Careers

Ontario Liberals pass legislation to boost the minimum wage from $11.40 to $14 in 2018, and then $15 in 2019

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 7:15 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27592 posts
1856 upvotes
Winnipeg
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:12 am
What number? Are you talking about $15? Because it's not random. It's the amount needed for a full-time worker to be just above the poverty line with our current economy/market/cost of living.
i think it is a good move, eventually we will have basic income with robots doing bulk of the work, the future is not to have everyone work but rather have people relax and be happy
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
1808 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 1:08 am
i think it is a good move, eventually we will have basic income with robots doing bulk of the work, the future is not to have everyone work but rather have people relax and be happy
It won't ever work out like that.

The government and economy aren't ready for the robots to take over and they're not moving fast enough to prepare for it.

People will starve, people will be homeless, people will die.
This message have been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3754 posts
457 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:20 am
Where's the Ontario specific study on that? Everybody knows it was a 'wow' driven political move. No warning to anybody, no consultation, no known study.
There were community and public stakeholder consultations throughout 2016. The meetings were advertised on ontario.ca and in local newspapers. The final study isn't public because it's not a mandated report but rather an internal research document.
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 1:46 pm
This was a political move by the Liberals.
The Province's Poverty Reduction Strategy was developed and launched in 2007. The Poverty Reduction Office releases annual reports on it. So while it was developed when the Liberals were in power (under McGuinty), it's not new and not related to the upcoming election. There have been job postings to work at this office if you want to try to get a public sector job and see how government works compared to the assumptions made by people on RFD :P
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7191 posts
427 upvotes
Not only was the decision for a $15/per hour minimum wage political, but it was also made out of necessity for all the failed Liberal scams that caused the cost of living to balloon in the province over 14 years. Unaffordable Hydro, carbon taxes, and all sorts of new fees (just look at the cost of getting a plate sticker) has seriously hurt people.

Since the government can't fix these problems other than temporarily band-aid them, they've decided to just raise the minimum wage dramatically and make it someone else's problem (re: businesses and consumers). It's a pretty stupid gamble as it will hurt people, especially students more in the long run since businesses will be reconsidering their hiring positions. Remember, with $15/per hour employers will be facing higher payroll taxes, matching contributions, etc.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
27881 posts
6691 upvotes
GTHA
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 8:22 am
Ontario hints at tax breaks to ease impact of $15 minimum wage
Province could exempt the first $450,000 of small-business income from taxes, as is done in Manitoba.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/20 ... -2019.html
Ontario's Liberal government will slash small business taxes as part of $500 million in new investments aimed at easing the transition to the province's increasing minimum wage.
The corporate tax rate for small businesses will fall from 4.5 per cent to 3.5 per cent effective Jan. 1, 2018, the same day the province will increase its minimum wage from $11.60 to $14.

from http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ontario-offeri ... -1.3677865
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
27881 posts
6691 upvotes
GTHA
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 9:01 pm
Let me know what title you want and what content you need if different from what you just posted Sir.
Ontario Liberals pass legislation to boost the minimum wage from $11.40 to $14 in 2018, and then $15 in 2019
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
42168 posts
10423 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 9:09 pm
Your command is my wish. Done.
Nov 22, 2016
64 posts
10 upvotes
I don't think the liberals are doing this for the election. On the face of it it makes Sense. The question is are they helping? In Seattle unemployment went up after the minimum wage was raised as small business couldn't afford to pay them the minimum wage.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9499 posts
813 upvotes
RFD
FindDealstoronto wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 10:27 pm
I don't think the liberals are doing this for the election. On the face of it it makes Sense. The question is are they helping? In Seattle unemployment went up after the minimum wage was raised as small business couldn't afford to pay them the minimum wage.
Unfortunately I believe the same is going to happen in ON once the rate increase comes into effect, especially for workers who are already paid the current minimum wage. These people will not have steady and longer hours, the opposite is going to happen. This is definitely political and they are going ahead knowing the full effects this will have, this is their last stand measure to gain some votes.

Edit: I forgot to mention that with automation and the upcoming advances, the next 10-15 years is going to be a wild ride.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14320 posts
2606 upvotes
Toronto
I saw a sign at Pizza hut that said with the new minimum wage increase in January 2018, expect increased prices. This is going to hurt everyone. All retail prices will go up.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2328 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 9:08 pm
I saw a sign at Pizza hut that said with the new minimum wage increase in January 2018, expect increased prices. This is going to hurt everyone. All retail prices will go up.
Minimum wage worker will pretty much break-even after increases for all other costs.
Jan 29, 2017
638 posts
543 upvotes
Ontario minimum wage increase from 11.60 to 14/h is just a few days away. Good luck to business owners.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26416 posts
3094 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I feel bad for the people that started out at minimum wage and worked for years to get to $15 per hour.

These people will not be getting a raise after the new year whereas new employees will be making as much as they are.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)