Careers

Ontario Internship Program (OIP)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2024 7:11 pm
Feb 10, 2009
51 posts
Did anyone get any news regarding a possible interview? Tests are supposed to be over now...
Feb 2, 2008
401 posts
1 upvote
rUn-gUn wrote: I completely understand your frustration but think about the odds to begin with.... Your fighting the odds right from the start, everyone has to go through the exact same process. There simply is not enough opportunities to go around.

I was VERY happy with the process as a whole, I went in with the attitude that I NEEDED the internship but also that realistically if I didn't get it its not because I did bad on the test or the interviews but because the odds beat me out.

I did end up getting the internship and I wish everyone going through the process this year the best of luck!
every job is like that. CRA auditor apprenticeship program they take first 200 qualified application and they hire 10 people. That 5% chance. I think it is about the same or percent or two less. they get around 200 - 800 application. let say policy development is the worst case. thats about 3%. that reality of life you have learn to beat your competition rather complaining about how the process is. There are people who got email and maybe you didnt stack up well. some people realize that and move on. government job is all about being objective basically you get marks on interview, resume or test. it is not like because they like they can hire you.
Aug 13, 2003
169 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
queens123456 wrote: Just wanted to share my frustration towards the OIP application process. Last year, in my fourth and final year of my undergrad program, I applied to the program and made it to the interview stage. The interview didn't go as well as it could have, but I was accepted to a Master's program, so I went to the interview with the intention of gaining experience.

However, I reapplied to OIP this year. I am half way through my Master's program and I did not even make it to the testing stage. I think the selection system is skewed and needs to be corrected. It's disappointing that they wouldn't even consider someone with an advanced education as an applicant.

Oh well, guess I didn't include the "key" words with my application this year.
Wow, talk about misplacing blame onto the process rather than looking towards the weaknesses in your own application. I highly doubt that the screening of online applications is based purely on key words searching program. Also did you ever think that maybe this year there was a stronger pool of applicants now that there is a recession and higher unemployment? Honestly, if you are only in the progress of completing a masters and you think you deserve a shot, you should meet the people in the orientation who have finished a masters AND had relevant work experience in the govt. Its all about the pool of applicants in comparison to you and if you don't measure up, apply next year and hopefully yours stands out above the rest.
Feb 10, 2009
51 posts
ArcLyte wrote: Wow, talk about misplacing blame onto the process rather than looking towards the weaknesses in your own application. I highly doubt that the screening of online applications is based purely on key words searching program. Also did you ever think that maybe this year there was a stronger pool of applicants now that there is a recession and higher unemployment? Honestly, if you are only in the progress of completing a masters and you think you deserve a shot, you should meet the people in the orientation who have finished a masters AND had relevant work experience in the govt. Its all about the pool of applicants in comparison to you and if you don't measure up, apply next year and hopefully yours stands out above the rest.
A few things are not correct:
- She may not be able to apply next year, there is a time limit.
- Recession & unemployment might be a good reason to justify, but the OIP is strictly reserved to recent graduates, which is going to eliminate a fair amount of people who have been let go recently.
- It's an INTERNSHIP, so theoretically, experience is not supposed to be a key point in your application, although it may very well be.

IMHO, I don't think the screening was only done with keywords, otherwise I would have been out from the very beginning since my application was much more about describing my honest feelings than trying to put as many keywords as possible.

The only point that leaves me thinking was the fact that the OIP is supposed to be a public position, inheriting the requirements of a public recruitment process: clarity and transparency (am I correct?). In this case, the recruiting was outsourced to a private company which is operating as it seems fit: recruitment conditions are not very clear, leaving the door open to discrimination (good or bad).

Btw, for all of you who didn't make it this year but made it last year, do you know if the recruiting agency was the same in 2008 as in 2009 (HR associates)? That may explain a few things.

Also, I cannot remember if during the Internet application, a copy of the curriculum vitae was required. I'm afraid I might have done a (honest) mistake which would require me to send a new version, but I fear I may be eliminated on the ground that my r
Jan 8, 2009
90 posts
1 upvote
Resumes were not required. the app asked you to list a bit of history but that is it.

HR Associates is a well know firm that staffs many gov term positions and is doing a very good job of providing a clear and transparent process if you ask me.

s/he will be able to apply as s/he listed that they are half way through a masters program that they only just started this year (must be a 1 yr program).

The number of apps will undoubtedly increase with this years economical condition. I know I for one have applied to every possible opportunity i see out there just for that very reason.

Honestly, I think this forum it getting away from it's main focus. Let's try to bring it back!!

So, for those who did take the test how do you think you did? Was it what you were expecting.

For me, I felt the question was very fair and I think I provided a decent answer but it took me awhile to draft because I really was just not expecting that.
Feb 2, 2008
401 posts
1 upvote
suzzy wrote: Resumes were not required. the app asked you to list a bit of history but that is it.

HR Associates is a well know firm that staffs many gov term positions and is doing a very good job of providing a clear and transparent process if you ask me.

s/he will be able to apply as s/he listed that they are half way through a masters program that they only just started this year (must be a 1 yr program).

The number of apps will undoubtedly increase with this years economical condition. I know I for one have applied to every possible opportunity i see out there just for that very reason.

Honestly, I think this forum it getting away from it's main focus. Let's try to bring it back!!

So, for those who did take the test how do you think you did? Was it what you were expecting.

For me, I felt the question was very fair and I think I provided a decent answer but it took me awhile to draft because I really was just not expecting that.
they ask for resume and references : aap in the interview stage.
Feb 4, 2009
10 posts
suzzy wrote:

ditto for me. I'm not sure my answer was particular enough....but we'll see I guess. I was definitely surprised by it.

which focus area? I was policy.
Jan 8, 2009
90 posts
1 upvote
rjonline1 wrote: ditto for me. I'm not sure my answer was particular enough....but we'll see I guess. I was definitely surprised by it.

which focus area? I was policy.

i went for program and service delivery but something tells me all the questions revolved around the same thing.
Feb 4, 2009
10 posts
Haha yeah maybe. Although the question was quite specific to policy development.

And so begins the week of reckoning. Please post if you have any news regarding an interview -- and don't forget to add your focus area!

R
Aug 10, 2005
531 posts
44 upvotes
Chatham
I am sorry that you did not get selected. This year I understand that OIP received approximately 4,000 applicants for a limited number of positions.
queens123456 wrote: Just wanted to share my frustration towards the OIP application process. Last year, in my fourth and final year of my undergrad program, I applied to the program and made it to the interview stage. The interview didn't go as well as it could have, but I was accepted to a Master's program, so I went to the interview with the intention of gaining experience.

However, I reapplied to OIP this year. I am half way through my Master's program and I did not even make it to the testing stage. I think the selection system is skewed and needs to be corrected. It's disappointing that they wouldn't even consider someone with an advanced education as an applicant.

Oh well, guess I didn't include the "key" words with my application this year.
Feb 7, 2009
5 posts
Just out of curiousity, did anyone who sent their application in early (say, before Jan. 20th) get invited to the written test?

Anyone know of any non-Canadian citizens/perm residents applying?
Feb 11, 2009
81 posts
1 upvote
anyone hear of an interview yet? i applied to HR, nothing yet
Jun 5, 2008
281 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
melz wrote: anyone hear of an interview yet? i applied to HR, nothing yet
I keep checking their timeline to see if the written test check mark goes up. I figure after they put up that check mark they move to calling people.
Feb 10, 2009
51 posts
aet618 wrote: Just out of curiousity, did anyone who sent their application in early (say, before Jan. 20th) get invited to the written test?

Anyone know of any non-Canadian citizens/perm residents applying?
I sent my app on the 29th, as I learned about the OIP on the 27th and made it to the written test (so far).

Re: non-Canadian, it is explicitly stated that they are authorized to enter the recruitment process. Not too sure why you ask for that anyway...
anyone hear of an interview yet? i applied to HR, nothing yet
Nothing here. I now think that due to the increased number of applicants, they are running behind their schedule.
Feb 11, 2009
81 posts
1 upvote
nope! nothing yet..sigh...it's already wednesday and they said by end of this week they were sending out invitations to the interview...has anyone got anything? and if so please state what focus area you are in...im in HR
Feb 11, 2009
81 posts
1 upvote
annnnnnd considering monday is the first interview date...some people would have had to know by now because some focus areas require a presentation in the interview....so these ppl would need to know
Feb 11, 2009
12 posts
Do you think the fact the checkmark is up that they've notified all eligible candidates? I feel like when we were receiving invitations to the written test, the checkmark was not up until they were done sending everyone emails....It is still early though.

At least SOME of the people on this board will have had to receive invitations to move forward. It would be an impossible feat for no one to have not!
Feb 11, 2009
81 posts
1 upvote
hmmmm....im not sure what the checkmark would mean...im guessing it just means that that stage of the process is done...ie...testing = done...but i do agree with you....somone on this board must have been invited for an interview....so it would be nice to hear..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)