Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7804 posts
729 upvotes
astrotrain wrote:
Dec 6th, 2014 11:05 am
I read somewhere they are targeting $40 per trip from Windsor to T.O. I use to live in Windsor as a kid and came to travel to Toronto on Greyhound, think the fare was $80ish back in the 90s, if this ticket price is right the trip will be 2/3 less hours depending on speed 250-300 km/hr. It will be substantially lower than Airlines, less pollution, less time screening/baggage nonsense, etc. Economies of scale can only happen if this was part of a much larger network in the future but Bombardier already produces trainsets, the Zefiro line but don't know about signaling systems and track.
Target prices are nice, but like I said, unless there's a substantial amount of folk who would do the trip from Windsor to Toronto, you can bet your butt it's not going to be that cheap. Europe and Asia have multiple times the population of Canada and have it less spread out too. Combine that with the fact that many people don't own cars there (either by choice or not) and you have a far more receptive audience to a rail system.

North America just didn't develop well for that. Even destinations which are common (ex: Toronto-Montreal, Ottawa-Montreal) are either better serviced by air or simply driving there yourself.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1370 posts
187 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote:
Dec 6th, 2014 11:21 am
Target prices are nice, but like I said, unless there's a substantial amount of folk who would do the trip from Windsor to Toronto, you can bet your butt it's not going to be that cheap. Europe and Asia have multiple times the population of Canada and have it less spread out too. Combine that with the fact that many people don't own cars there (either by choice or not) and you have a far more receptive audience to a rail system.

North America just didn't develop well for that. Even destinations which are common (ex: Toronto-Montreal, Ottawa-Montreal) are either better serviced by air or simply driving there yourself.
At face value this line doesn’t make sense becus we know those small towns don’t have the population “now” to support the line. But I am thinking the reason why they chose this line is to alleviate the jobless issues in those Southern towns and to spread out the heavily concentrated populace of Toronto to South western Ontario.

If you look back at historical economics rail was the main catalyst that moved the people from the -heavily populated- East coast to the Western frontiers of this country and those south of the border. In this situation it would be opposite moving far too many people in concentrated Toronto to the smaller towns to spread out the population relieving infrastructure burdens in the GTA and possibly increasing economic activity further South. I guess they don’t like seeing million dollar homes in the GTA anymore while the South western towns are becoming ghost towns. Moreover having HSR frees up regular rail solely for freight which maximizes the cargo export potential of those lines into the U.S.

It is the chicken before the egg scenario with this line. That is the logic I deduce from their plans.
Oct 18, 2014
286 posts
15 upvotes
Those who want to throw more money into the TTC are those who believe Toronto is the centre of the universe.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
arisk wrote:
Dec 6th, 2014 10:25 am
You aren't helping defend the "centre of the universe" reputation of Toronto.
The 401 corridor is hardly "middle of nowhere".
It is for all the rfders limited to a TTC pass. They'll never get to see the rest of the universe.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5039 posts
657 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2014 2:41 pm
It is for all the rfders limited to a TTC pass. They'll never get to see the rest of the universe.
yeah -- because the 'rest of the universe' to the people on thread is Waterloo.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28871 posts
945 upvotes
Fernando Po
No end to the govts desire to blow our money.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1738 posts
141 upvotes
North
astrotrain wrote:
Dec 6th, 2014 11:05 am
I read somewhere they are targeting $40 per trip from Windsor to T.O. I use to live in Windsor as a kid and came to travel to Toronto on Greyhound, think the fare was $80ish back in the 90s, if this ticket price is right the trip will be 2/3 less hours depending on speed 250-300 km/hr. It will be substantially lower than Airlines, less pollution, less time screening/baggage nonsense, etc. Economies of scale can only happen if this was part of a much larger network in the future but Bombardier already produces trainsets, the Zefiro line but don't know about signaling systems and track.

The project is a dead pipe dream, just an election gimmick. This province squabbles forever over a paltry LRT or Subway line, a mega project like this takes strategic vision and big budget to bring to completion, something the leadership of this country has not shown to any appreciable degree.

The HSR will be using dedicated tracks, what is old will be assigned just for freight which is one of the benefits of HSR.

HSR spans France that connects to Switzerland I think via Swiss Alps, we know the winters there. A Beijing to Harbin line is almost done, Harbin suffers Siberian winters, don't think the engineers have substantial issues with ice and snow for these lines.

Lol ...

China will soon surpass other countries in the combined length of its subway systems, which is expected to reach 8,500 kilometers by 2020, Minister of Transport Yang Chuantang said on Thursday in Beijing.

Nineteen cities have recently extended their metro systems, with total mileage expected to hit 3,000 km by the end of the year, the minister said.
- chinadaily.com ( Updated: 2014-12-05 07:32)

Harbin's section has been up and running for about a year now.

Also in Harbin ...

Source: Raymond Cunningham
[IMG]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5501/916 ... a628_b.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3022 posts
508 upvotes
London
This country bumpkin would happily commute daily on a HSR. I've been dreaming about this for years. It would certainly open up a lot more roles in my company for me without having to move.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23857 posts
5062 upvotes
GTHA
All aboard? Upcoming report to detail high-speed rail plan from Toronto to London and Windsor
http://london.ctvnews.ca/all-aboard-upc ... -1.3384848
CTV News has learned about a possible high-speed rail line connecting Toronto to communities in the GTA and beyond to London and Windsor.
In weeks, details of a study that recommends building a high speed line from Toronto to Windsor will be revealed.
It's called the Collenette Report, named after the author of the study, former federal Transport Minister David Collenette.
He was hired by Kathleen Wynne 18 months ago to do a detailed study on a high speed rail line from Toronto to Waterloo, then London and eventually Windsor.
This intercity connection between Toronto, the GTA and southwestern Ontario is considered key in developing the potential economy of southern Ontario.
Wynne gave her support to the project at an event Tuesday morning. She says it would be phased-in over time.
The transport minister tells CTV News that it wouldn't be high-speed the entire route because of geography.
The project would be part of the $130-billion Ontario is spending on infrasctucture over 10 years.
It's believed the federal government would provide funding as well.
Full details of the proposal is expected to come in May.
Jun 5, 2015
830 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I doubt anybody in this thread would live long enough to see it built
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4576 posts
352 upvotes
Scarborough
astrotrain wrote:
Dec 5th, 2014 4:14 pm
Don't know why there is no Ottawa, Montreal, connection. A big WTF moment.

Furthermore how open would this tender be, is Siemens, Alston, CHR going to bid, how much would Bombardier charge? What is the $$ charge per mile etc. Many questions . .
agree. They should've connected the major cities of the country with high-speed rail first..........but as always, no vision, just dumb politics and pandering to 1 or 2 areas.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1118 posts
261 upvotes
Will it be high speed rail or just another high speed rail study?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
3904 posts
1022 upvotes
Kingston, ON
apnayloags wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 7:08 pm
agree. They should've connected the major cities of the country with high-speed rail first..........but as always, no vision, just dumb politics and pandering to 1 or 2 areas.
From a federal perspective, that would be an intriguing infrastructure project. For an Ontario provincial-initiated project, you're only ever going to see intraprovincial regional rail, particularly in the most densely populated area, tying into desires to attract foreign investment. That's the niche that improving rail connection between GTA and K-W, London, fits into.

Similarly, Quebec's big infrastructure initiative is light rail in Montreal and around the shore. These are the kinds of projects that receive good feedback from residents and provide economic benefits. Replacing a Toronto-Montreal flight with a Toronto-Montreal high speed rail is an expensive undertaking without near the benefits. Leave that to Via.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)