:32 am
Apr 13, 2005
643 posts
432 upvotes
Markham, ON
Anyone know if if there's any way to form a corporation and not be publicly listed as the owner or director??
Jan 6, 2018
31 posts
5 upvotes
If you search for my username, you'll come across a thread where I detail the online reg process for a ONT corporation and fees I paid.

Also, provincial reg doesn't mean you can't sell or sign contracts in other provinces. I do it regularly. But my physical office is in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
194 upvotes
Markham, ON
habsfan9 wrote: So provincial corps don't display your personal info?
The point of registering with the government is so that the public can find you. You have to pay a fee to get information on the Ontario Incorporated business.

The federal is free for information that the public would want. At some point they try to put a two dollar fee. If anyone want to start digging deeper about someone's business, those people find the most basic information at a very nominal fee.

Some people can pay some higher fee for wrong or incorrect information.

If your place of business is your place of residence that's may or may not be a risk.
Aug 8, 2017
40 posts
13 upvotes
One thing I'd like to add to the OP.

If you are worried about the initial fee, you are in for a shocker I think.
It's not the initial cost of incorporating you have to worry about... it's the continual papers, etc. you must handle throughout the year, and every year thereafter as long as you run the corporation.

A family member tried to incorporate a small hobby for a few years, just the basic cost of maintaining corporation status was costing close to 2K a year, so he got frustrated and just dissolved it.

I don't know if federal vs provincial is cheaper in the long run, it may be the same cost. Hopefully someone knows for sure...
Jan 8, 2015
134 posts
57 upvotes
York, ON
Poppwl wrote: If you incorporate online, you have to pay the extra online administrative fees.

If you hand in your paper in person at the office that extra online administrative fee is waived; however, you will have to spend the time to travel to the office and transit fee.

Either pay for transit or internet.
This is false. I just incorporated Federally online yesterday through ic.gc.ca.
200$ dollars gets you a federal incorporation + A province. Now I do not know if each province is priced differently or has additional costs. I incorporated in Ontario and was not charged anything beyond the 200$. (A charge did show up if i wanted to add additional provinces)
Before submitting your papers for federal incorporation you need to get a NUANS report for the name you want to use which is just a fancy name for a report from the govt. that shows whether or not your name is taken by somebody else. It is 13.80$ to do it directly from the govt. site nuans.com which will lead you back to ic.gc.ca for the report. The report is automated and is delivered to your email address almost instantly if not in a few minutes. Attach that report with your federal application and you are good to go.

when I get some more time I am going to write up a post to explain the steps in detail.

Remember to cross check your name with the CBCA regulations to make sure your name won't be rejected (like mine was). Name has to be unique, not generic to its purpose etc... If it is rejected just means you have to waste another 13.80$ to generate a report for a different name. No biggie but for us RFD'ers every cent counts.

I also recommend the addition of Inc. / Incorporated or ltd./limited depending on your business structure at the end of your name. While it is not required legally, by standard when dealing business one must identify the entity clearly as a corporation, the addition of inc / ltd circumvents that.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2003
1236 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
nourel wrote:
when I get some more time I am going to write up a post to explain the steps in detail.
I know this would really be helpful to a lot of people if you wrote out the details.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
194 upvotes
Markham, ON
Praetorian wrote: I know this would really be helpful to a lot of people if you wrote out the details.
The details is actually already on the federal government website where you incorporate so there is really no point to post a step by step here. They even have templates.

Just make sure there is no typos in your document.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
194 upvotes
Markham, ON
habsfan9 wrote: Anyone know if if there's any way to form a corporation and not be publicly listed as the owner or director??
Yes, find someone else who wants to be the director and officer. You be the shareholder. Just make sure you don't go to a province where shareholder information is reported.

Make sure the issuance of your shares us properly documented. This is where you might want a lawyer so there is no dispute in the future.
Jan 9, 2020
2 posts
Reviving this thread with updates.

Cyberbahn (owned by Dye and Durham) is now subscription only - $149/month and it's wrapped up with law office case management software. You can't use it transaction by transaction any more. They used to charge $35.25 to file which was reasonable. This happened with no notice to users -- all of a sudden I was locked out of my account, couldn't access my templates, and there was a checkbox agreeing to terms that I would have to hit to get through. I decided to read the "terms" before I clicked through and, lo and behold, in very small print, it stated I was agreeing to $149/month... this company will never have any of my business again.

OnCorp (also owned by Dye and Durham!! Monopoly much?) charges $179+tax to file articles, which is absolutely ridiculous.

ESC, the only real option left, charges $50 if you have a credit account with them and $55 if you don't, so this is the cheapest but represents a $20 jump from what Cyberbahn used to be.

Considering there are essentially only two providers now, and one of them is nuts and unusable, the Ontario government needs to shake this up and get a third and fourth provider in ASAP. I'm sure the subscription model Dye and Durham is using is against their agreement with the government to provide services to the general public.

Federal incorporation, on the other hand, is now even cheaper than before. I'm sure they heard this was coming and decided to stick it to the private service providers. It still costs $200 to incorporate online, but annual returns are now $12 (formerly $20), some amendments are free and some uncertified corporate documents are free. Unless you're creating a professional corporation, I'd be hard pressed to go the provincial route these days.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1165 posts
158 upvotes
M4W 1J6
ownr.co is about $300 if you open an rbc small business account and $600 if not.
Public Mobile | Koodo
Oct 8, 2010
163 posts
37 upvotes
Raptors wrote: ownr.co is about $300 if you open an rbc small business account and $600 if not.
Also available:

https://www.founded.co/pricing

$499 Federal
$599 Provincial

Some friends have used them in the past. They make it easy to incorporate multiple partners without everyone having to be present. Docs can be sent out virtually for everyone to sign.

They can also manage your company if you have a complex shareholder agreement for milestones, partners coming and going etc.