Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1382 posts
189 upvotes

Ontario Moving Forward With High-Speed Rail

Wait hold your horses, wasn't it I that have been advocating for months about the feasibility of HSR for Keynesian Fiscal policy expansion as a way for mass employment consequently reducing the decrepit unemployment of this province and moving the aging infrastructure of this country in line with 21st century Asia and low and behold this . . .

So many naysayers here dismissed my arguments but it seems some bums actually read my posts. buhahaha

Now how many decades of feasibility and budget studies will it take to put a shovel to the ground . . .

http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2014/12/o ... -rail.html

December 5, 2014 11:00 A.M.Ministry of Transportation

Ontario Moving Forward With High-Speed Rail

Ontario is taking the next step to build a high-speed rail line that will connect Windsor, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Toronto, which will improve travel options, reduce travel time and create jobs by getting people moving.

The start of an environmental assessment (EA) marks the next phase of the project, which includes identifying the most appropriate route, examining state-of-the-art transportation technology options and an environmental impact evaluation.

The EA will be guided by consultations in early 2015 with municipal and business groups, as well as with First Nation and Métis communities.

High-speed rail service connecting Windsor, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Toronto is part of the government's long-term transit and infrastructure plan, Moving Ontario Forward. This plan will make nearly $29 billion available over the next 10 years for investments in priority infrastructure projects across the province, including public transit, roads, bridges and highways.

Building public transportation is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives, and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.

Quick Facts
With a planned stop at Toronto Pearson International Airport, the high-speed rail line will better connect communities across Ontario, and will help connect southwestern Ontario businesses with the global economy.
On Dec. 5, 2014, the Minister of Transportation met with the Mayor of London as well as key business leaders to discuss the latest plans. Discussions also took place with business partners in London’s technology industry, such as Big Blue Bubble, Big Viking Games, Inner Geek Inc., TD Canada Trust, Voices.com, and members of the Small Business Centre, the London Chamber of Commerce and the London Economic Development Corporation.
Since October 2003, Ontario has committed approximately $295 million for transit, highway infrastructure, municipal roads and bridges and other municipal capital projects in the City of London.
86 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5060 posts
679 upvotes
I truthfully dunno why they're doing this.

I'm all about better transportation -- but no reason to better connect the people who chose to live in the middle of no where with those in the city.

This forum is always about making comparisons to Europe -- but no one here is willing to pay European high speed train prices in Ontario.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23220 posts
1046 upvotes
Markham, ON
oh lord...for pete sakes...dump the money into transit in Toronto...oh wait....

Liberals have a majority...they dont have to listen to anyone.

sorry i forgot.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
66 upvotes
ssainani wrote:
Dec 5th, 2014 3:37 pm
I truthfully dunno why they're doing this.

I'm all about better transportation -- but no reason to better connect the people who chose to live in the middle of no where with those in the city.

This forum is always about making comparisons to Europe -- but no one here is willing to pay European high speed train prices in Ontario.
Kitchener/Waterloo isn't middle of nowhere. Not everyone works for bay street in DT T.O.

Besides, its time we get more people living outside of overcrowded Toronto anyways. Might as well hand over the rest of the country to someone else if no one wants to live there.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
7756 posts
676 upvotes
jetfirex2 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2014 4:08 pm
Kitchener/Waterloo isn't middle of nowhere. Not everyone works for bay street in DT T.O.

Besides, its time we get more people living outside of overcrowded Toronto anyways. Might as well hand over the rest of the country to someone else if no one wants to live there.
GTA is the area to live to work in Toronto. KW is considered country when compared to the GTA.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1382 posts
189 upvotes
Don't know why there is no Ottawa, Montreal, connection. A big WTF moment.

Furthermore how open would this tender be, is Siemens, Alston, CHR going to bid, how much would Bombardier charge? What is the $$ charge per mile etc. Many questions . .
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5060 posts
679 upvotes
jetfirex2 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2014 4:08 pm
Kitchener/Waterloo isn't middle of nowhere.
yes it is.
if you don't think so - it's likely because you live there.

I can sorta see why no Montreal as it's almost more feasible to fly there -- it's not like this high-speed train will be dirt cheap.

But at least it's an actual real city with people going back and forth multiple times a week for work.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
66 upvotes
spike1128 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2014 4:12 pm
GTA is the area to live to work in Toronto. KW is considered country when compared to the GTA.
What about commuting to KW from GTA?

A friend's spouse is studying in UofT and they didn't move to KW because of that. He works in a tech company there and would not give up the job as he says all offers in GTA were crap compared to what he does there. And there is not just one tech company in KW. Not to mention Toyota is also in the area.

I doubt Toronto transit will improve unless the TTC can be made more efficient and less unionized.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
4930 posts
477 upvotes
Just the fact that the FN and Metis are being consulted means this will not go anywhere unless we give them boatloads of money.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
66 upvotes
ssainani wrote:
Dec 5th, 2014 4:19 pm
yes it is.
if you don't think so - it's likely because you live there.
I live in Scarborough...but might move to Durham, KW or even out of province if I get a break in terms of employment :p. I don't find living in Toronto to be much worth it unless I had a great career here. I just never had a chance to move out of the ghetto yet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1382 posts
189 upvotes
[quote="jetfirex2" post_id="20788435" time="1417813696" user_id="80058"]Kitchener/Waterloo isn't middle of nowhere. Not everyone works for bay street in DT T.O.

Besides, its time we get more people living outside of overcrowded Toronto anyways. Might as well hand over the rest of the country to someone else if no one wants to live there.[/orbaut

Bingo, HSR facilitates mobility of the populace to greater extent than plane or auto for spreading out the population rather than concentrating new immigrants to just 2 cities. How many new immigrants can afford a new car or a flight? Infrastructure issues abound in Vancouver and T.O. the rest of this country lives in isolated pockets.

HSR produces regional and national integration more than other forms of transportation.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
Just DO IT already. I'm so tired of hearing about things. Inaction is the new progress it seems like.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)