• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2018 10:15 am
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
372 posts
65 upvotes
Ontario

Ontario Laws on Posting Videos to Social Media

I recently saw a video posted to social media where a mom was with her 3 kids at a shopping mall. One child was in the stroller outside of the store (in the hallway), while the mom and kids were in the store. Someone saw the "abandoned" child and video taped it and posted to social media. It has now been shared over 16,000 times, and viewed even more. The faces of all 3 kids and the mom are visible. I don't agree with the mom's actions whatsoever, but my question is ..... are people allowed to post videos to social media of other people's children without their consent??
5 replies
Dec 25, 2017
649 posts
448 upvotes
Rockwood
Acheewawa wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 11:12 am
I recently saw a video posted to social media where a mom was with her 3 kids at a shopping mall. One child was in the stroller outside of the store (in the hallway), while the mom and kids were in the store. Someone saw the "abandoned" child and video taped it and posted to social media. It has now been shared over 16,000 times, and viewed even more. The faces of all 3 kids and the mom are visible. I don't agree with the mom's actions whatsoever, but my question is ..... are people allowed to post videos to social media of other people's children without their consent??
If you're in a public setting there is no expectation of privacy.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28118 posts
3763 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Privacy is dead in the internet age.

... but consider this, if we were living in the 70s, what the mother did would be totally acceptable. Kids could play on the streets alone etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1066 posts
129 upvotes
Markham, ON
I don't understand why every behaviour perceived as unacceptable have to be video recorded and posted on the internet. Sometimes, you don't even know if the video posted captured everything that happened before or after the behaviour recorded.

People don't have the decency to go up to a person and actually talk to them anymore. People are too used to talking through a screen now.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1236 posts
635 upvotes
Montreal
None12 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 10:49 am
If you're in a public setting there is no expectation of privacy.
Certainly not true in Quebec, where the mother could sue and collect damages (see the supreme Court Vice Versa case).

Sorry, I don't know about Ontario.

As for the mother's actions, I can't say they bother me without knowing more details. (How far away she got, was kid out of sight etc.).
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
372 posts
65 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks for the responses. It's kind of scary to think that anyone can take pictures or videos of someone's children and post on the internet for all to see. I thought there would be some sort of law against this where the poster would have to get permission from the parents.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)