Careers

Ontario Internship Program (OIP)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2017 9:22 pm
May 15, 2017
3 posts
One of my friends who went to the interview did not receive the reference check email today. So I don't think they are checking references for everyone.
Mar 11, 2011
6 posts
1 upvote
toronto
I had given up on them - started my job search for real. BUT... Today I got my offer!! Wow!! only a month late, but it's OK. I'll take it! It's Communications stream, BTW. Good luck to everyone else!
Mar 18, 2015
826 posts
161 upvotes
Antarctica
Does anyone know if you can transition from information technology to business and planning later on? I suppose the IT section in govt will get your skills stagnated real quick?
Feb 1, 2017
45 posts
5 upvotes
Crichtonfan wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:03 pm
Does anyone know if you can transition from information technology to business and planning later on? I suppose the IT section in govt will get your skills stagnated real quick?
I think you could apply to a position in business and planning if it opens up and I guess if it matches your experience or skill sets but I doubt you can switch within the internship program itself.
Perhaps you can ask to switch right now?
Which area within IT did you apply for and why do you think your skills will be stagnated?
Mar 18, 2015
826 posts
161 upvotes
Antarctica
theordinary wrote:
May 17th, 2017 8:42 pm
I think you could apply to a position in business and planning if it opens up and I guess if it matches your experience or skill sets but I doubt you can switch within the internship program itself.
Perhaps you can ask to switch right now?
Which area within IT did you apply for and why do you think your skills will be stagnated?
Cant apply yet as I am not a graduate.

As for stagnation, I just hear this a lot especially on these forums (I know , everything here needs a huge Boulder of salt but still) that govt jobs tend to result in stagnation of skills.

I suppose IT to business shouldn't be as hard of a transition as the two depts tend to interact​ pretty "well".

Not taking about applying to IT and then switching to business right away, more like working for a bit, making cross Dept connections , learning the business practices and then making the jump.
Apr 12, 2017
22 posts
Hi there - Is there anyone in the HR stream who's had all their references checked and is waiting to hear back?
Apr 10, 2017
25 posts
2 upvotes
Emeraldoip wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:16 pm
Hi there - Is there anyone in the HR stream who's had all their references checked and is waiting to hear back?
I'm not in HR stream, but this was the e-mail I received a while back:
"We are currently conducting reference checks and making additional conditional job offers. Please note this will continue until the end of May 2017.
If you do not hear from us by the end of May, please follow up and we will inform you of your status. "

I received my offer early this week. I think you have a good chance of hearing back soon since you had your references checked back in April. Good luck!
Apr 12, 2017
22 posts
risxli wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:47 pm
I'm not in HR stream, but this was the e-mail I received a while back:
"We are currently conducting reference checks and making additional conditional job offers. Please note this will continue until the end of May 2017.
If you do not hear from us by the end of May, please follow up and we will inform you of your status. "

I received my offer early this week. I think you have a good chance of hearing back soon since you had your references checked back in April. Good luck!
Okay, great! Thanks, that helps! I just sent them an email yesterday (haven't heard back yet) but I'm assuming I'll get a similar response. Congrats on the offer!! :)
May 25, 2011
37 posts
3 upvotes
Emeraldoip wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:56 pm
Okay, great! Thanks, that helps! I just sent them an email yesterday (haven't heard back yet) but I'm assuming I'll get a similar response. Congrats on the offer!! :)
If you still haven't heard back and you got your references checked back in April, I guess it doesn't bode well for us that just got our references checked yesterday :( I really hope this whole thing of "increasing the intake for 2017" means that everyone who gets their reference checked this year will get an offer. Looking back in the forum, there seems to be quite a lot of people who did not get an offer even though they got their references checked....I'm seriously hoping this year it will be different.
Apr 12, 2017
22 posts
skip2mylou123 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:02 pm
If you still haven't heard back and you got your references checked back in April, I guess it doesn't bode well for us that just got our references checked yesterday :( I really hope this whole thing of "increasing the intake for 2017" means that everyone who gets their reference checked this year will get an offer. Looking back in the forum, there seems to be quite a lot of people who did not get an offer even though they got their references checked....I'm seriously hoping this year it will be different.
I wouldn't assume anything to be honest. Having your references checked is a very good sign as I know for sure they don't do it for everyone who was interviewed. I also do know that people get their references checked and offers weeks apart even in the same stream. Also, don't go by the statistics on this forum - we are just a handful here that are active :)

Hang in there and remain positive. Since you've had yours checked recently, maybe you can get an offer as far as June.
May 25, 2011
37 posts
3 upvotes
Emeraldoip wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:15 pm
I wouldn't assume anything to be honest. Having your references checked is a very good sign as I know for sure they don't do it for everyone who was interviewed. I also do know that people get their references checked and offers weeks apart even in the same stream. Also, don't go by the statistics on this forum - we are just a handful here that are active :)

Hang in there and remain positive. Since you've had yours checked recently, maybe you can get an offer as far as June.
Thanks! I really hope so....I called HR Associates and they told me that all offers "should" be rolled out by the end of the month. This is why even for my reference check email, it stated that the references would be contacted within 1 business day as opposed to the normal 3-5 business days given back in April. It seems like a this point they are fast tracking it and trying to wrap it up as soon as possible. So I hope we don't have to wait for much longer...
Last edited by skip2mylou123 on May 19th, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 10, 2017
25 posts
2 upvotes
Emeraldoip wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:15 pm

I agree. They don't provide full details until early-mid June (according to the offer e-mail I received). At the rate things have been going, I wouldn't be surprised if they're still sending out offers in mid-June. Good luck!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)