Careers

Ontario Internship Program (OIP)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 10:55 pm
Feb 1, 2018
35 posts
7 upvotes
To my understanding we're good.

Doug Ford doesn't have power yet and won't have power until he takes office on June 29th. So he's pretty much saying the standard election hiring freeze will continue once he takes office. This could even be good for OIPers seeing as internal hiring is allowed so we'll be one of the few people eligible to replace any retirees and people who leave voluntarily.
Aug 31, 2006
247 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
No.
Hiring freeze refers to both internal and external hiring.
Most jobs (existing or new) are open internally.

Competitors wise, you will have to include all OPS employees (permanent and temporary).
There are also direct assignment....

With hiring freeze, OPS employees (including OIP graduates) will find less opportunities/job openings internally, while the competitor pool remains the same.
Feb 1, 2018
35 posts
7 upvotes
Devo wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 9:06 pm
No.
Hiring freeze refers to both internal and external hiring.
Most jobs (existing or new) are open internally.

Competitors wise, you will have to include all OPS employees (permanent and temporary).
There are also direct assignment....

With hiring freeze, OPS employees (including OIP graduates) will find less opportunities/job openings internally, while the competitor pool remains the same.
I may have used the wrong term, by internal hiring I mean to say lateral moves will be permitted as normal.

See quote from Globe and Mail article...

"Essential front-line services, which include correctional workers, along with police and firefighters employed by the provincial government, will be exempt from the hiring freeze. There will be a few other exemptions to the edict, including new employees to fulfill collective agreements, as well as lateral moves and hires from inside the ranks of the more than 60,000 members of the public service."

Source: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... -servants/
Aug 31, 2006
247 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
With all being said, the competitor pool will be the same internally with less opportunities.

And you are not the very few to be eligible to replace any retirees and people who leave voluntarily.

The government can only limit the # of new hirings (internally & externally), but everyone within OPS regardless your status always has the opportunity to apply except the following condition.
Managers can make its hiring as direct assignment, which is limited to their office staffs only. Not the government
Feb 1, 2018
35 posts
7 upvotes
But the external pool disappears? Which would be good for us no? I'm saying this because my old OPS manager said the last major hiring freeze (Harris govt I think) meant there was a demand for younger employees to replace those lost via attrition and retirement via transfer.
May 19, 2015
600 posts
205 upvotes
rednorthern wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 9:17 pm
I may have used the wrong term, by internal hiring I mean to say lateral moves will be permitted as normal.

"Essential front-line services, which include correctional workers, along with police and firefighters employed by the provincial government, will be exempt from the hiring freeze. There will be a few other exemptions to the edict, including new employees to fulfill collective agreements, as well as lateral moves and hires from inside the ranks of the more than 60,000 members of the public service."

But are we considered lateral moves? I dont know about other streams but the salary of policy and PSD is like 2/3 of what a "regular" employee makes doing the same things
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Aug 31, 2006
247 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Managers cannot demand to interview certain age group applicants as it is against human right.

I cant tell if your known OPS manager was telling your his insider news or not.

As I had mentioned, there are internal jobs that are meant for direct assignment and recent laid off.
Keep in mind, managers usually interview 4-6 candidates for 1 position except if it is a 'talent pool'

Generally speaking, OIP grad and other OPS temporary staff shall find less job postings in upcoming months.
But things will always change. I HAD seen this hiring drama flip flop from time to time.

From my personal experience, internal job seekers has less competitors during Summer and Christmas as many employees will be away from vacation and miss the job application deadline.
With Ford new policy, some offices may have unused budget remaining prior to March. Directors/Managers may decide to spend it on hiring contract staff.
For certain positions, they can hire someone externally without the hiring process.

There are various paths that will lead you to a permanent position.
OPS are very much like Universities, it's harder to get in than getting kicked out.
Last edited by Devo on Jun 18th, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 31, 2006
247 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I am pretty sure OIP grads are considered, unless changes are made.

Each OPS position has a category (Policy, Computer.....) and level (1, 2 , 3) with a range of paid.
Usually staff starts from the minimum range and gradually increase every year on your merit until your salary reaches its maximum range.

However, if you were already an OPS employee and let say you are currently paid - 3 dollars.
For the new position, the range of paid is 1 dollar - 5 dollars.
Your paid for your new position shall not be below 3 dollars.
Feb 1, 2018
35 posts
7 upvotes
the manager wasn't suggesting younger employees were getting preference, so much more they were more likely to show interest in those positions as older employees retired and attritioned (left to do consulting etc.) out
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1778 posts
283 upvotes
Burlington
rednorthern wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 9:17 pm

I wonder what happens to other government agencies like Metrolinx, Legal Aid Ontario, Agco and even the Lao, they regularly post on the Government of Ontario website, some news websites are saying they are part of the freeze as well but in theory that should mean someone moving from Metrolinx to the Ministry of Finance or vice versa should still be able to happen.

Also for postings that just recently closed, I wonder if the ministries/departments can still go ahead and finish those processes, it wasn't too clear from the articles I read.
Mar 25, 2018
10 posts
2 upvotes
Did we get info about dress codes? I know it’s business casual, but still. Interested if there was any communication about it.
May 19, 2015
600 posts
205 upvotes
Leveraged wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 1:36 pm
Did we get info about dress codes? I know it’s business casual, but still. Interested if there was any communication about it.
It depends on your office. Some are more casual or more formal than others. You could ask your mentor if they’ll get back to you before Tuesday.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Feb 2, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
Has anyone gotten any information about the orientation? In the contracts we got ages ago it said "Details to RSVP to the orientation will follow shortly" but I haven't gotten anything.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)