Ontario Minimum Wage going up in 2012?

Is the Ontario minimum wage going up in 2012 or is it still on a freeze
63 replies
Dec 7, 2009
200 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Find out this fall
The Canadian Federation of Independent Business warned earlier this week that raising the minimum wage would kill jobs.

Labour Minister Charles Sousa says the government will appoint a business and labour committee this fall to advise on any changes to the minimum wage for 2012.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2010
1248 posts
37 upvotes
Let's hope they will :cheesygri
:arrow: JussB
GO LEAFS GO!

BBM pin 2B5A4B98
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1621 posts
257 upvotes
Brampton
Its an election year so there is a very good chance that it goes up.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6205 posts
733 upvotes
I doubt it. This was part of McGunity's plan. If he loses, so does this too.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2922 posts
271 upvotes
I doubt it'll go up. Unless hell freezes over and the NDP forms government. It's far too high as it is.
[OP]
May 30, 2009
502 posts
31 upvotes
Actually its very low, I think we need to get rid of those stupid CPP contributions if they wont be helping me when I'm older because it will be abolished by then. this stupid fee is costing my almost 10 a week. yes i know ppl with full time jobs pay way more but still they say the wage is 10.25 but it feel like im working on 8/hr. I dont understand why the govt is making working class and young people pay into this fee, if it won't benefit me and others in the long run.
Oct 7, 2008
498 posts
33 upvotes
ally12 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 1:45 pm
Actually its very low, I think we need to get rid of those stupid CPP contributions if they wont be helping me when I'm older because it will be abolished by then. this stupid fee is costing my almost 10 a week. yes i know ppl with full time jobs pay way more but still they say the wage is 10.25 but it feel like im working on 8/hr. I dont understand why the govt is making working class and young people pay into this fee, if it won't benefit me and others in the long run.

They need it to the baby boomers pensions and medical care heheh..otherwise they'll also be screwed...also, have lots of well payed kids so they can pay for yours.. j/k
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1062 posts
49 upvotes
YUL
Agreed, it's waay too high already. Most of my collegues (and I) are operating plants in Texas/abroad where min wage is $7.50 USD an hour/ $300 USD a month. Add to that canada's aging work force, the high degree of gov't regualtion re: worker's rights etc, the strong Canadian dollar, high corporate taxes, etc and you'll see that the Canada is already an unwelcoming enviornment for job creation.

With that said, everyone's entitled to an opinion.
FOR SALE:
Always looking to sell USD for CDN at XE.com's rates.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
4792 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
CRAZYBUBBA wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 2:18 pm
Agreed, it's waay too high already. Most of my collegues (and I) are operating plants in Texas/abroad where min wage is $7.50 USD an hour/ $300 USD a month. Add to that canada's aging work force, the high degree of gov't regualtion re: worker's rights etc, the strong Canadian dollar, high corporate taxes, etc and you'll see that the Canada is already an unwelcoming enviornment for job creation.

With that said, everyone's

Since when does Canada have high corporate taxes?
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
It's way too high right now. Jobs that pay minimum wage are obviously seeing wages go up over the past couple of years, whereas other salary workers have not seen their wage rise in comparison.

Sidenote: The summer student program at the city of Ottawa which is paid for by the province/feds, has held wages for the past 5 years so the kids in my branch are making a mere 75 cents more than other people at McDs or in retail.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Minimum wage should go up in order to catch up to all the years under a Conservative government who kept minimum wage low. After all, all the Conservatives are capable of are sucking the rich off anyway and that's detrimental to the overall economy because it transfers wealth from low and middle class earners (the majority of taxpayers) to the richest minority. We've seen how this policy in the U.S. is epic FAIL! It impairs social mobility and erodes the middle class.

To the OP: if you vote conservative, minimum wages will be frozen as long as they're in office. Do yourself a favour and vote NDP or Liberal. I'm not a fan of any political party but at least the Liberals promised to tackle this problem during their mandate and they did.
Lior Hershkovitz
Broker at Mortgage Edge, specializes in construction financing and private lending
Construction rates start p+2.5%, 2nd mortgage start 5.99%, private financing start 7% max. 95% LTV
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Terrific_Deals2k8 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 5:20 pm
Minimum wage increase = dead weight loss . Economics 101
That's Reaganomics and if you look at where the U.S. is today, in terms of debt, in terms of jobs, in terms of growth, in terms of the erosion and wealth of the middle class, which has always been the backbone of the economy, I think most Americans who truly understand how stupid this policy is wished Reagan would have never been born.
Lior Hershkovitz
Broker at Mortgage Edge, specializes in construction financing and private lending
Construction rates start p+2.5%, 2nd mortgage start 5.99%, private financing start 7% max. 95% LTV
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1241 posts
267 upvotes
The NORTH
liorsyncro wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 5:33 pm
Minimum wage should go up in order to catch up to all the years under a Conservative government who kept minimum wage low. After all, all the Conservatives are capable of are sucking the rich off anyway and that's detrimental to the overall economy because it transfers wealth from low and middle class earners (the majority of taxpayers) to the richest minority. We've seen how this policy in the U.S. is epic FAIL! It impairs social mobility and erodes the middle class.

To the OP: if you vote conservative, minimum wages will be frozen as long as they're in office. Do yourself a favour and vote NDP or Liberal. I'm not a fan of any political party but at least the Liberals promised to tackle this problem during their mandate and they did.

Riiiiiiiight..... I trust the Ontario Liberals as much as I trust a bear will leave my wallet alone if I cover it in honey. Just to clarify for you "I distrust and harbor strong negative feelings for the Liberals of Ontario, especially Asshat Mcgcguinty. How many new and fun ways has he found to rap... I mean tax me?

The average minimum wage in Canada in $9.50 and Ontario has the second highest rate behind only Nunavut ($11.00). The last thing that Ontario needs is another 4 years of moronic liberal ideas!

Kroz
× < >