Entertainment

Ontario Place Cinesphere reopened. Many new/classic movies showing

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2018 10:35 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1373 posts
328 upvotes
Been checking the Cinesphere website regularly to find out when they are going to show a new movie or two. Since opening weekend, they've been playing "Dunkirk" and "Beauty and the Beast". I've seen both movies multiple times, so I'm ready for some new titles.

I already know they won't be showing brand new releases during their first-run. Anyway, I really want to see "Blade Runner 2049" at the Cinesphere before it hits the blu-ray!

I'd also love to see "Interstellar" there as well, even though it's already scheduled to show again at the TIFF Bell Lightbox on December 29. In fact, they should just bring back the original 70mm film festival to the Cinesphere instead of showing these movies at the TIFF Bell Lightbox during the holidays.

http://www.tiff.net/#series=magnificent-70mm
Last edited by Mr_Fanta on Nov 23rd, 2017 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2264 posts
704 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 11:28 am
Been checking the Cinesphere website regularly to find out when they are going to show a new movie or two. Since opening weekend, they've been playing "Dunkirk" and "Beauty and the Beast". I've seen both movies multiple times, so I'm ready for some new titles.

I already know they won't be showing brand new releases during their first-run. Anyway, I really want to see "Blade Runner 2049" at the Cinesphere before it hits the blu-ray!
Would be the kiss of death if they showed Blade Runner on there. The seats simply wont be filled. This movie did poorly overall.
Jun 5, 2017
375 posts
39 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
badOne wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 11:35 am
Would be the kiss of death if they showed Blade Runner on there. The seats simply wont be filled. This movie did poorly overall.
thats because the general audience is stupid and prefers cheesier, simplistic, dumbed down movies which is sad. i think it would be nice if they did a classics day, where they play older movies. there are a number of older movies id love to see on their imax screen.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2264 posts
704 upvotes
brandonly wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 8:01 pm
thats because the general audience is stupid and prefers cheesier, simplistic, dumbed down movies which is sad. i think it would be nice if they did a classics day, where they play older movies. there are a number of older movies id love to see on their imax screen.
They already went this route of showing older movies before they shut down the theatre. For the price of the imax projector and renovations they will have make this back in a hurry. Playing classics likely wont do it. You simply cannot charge as much for Die Hard 2 as a recent film. Hopefully this pans out for the province or they may never try this again.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1373 posts
328 upvotes
Update, it looks like the Cinesphere will continue to play "Dunkirk" indefinitely until further notice. As of the first weekend of December the "family friendly" film will change to a movie for the holidays "Polar Express" replacing "Beauty and the Beast".

https://www.eventbrite.ca/o/cinesphere- ... 5487124276
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1373 posts
328 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 11:35 am
Too funny, I just got my wish to see "Blade Runner 2049" there.

Cinesphere just updated their website and added "Blade Runner 2049" this weekend. Woohoo!!! LOL

http://ontarioplace.com/en/cinesphere/
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2264 posts
704 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 10:43 pm
Too funny, I just got my wish to see "Blade Runner 2049" there.

Cinesphere just updated their website and added "Blade Runner 2049" this weekend. Woohoo!!! LOL

When you do get there, please tell us if the place is filled or not.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1373 posts
328 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 5:57 pm
I really don't care, just really happy "Blade Runner 2049" a proper and "specially formatted" IMAX film is playing there. The entire movie has an aspect ratio of 1.90: 1 in IMAX.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1373 posts
328 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 5:57 pm
We chose New Year's Day 7pm screening and the Cinesphere was less than half full for a second-run movie. Plus, lots of people returned to work today (January 2), so it may have affected its attendance along with the very cold weather.

My review is on Post #131 in the thread below.

blade-runner-2049-sequel-starting-page-2-294898/9/

No joke better than Scotiabank's laser IMAX theatre in every way. Can't wait to see more feature films at this venue, even if they are second-run movies. "The Last Jedi" can't come soon enough for me at the Cinesphere. I saw the original Star Wars trilogy triple bill there once upon a time. LOL
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2264 posts
704 upvotes
Wish the place would ante up and show the civil war sequel coming for May. They would really clean up if they did.
Jun 5, 2017
375 posts
39 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
badOne wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 7:48 pm
Wish the place would ante up and show the civil war sequel coming for May. They would really clean up if they did.
well that would be awesome on a whole other level. i gotta go to the cinesphere and check out a movie, usually i go to the cineplex across from sq1.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1373 posts
328 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 7:48 pm
They will definitely show "Avengers: Infinity War" because the entire movie was filmed using IMAX cameras. However, my guess they won't show it "first-run" in May 2018, but perhaps 2 to 3 months later at the Cinesphere.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1373 posts
328 upvotes
Cinesphere has updated their website and has added a triple bill of IMAX documentary films playing until January 28. The titles are: North of Superior, Jerusalem and Rocky Mountain Express.

Was hoping for some new Hollywood feature film titles, but I'm alright with seeing some older IMAX films which Cinesphere made famous playing them.
Jun 5, 2017
375 posts
39 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
i remember the ontario place imax back in the day played fires of kuwait and titanic. those 2 were great.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5146 posts
1063 upvotes
Mississauga
brandonly wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 8:27 pm
well that would be awesome on a whole other level. i gotta go to the cinesphere and check out a movie, usually i go to the cineplex across from sq1.
That theatre has gotten so run down. Upholstery and seating don't seem to ever get refreshed, nevermind cleaned.

The IMAX theatre has broken seats and stuff too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)