27209 upvotes

Ontario PC’s cutting tuition at universities and college by 10%

72 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3699 posts
422 upvotes
Toronto
Expect international student fees to go up to compensate.
Dec 20, 2018
312 posts
227 upvotes
I anticipate ancillary fees to go up to compensate

As it's a 10% funding cut to universities in tuition with no other funding to make up shortfall

It's the build a Subway for free voodoo magic lol
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3699 posts
422 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:03 am
As it's a 10% funding cut to universities in tuition with no other funding to make up shortfall
It applies to domestic students only. International students are already a "cash cow" for the post-secondary sector, and are an easy target. Expect to see their tuition jump up quickly.
Dec 20, 2018
312 posts
227 upvotes
JHW wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 1:44 pm
It applies to domestic students only. International students are already a "cash cow" for the post-secondary sector, and are an easy target. Expect to see their tuition jump up quickly.
Foreign students are a fraction of studentbody, unless theyre paying millions a year next year, shortfall from any realistic hike in foreign tuition wont come close to makeup shortfall

In the whole province, they makeup less than 10% of University students, in the highest proportion like Waterloo/UT, they're only 20%

So no, intl students won't makeup the shortfall
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3699 posts
422 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 4:36 pm
Foreign students are a fraction of studentbody, unless theyre paying millions a year next year, shortfall from any realistic hike in foreign tuition wont come close to makeup shortfall
They already pay so much more than domestic students that, despite their small numbers, the tuition revenues are not as lopsided as they seem. A 10% cut in tuition revenues from domestic students could be offset with a 15-20% boost in tuition revenues from international students. This could come from increased enrollment or increased tuition.
Dec 20, 2018
312 posts
227 upvotes
JHW wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 5:39 pm
They already pay so much more than domestic students that, despite their small numbers, the tuition revenues are not as lopsided as they seem. A 10% cut in tuition revenues from domestic students could be offset with a 15-20% boost in tuition revenues from international students. This could come from increased enrollment or increased tuition.
Foreign students makeup less than 10% of post secondary students in province. How do you think increasing tuition of themcan makeup for the shortfall? You need the 10% to makeup the shortfall from the 90% who aren't foreign students

So maybe a 20x increase in their tuition or increase their overall numbers by few hundred percent so they're closer to half the students?
Jun 26, 2007
622 posts
359 upvotes
You're right, foreign students only pay an average of just over 4x as much as Canadian students. Say, for the purposes of this discussion that it's exactly 10% of students that are non-Canadian. it's still under 1/3 the total revenue, you'd have to raise foreign tuition over 20%, which would likely put Ontario at a competitive disadvantage vs the USA and other Canadian provinces.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3699 posts
422 upvotes
Toronto
Flunk wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:13 am
You're right, foreign students only pay an average of just over 4x as much as Canadian students.
It varies from school to school, but I expect some combination of increased international tuition and increased international enrollment to be one of the major mitigation strategies for the domestic tuition cut.
Dec 27, 2008
345 posts
71 upvotes
i thought tuition was free now? or like osap is free to some...anyone know?
Dec 21, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Don't get too excited yet, the Ford/PC government will most likely re-work the OSAP/Free tuition program, I expect them to reduce or even cut the free tuition program funding.

Look for such announcements and notices in the up coming weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8705 posts
359 upvotes
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-anno ... -H85jJ_Y9o
Ontario announces tuition cut, eliminates free tuition for low-income students
At the cost of cutting free tuition for the less fortunate people.

More cuts coming for sure. Maybe grants and they will touch OSAP.

Most likely will pay more after its all done.
No political content in sigs please.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29506 posts
2263 upvotes
Winnipeg
x1xslickx1x wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:45 am
i thought tuition was free now? or like osap is free to some...anyone know?
the last i heard was free tuition up to a cap, i dunno whatever happened to it. these politicians, you can never trust them.