Careers

Ontario Liberals pass legislation to boost the minimum wage from $11.40 to $14 in 2018, and then $15 in 2019

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2018 10:22 am
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
dimple1947 wrote: Is this a done deal ? And a law that come Jan 1, 2018 - minimum wage will be $ 15/hr ?

Or its just a suggestion & far from being implemented ?
This minimum-wage hike is not a done deal. The public hearings on this wrapped up last week.
The plan is to boost the minimum wage to $14 on Jan. 1 and to $15 in 2019. This is a 32 per cent increase in less than 18 months.

fyi, Ontario’s minimum wage increase is included in proposed legislation along with equal pay for part-time workers, increased vacation entitlements and expanded personal emergency leave.

The economic case for a higher minimum wage: Editorial
The arguments against the $15 minimum wage don’t hold up — and the choice between social and economic ends is a false one.
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editori ... orial.html
Jul 20, 2017
568 posts
125 upvotes
Will the minimum wage be the same for employees with benefits and those without?
If the answer is yes, it means companies will be cutting benefits if they have some....The value of a good benefit package, based on family size, could be more then the raise. So a lot of employees making $12-13 an hour now, who have benefits, might be worse off after the minimum wage raise, if the benefits are cut....
Jul 20, 2017
568 posts
125 upvotes
It seems I got the worst answer to my post: my wife told me that their boss told them unofficially, that they can expect layoffs, or a cut in hours...also told them that depending on the exact final version, might not even afford to keep anybody part time ( they were not getting benefits..) They will get rid of people making less then $15, keep the ones who make more currently ( makes a lot of sense, but it hurts)
so on one side small business owner, on the other side wife loosing minimum wage job...as for all the cctb benefits, no longer have kids under 18, but still paying for their school ( with no more tuition tax credits in ON and reduced federal)
Time to close shop, move to Ecuador, let kids get max OSAP free tuition...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
renoldman wrote: Loblaw's view:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... e35802543/

"Loblaw revealed on Wednesday that plans for minimum-wage increases in Ontario and Alberta could add about $190-million of labour expenses to the retailer in 2018 alone."

Over the last 4 years, Loblaws has average net income of roughly $565 Million. $190 Million is about 33% of their average net income. In 2016, net income was $983 Million, so $190 Million would be just a little more than 20% of their net income.

"[Galen] outlined ways Loblaw is looking at to find savings, including increasingly digitizing manual invoice jobs; rolling out more self-checkouts at its Shoppers Drug Mart stores; using analytics to reduce inventory and ensure goods are available when customers want them; and using predictive tools to improve the effectiveness of discounting."
Yeah... worked at Loblaws for some time in a higher up position. These numbers are the biggest crock of shit I've seen; I've come to expect nothing less from national corporations who build their bank on the backs of minimum wage workers while raking in profits of $500,000,000 a year.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Again, what's really angering about this is this was due to an election ploy. And also the rules limiting flexibility on scheduling.

I for one, seeing a pound of wings going up to $20, and pint of beer to $10 for a cheap domestic beer will feel no guilt in tipping 5%. Also expect more machines which is fine for younger folk like me, and more shoddy service.

Another thing a business owner said was those getting paid $15/hr will be pissed, and as such, they'll likely have to raise the wage to still be higher than the person that just started.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes
Hiking minimum wage up by this much is nothing more than a political move to buy votes. In reality it probably has the opposite of the intended effects.

It's only the bigger already profitable companies that can afford such a hike. The mom and pop shops suffer a lot. Talk about hurting small businesses...

Many stores will raise prices, more or less erasing the benefits earned. Those who make a little more will soon find that their spending power has not increased. Meanwhile every other consumer not making minimum wage will suffer as prices go up.

Employers may choose to hire less, or seek ways to automate. Jobs may be lost.

Income tax revenue for the government will go up. They get to collect more CPP and EI. Would personal tax exemption limit rise as well? Probably not in the short term.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
just saw in a shopers drug mart the other day in the mall...........only 1 cashier, and 3 self-serve checkouts........long lineup.
guess what, we used the self-serve checkout.
Get ready for such scenarios to be more and more common once $15 kicks in
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Noticed in Guelph, Walmart installed a bunch of self serve checkouts with less cashiers
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I'm not going to shoplift but I would feel less guilty to skip scanning a few products with these self-serve check outs.

Even with the $1 McD thread, people are more comfortable re-registering the app to avail of the $1 Big Mac at the kiosks but not over at the cashier.

We'll have to see how cost effective these self-check outs are.

I think it's being penny wise but pound foolish for many grocers.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: I'm not going to shoplift but I would feel less guilty to skip scanning a few products with these self-serve check outs.

Even with the $1 McD thread, people are more comfortable re-registering the app to avail of the $1 Big Mac at the kiosks but not over at the cashier.

Knowingly skipping items at a self checkout is the same crime as shoplifting (theft).
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote: I'm not going to shoplift but I would feel less guilty to skip scanning a few products with these self-serve check outs.
Really? I'd feel like I was stealing, because I would be.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: Really? I'd feel like I was stealing, because I would be.
I never said it wasn't stealing. It's just much easier to do without human element involved.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote: I never said it wasn't stealing. It's just much easier to do without human element involved.
Easier, yes. Wouldn't make me feel less guilty though.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: Easier, yes. Wouldn't make me feel less guilty though.
No one is singling you out as a shoplifter.

I think you guys are right. I thought the greeter provided a human element but they also check contents against the receipt, which is probably the theft deterrent.
http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... d504ce1dd3
http://fortune.com/2016/05/04/walmart-b ... ght-theft/
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes

I see people stealing the plastic bags -_-"
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3867 upvotes
Antarctica
Or instead of skipping scanning, you could just try to live by reducing as many of the 'things' you buy as you can. (I know this is RFD, but not everyone comes on this forum to find out how to throw money out on deals, some of us want to find out if the stuff we need can be bought for cheaper). Buy less stuff and only when you need it. You will be surprised at how much crap an average person has in their room that is used probably once a year or never.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3867 upvotes
Antarctica
apnayloags wrote: just saw in a shopers drug mart the other day in the mall...........only 1 cashier, and 3 self-serve checkouts........long lineup.
guess what, we used the self-serve checkout.
Get ready for such scenarios to be more and more common once $15 kicks in
I have seen this happen for years at SDM and many places. When min wage was $8, $10, $11 etc.

Only a min wage of $0 will stop companies from automating processes. If I can add another million to my net income by automating, I dont give a crap about whether the guys are being paid $15, $11 or $5 an hour.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)