Careers

Ontario Liberals pass legislation to boost the minimum wage from $11.40 to $14 in 2018, and then $15 in 2019

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:24 am
Mar 18, 2015
829 posts
166 upvotes
Antarctica
abc123yyz wrote:
May 30th, 2017 11:26 pm
You're only looking at large corporations what about the thousands of small businesses? This will have a ripple effect, those that are already making $15 an hour will want an increase because they will not work for the minimum wage. So someone making $15 an hour now will demand 18-19 an hour. Sure there comes a point where the ripple will stop but it does have an impact. If the liberals really want to put more money in people's pocket but don't want to hurt small businesses, they should offer a tax credit to directly offset the hike in wages. Large corporations wouldn't get this credit. Also those that are retired and rely on OAS etc will be hurt because oas is indexed to national inflation not just inflation in Ontario which will presumably be higher, so now their purchasing power has reduced.

What about daycare costs? After the NDP here in Alberta increased minimum wage we got a letter from both our kids daycare saying they are increasing fees to offset.
May be this is the point where we realize we need some major fix to this outdated financial system which has failed to outpace what it created (globalization, automation, efficiency for owners, inflated gap, dwindling and non-existent middle class, the tension between "go getter boomers" and "lazy millenials").

Every big business was a small business once. Also having worked for both types, I see the same disregard for an employee from both Mr. CEO. and the pop at small business. Both cut corners, both have OHS violations, and both cry about someone making a livable wage. If your small business is so dependent on ripping off the couple of guys you enslave, may be work on it yourself or realize it's not gonna work out? People who think one day they will be the boot and not be the bootlickers get no sympathy either.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4863 posts
937 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Crichtonfan wrote:
Jun 10th, 2017 6:41 pm
May be this is the point where we realize we need some major fix to this outdated financial system which has failed to outpace what it created (globalization, automation, efficiency for owners, inflated gap, dwindling and non-existent middle class, the tension between "go getter boomers" and "lazy millenials").

Every big business was a small business once. Also having worked for both types, I see the same disregard for an employee from both Mr. CEO. and the pop at small business. Both cut corners, both have OHS violations, and both cry about someone making a livable wage. If your small business is so dependent on ripping off the couple of guys you enslave, may be work on it yourself or realize it's not gonna work out? People who think one day they will be the boot and not be the bootlickers get no sympathy either.
Employee life sucks, but employment is just a business. You're just paid market value as concequence of supply and demand. Most people devote their lives to finding an employer to hold their hand and write them a certain lifestyle. Reality is that is a dangerous reliance to hold, and that's why you usually don't make money working for someone else.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9640 posts
1282 upvotes
Toronto
This in today's metro news:

It will be hilarious to see these take over the restaurants/fast food places. I for one would be more than fine if it keeps prices down. Also, waiters/servers are getting much better payoffs and a liveable wage so less tipping. It's not just the $/hr, but I think the inflexibility the Government will put on that will be the ultimate instigator of this movement on top of the costs.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41597 posts
10237 upvotes
Old but relevant news. I guess restaurant owners did not raise their staff's rate much. Are we back to tipping the equivalent of HST or about 10% before tax?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/m ... -1.3677096

Minhas is against the practice of mandatory tipping and said it's time for restaurant owners to step up and treat their service staff better.

"If they really believe that their chef should be paid more — they pay them more! Then what they get as a tip should be above and beyond."
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4173 posts
1381 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 12:09 pm
This in today's metro news:

It will be hilarious to see these take over the restaurants/fast food places. I for one would be more than fine if it keeps prices down. Also, waiters/servers are getting much better payoffs and a liveable wage so less tipping. It's not just the $/hr, but I think the inflexibility the Government will put on that will be the ultimate instigator of this movement on top of the costs.
I heard that in australia, those kioks are much more prevalent due to high min wage there.

We'll see accelerated adoption of such kioks in canada as well.
Feb 17, 2014
132 posts
13 upvotes
KANATA
We can always have those vending machines for ramen noodles in Japan. I thought it was quite efficient and straight to the point.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7683 posts
1383 upvotes
jlee225 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 2:41 pm
We can always have those vending machines for ramen noodles in Japan. I thought it was quite efficient and straight to the point.

Lots of vending machines in Japan, I love them.

Also talking about machines, I also learned the system with self checkout at my local superstore. Now it's so much faster for me to check myself out using the machines. And there is almost no line. 8 Machines take the same physical space as 2 or 3 tellers. Guess what that means. Regular checkouts replaced by these machines, and the high minimum wage just helps with that.

Don't get me wrong, if I would be minimum wage worker I would love the new mandatory 15$/hr. It will increase the overall cost by 5-10%, but for minimum wage workers it's better since their increase is about 35%. But jobs will be lost.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4268 posts
69 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm all for increasing.. I'm bored in the winter here.. I want a second job. Money is money..
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
My Flickr
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1174 posts
328 upvotes
Kanada
Does this mean I can refrain from tipping, since waitresses and waiters will now earn a living wage ?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41597 posts
10237 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 10:35 pm
Lots of vending machines in Japan, I love them.

Also talking about machines, I also learned the system with self checkout at my local superstore. Now it's so much faster for me to check myself out using the machines. And there is almost no line. 8 Machines take the same physical space as 2 or 3 tellers. Guess what that means. Regular checkouts replaced by these machines, and the high minimum wage just helps with that.

Don't get me wrong, if I would be minimum wage worker I would love the new mandatory 15$/hr. It will increase the overall cost by 5-10%, but for minimum wage workers it's better since their increase is about 35%. But jobs will be lost.
Easier to shop lift with these machines too that is why one person has to check 4-8 of these self-checkouts. Shop lifters feel self checkouts easier too on their consciences.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1888 posts
216 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 6:47 pm
Prices didn't go up when minimum wage was raised to $8 in 2007.
Prices didn't go up when minimum wage was raised to $10.25 in 2010.
Prices didn't go up when minimum wage was raised to $11 in 2014.

Data from other places, e.g, Seattle, which have increased minimum wage in the past indicates that prices don't go up.

When prices do go up, historically it's been due to the cost of goods increasing, not the cost of labour.
And you contradict yourself in your other post by noting some restaurants did increase prices. Multiple academic institutions actually estimate a 4-5% price increase for restaurants directly because of the minimum wage hikes in Seattle.

See: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... rs-say-no/

Not only that, but Seattle is a booming city with an average household income well over $80k USD and cost of living is very high. You can't compare a prosperous, rich city raising their minimum wage vs Ontario. AND they are phasing in their minimum wage hikes for small businesses over 7 YEARS. There is a huge difference between gradual increases like Ontario has been doing over the past few years and what Seattle is doing now, vs increasing minimum wage by 30% or $3.40 in 1.25 years.

But you're right that price increases is not a massive concern with a massive minimum wage hike like this. As I said before, and as history shows, the response will be a mix of decreased portion sizes (at restaurants), a bit of price increase, reduction in hours and/or reduction in service levels, increase in automation, possible small business closures, and reduction in youth employment (hurray the youth are screwed even more!). See below for a study on impact on teen employment and poverty:

https://uwaterloo.ca/canadian-index-wel ... canada.pdf

Lastly, you mentioned nothing bad happened when the minimum wage was hiked in Ontario in 2011. It was increased by $0.75 after FOUR YEARS of NO INCREASES. Do you not see the difference there? That was a deserved hike and the government should've continued their gradual increases every year to account for increases. But then they decided to do something stupid like this to win an election.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26968 posts
6416 upvotes
GTHA
Ontario Liberals embed 2019 minimum wage hike in new law
A Progressive Conservative government would be forced to change labour laws in order to derail the $15-an-hour minimum wage increase that takes effect six months after the June 2018 election.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark ... w-law.html
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7683 posts
1383 upvotes
SnoopDop wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 11:43 am
Does this mean I can refrain from tipping, since waitresses and waiters will now earn a living wage ?
You most definitely should. But can you? Can you explain your friends how ******** is to tip in canada when servers make minimum wage and often they make 50-75k/year in busy downtown restaurants with tips (before the minimum wage hike)? And how only in the US tipping unfortunately is required for servers to make a living wage since they get paid 2-3x less than the minimum wage they have there (which is still appaling at 5-7$/hr)
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26968 posts
6416 upvotes
GTHA
Recent Survey Says Minimum Wage Hike Bad For Business
http://blackburnnews.com/sarnia/sarnia- ... -business/
Express Employment Professionals contacted over 1,000 businesses and asked respondents what action they would take if the hike took affect by 2019 as stipulated by the Wynne Liberals.

Marketing Director Garrett Hein says three per cent say they would simply close their doors.

“A third said they would increase their prices while a third say they would eliminate positions, although we think it would be higher than that in the long run,” says Hein. “One of our main concerns is attracting new businesses. If a business owner has to choose between a location with a lower minimum wage and $15/hr., well, that’s a big discrepancy. We definitely think Ontario workers deserve a raise, but we feel the best way to do that is through a competitive economy. You need low regulation, lower taxes to create an environment where businesses want to come, set up shop and hire in Ontario.”

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)