Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 16, 2013
405 posts
47 upvotes
Vaughan

Ontario license plate search?

Anyway to do this? Someone hit my car in a parking lot and wanted to settle it without going through insurance. I have the video and plate #.

Mto wouldn't give me anything, said I need a vin
28 replies
Jan 19, 2007
615 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
AnthonyL140 wrote:
May 31st, 2016 3:03 pm
Anyway to do this? Someone hit my car in a parking lot and wanted to settle it without going through insurance. I have the video and plate #.
Let me guess what happened - promised to call you back and did not? :cry:
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1179 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
Why don't you just go to the collision centre and file a report with your insurance company?

If you have video evidence and the other person wanted to settle outside of insurance then I assume you're not at fault so not sure why you're trying to avoid making a claim.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8088 posts
2891 upvotes
Toronto
You didn't grab their insurance info? Drivers license info? Just a plate and video? :facepalm:
AnthonyL140 wrote:
May 31st, 2016 3:03 pm

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Dec 16, 2013
405 posts
47 upvotes
Vaughan
I captured him on video, I didn't meet the guy or speak to him. Just got the video today and wanted to give him a chance to pay for the damage without going trough insurance. But if I can't get his info, tomorrow I'm going to the collision centre
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8088 posts
2891 upvotes
Toronto
If you never met the guy, how is he suppose to pay you? Missing info here.
AnthonyL140 wrote:
May 31st, 2016 3:27 pm
I captured him on video, I didn't meet the guy or speak to him. Just got the video today and wanted to give him a chance to pay for the damage without going trough insurance. But if I can't get his info, tomorrow I'm going to the collision centre

Jan 19, 2007
615 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
and if the car was stolen or plates were stolen how this would help you? I think you need to rethink your impulses of private or public shaming...
[OP]
Dec 16, 2013
405 posts
47 upvotes
Vaughan
Lol are you guys serious? I asked a simple question, I wanted to know if anyway I can get info on a plate. That's it that's all.

No I wasn't gonna public shame him lol, just wanted to call him and say you hit my car and it's gonna cost x amount to fix. Either pay me or I'm going to go through insurance, I wanted to be nice so he doesn't get charged with a hit and run.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1902 posts
474 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
AnthonyL140 wrote:
May 31st, 2016 3:27 pm
This is a hit and run. Report this to the police and call your insurance.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1179 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
AnthonyL140 wrote:
May 31st, 2016 3:43 pm
Lol are you guys serious? I asked a simple question, I wanted to know if anyway I can get info on a plate. That's it that's all.

No I wasn't gonna public shame him lol, just wanted to call him and say you hit my car and it's gonna cost x amount to fix. Either pay me or I'm going to go through insurance, I wanted to be nice so he doesn't get charged with a hit and run.
If he did a hit and run, not sure why you'd even want to help him out and give him the opportunity to fix your car outside of insurance. This is what insurance is for. You won't be able to look up his information using his license plate.
Feb 17, 2015
583 posts
218 upvotes
Canada
OP...just ignore the idiotic comments...they are everywhere here at rfd...but i assure you will get sensible comments as well....so just ignore them...i wont be surprised if they will say something with this post of mine... :) anyways, to answer your question, i think you can get info just by the plate number...ever notice at kijiji vehicle for sale section...some car they hide the plate number...so i guess it can easily trace more info...my two cents.
AnthonyL140 wrote:

Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16687 posts
1065 upvotes
Niagara Falls
CuriousJack wrote:
May 31st, 2016 9:35 pm
OP...just ignore the idiotic comments...they are everywhere here at rfd...but i assure you will get sensible comments as well....so just ignore them...i wont be surprised if they will say something with this post of mine... :) anyways, to answer your question, i think you can get info just by the plate number...ever notice at kijiji vehicle for sale section...some car they hide the plate number...so i guess it can easily trace more info...my two cents.
The police can. I don't know of any db and common person could use. I'm sure the collision center / insurance would be willing to help though.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1610 posts
343 upvotes
TORONTO
I don't understand, the person hit you and didn't have the courtesy to leave a note or anything? Forget searching for his license plate, go report it
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1004 posts
441 upvotes
Belleville
Was the damage bad? If they gave a slight tap they may have thought there wasn't any damage. Mind you they should've gotten out to inspect.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8088 posts
2891 upvotes
Toronto
AnthonyL140 wrote:

Answer is no. Unless you know a cop who has access to CPIC.