Page 1 of 408

Ontario Internship Program (OIP)

Posted: Jan 7th, 2009 2:25 am
by Justine
Has anyone applied for this before? had any good jobs through this program?

I am applying for it right now, it's my first time and I am not sure which focus area to be considered for.

The choices are:
Business and Financial Planning
Communications
Human Resources
Information Technology
Labour Relations
Policy Development
Project Management
Program and Service Delivery

Going through the application, it looks like the focus area is pretty important because it goes on to ask questions like "Please describe three work experiences and how those experiences relate to the focus area that you have selected. Your work experiences may be paid, unpaid, or volunteer.".. Ugh. I don't really like any of those focus areas. I would want to do land and resources or environmental.

Re: Ontario Internship Program (OIP)

Posted: Jan 7th, 2009 6:31 am
by cgtlky
Justine wrote: Has anyone applied for this before? had any good jobs through this program?

I am applying for it right now, it's my first time and I am not sure which focus area to be considered for.

The choices are:
Business and Financial Planning
Communications
Human Resources
Information Technology
Labour Relations
Policy Development
Project Management
Program and Service Delivery

Going through the application, it looks like the focus area is pretty important because it goes on to ask questions like "Please describe three work experiences and how those experiences relate to the focus area that you have selected. Your work experiences may be paid, unpaid, or volunteer.".. Ugh. I don't really like any of those focus areas. I would want to do land and resources or environmental.
How did you apply for this internship? Is there any link? Thanks

Posted: Jan 7th, 2009 1:24 pm
by Sash[DSL]

Posted: Jan 7th, 2009 1:27 pm
by 7jai
'Sash[DSL wrote:;8031087']Google is your friend. http://www.internship.gov.on.ca/mbs/sdb ... lishedHOME
+1

Thanks for the reminder on the OIP! I almost forgot to apply as well! I think I'm going to refer some university friends to apply as well since they recently graduated and are looking for jobs as well :)

Thanks OP!

Posted: Jan 7th, 2009 1:40 pm
by ArcLyte
I'm an intern right now in BFP, if you want to do land/enviro you might want to apply for policy development. If you're still unsure just send an email to the OIP people and I'm sure they'll answer your question.

Posted: Jan 7th, 2009 2:33 pm
by adeel
How much pay to these internships normally offer?

Posted: Jan 7th, 2009 2:53 pm
by puff_daddy_58_99
It's a fantastic program. Great way to gain experience, make contacts, and get a good entry into government work. Be prepared to work hard and make an impression. The interview process is pretty long and thorough as well, so don't expect to have an offer in a week or anything.

Posted: Jan 7th, 2009 10:05 pm
by Justine
adeel wrote: How much pay to these internships normally offer?
Salary levels for the OIP are currently under review. The 2009 salary levels for interns are estimated to be in the range of $42,000 to $50,000 per year.

Posted: Jan 7th, 2009 10:08 pm
by Justine
ArcLyte wrote: I'm an intern right now in BFP, if you want to do land/enviro you might want to apply for policy development. If you're still unsure just send an email to the OIP people and I'm sure they'll answer your question.
I have no experience in that though, I want to try for the focus area that I can get in for.. it's hard to the answer the questions in the app when you have no experience in that area. I could really use an internship like this.

Posted: Jan 7th, 2009 10:09 pm
by Justine
puff_daddy_58_99 wrote: It's a fantastic program. Great way to gain experience, make contacts, and get a good entry into government work. Be prepared to work hard and make an impression. The interview process is pretty long and thorough as well, so don't expect to have an offer in a week or anything.
Have you done the interview before? what's it like?

First Year

Posted: Jan 8th, 2009 2:02 pm
by rUn-gUn
I'm in my first year of the Ontario Internship Program and so far its been great.

The whole hiring process is as follows:

1) Online application + resume/coverletter
2) 90 minute essay style written test specific to your focus area
3) Reference Checks
3) Presentation + Interview

The interview is very structured, and fair as everyone gets the same 5 questions specific to their focus area. I can't really go into details... But the whole process was excellent.

Posted: Jan 9th, 2009 12:34 am
by CSR
rUn-gUn wrote: I'm in my first year of the Ontario Internship Program and so far its been great.

3) Reference Checks

The interview is very structured, and fair as everyone gets the same 5 questions specific to their focus area. I can't really go into details... But the whole process was excellent.
What was the presentation about?

Posted: Jan 9th, 2009 12:30 pm
by rUn-gUn
I can say that the presentation question was very open ended and specific to my focus area which is "Information Technology".

To be successful during this wohle process just be yourself, use common sense and try to think about how your focus area directly relates to assisting the governments objectives in providing service to it's citizens. You will get lots of information sifting through the www.gov.on.ca sites.

Don't worry about it too much, the whole point of the presentation, written test and interview is to show you have effective communication skills and that you will be a good fit as a public servant.

hey

Posted: Jan 13th, 2009 6:57 pm
by nabil114
what are the key priorities? is it this http://www.gov.on.ca/ont/portal/!ut/p/. ... L01_228249 ?

Posted: Jan 13th, 2009 8:42 pm
by 7jai
nabil114 wrote: what are the key priorities? is it this http://www.gov.on.ca/ont/portal/!ut/p/. ... L01_228249 ?
???

hey

Posted: Jan 14th, 2009 8:11 pm
by nabil114
7jai wrote: ???
for the job that one of the question hows you area support ontario government key priorities.

essay stly written test?

Posted: Jan 14th, 2009 8:55 pm
by linda_hu100
Hi, Could you please talk more about 90 min essay style written test?
Is that they give you a topic to let you write essay?

thanks a lot

Linda

rUn-gUn wrote: I'm in my first year of the Ontario Internship Program and so far its been great.

3) Reference Checks

Posted: Jan 14th, 2009 9:33 pm
by unpossible
i have a buddy in this program...the interview process is pretty intense...be prepared!!

Posted: Jan 15th, 2009 9:30 am
by rUn-gUn
linda_hu100 wrote: Hi, Could you please talk more about 90 min essay style written test?
Is that they give you a topic to let you write essay?

thanks a lot

Linda
Yes, they give you a very open ended topic related to your focus area but you don't get it until the day of writing the exam at wherever your exam location may be.

The whole process is very structured they will give you all the information you need as you progress.

The interview process was a little intense only because it was my first panel interview and the first interview related to my field, however it was very easy to understand the questions and relate them to my field of work.

I wouldn't worry about the specifics, just think about why you are applying to this program, how it will benefit you, what you bring to the table with your educational background and personality and ultimately how your focus area assists the governments key priorities.

Posted: Jan 18th, 2009 12:19 pm
by scottydont
Just wanted to say thanks for telling RFD about it! I had no idea this program even existed. It seems very competitive, but I'm going to apply.