• Apr 9th, 2012 3:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 19, 2010
28 posts
1 upvote

Ontario Public Service summer student interview

I have an interview with these guys tomorrow. Has anyone had an interview with them before? What should i expect? I was told there was going to be a 25 minute test, followed by a 20 minute panel interview. This is one of those position that was advertised on the OPS website for a week back in February.
11 replies
Jan 4, 2009
674 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga
Just curious. What position did you apply for ? and how much experience do you have related to this position ?
what about references ? did they ask you to bring a reference list ?

I've applied for a couple of these positions about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard from them back.
[OP]
Jun 19, 2010
28 posts
1 upvote
I have no relevant work experience for the position that I have an interview for. The only job I've had was at a tourist/summer destination as a general helper/cashier/attendant for the last few summers. However, my major is closely related to the position. As for references...they didn't ask me to bring any to the interview but i'll be bringing the only reference i have, which would be my previous manager.

Give it time. I applied back in late February and got a call for an interview last week.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1863 posts
307 upvotes
Burlington
DNM wrote:
Apr 11th, 2011 4:26 pm
I have an interview with these guys tomorrow. Has anyone had an interview with them before? What should i expect? I was told there was going to be a 25 minute test, followed by a 20 minute panel interview. This is one of those position that was advertised on the OPS website for a week back in February.
I got invited to a few recently that were advertised back in February as well, I only attended one and I was successful so I cancelled most of the others. The test you need to ask them what it is all about but the interview was the usual behavioural and interview type questions (tell me about yourself, how well do you work in a team and so on) so do a Google search for some ideas.

Mine was pretty laid back, it didn't ask for references but one of the ones I had to cancel did ask. So if they don't ask you to bring I wouldn't bother. Good luck
[OP]
Jun 19, 2010
28 posts
1 upvote
badmus wrote:
Apr 11th, 2011 6:24 pm
I got invited to a few recently that were advertised back in February as well, I only attended one and I was successful so I cancelled most of the others. The test you need to ask them what it is all about but the interview was the usual behavioural and interview type questions (tell me about yourself, how well do you work in a team and so on) so do a Google search for some ideas.

Mine was pretty laid back, it didn't ask for references but one of the ones I had to cancel did ask. So if they don't ask you to bring I wouldn't bother. Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I think i'll bring the references just in case they do end up asking for them. Better safe than sorry. I was told the test would be "what if" type questions. So i'm not really too sure what to expect there because i figure the what if type questions would be asked during the interview. First time interviewing for an office job...haha kind of nervous.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1863 posts
307 upvotes
Burlington
DNM wrote:
Apr 11th, 2011 7:35 pm
Thanks for the reply. I think i'll bring the references just in case they do end up asking for them. Better safe than sorry. I was told the test would be "what if" type questions. So i'm not really too sure what to expect there because i figure the what if type questions would be asked during the interview. First time interviewing for an office job...haha kind of nervous.
Here are some old threads related to this issue, search.php?searchid=42181
[OP]
Jun 19, 2010
28 posts
1 upvote
Your link is broken. Do you mind reposting it or PMing me.
Jan 4, 2009
674 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga
I got a call yesterday from the office for interview in about 2 weeks.

I was wondering, what type of questions are going to be asked ? are they all behavior ?

thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1481 posts
201 upvotes
I know when I did the hiring for co-ops for the OPS, the questions were dependent on the specific division you're applying to.

And even the same division could use different questions depending on the hiring manager.
Feb 28, 2012
2 posts
MARKHAM
I have two interviews coming up both with the Ministry of Economic Development and Innovation. One is for an Emergency Management Assistant position and another for a Business and Finance Assistant position. I was advised that the following would be the format of the interview:
The interview will be broken into the following three components and will follow this order:
15 minutes – written assignment
10 minutes – review interview questions
45 minutes – interview
Please report to the Interview 15 minutes prior to the time indicated so that you can review the questions. You will be allowed to make
notes based on the questions and to refer to these during the interview. At the end of the interview you will be asked to return
the sheet with the questions. As part of the interview, you will be requested to complete a written assessment in the form of a Briefing Note, Information Note, Presentation or Situation Report.

Has anyone completed an interview such as this one before, preferably for positions within business, commerce, and economics? If so, I would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips or even let me know the type of questions you were asked.

Thanks!
Sep 2, 2010
2 posts
toronto
Questions90 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 10:49 pm
I have two interviews coming up both with the Ministry of Economic Development and Innovation. One is for an Emergency Management Assistant position and another for a Business and Finance Assistant position. I was advised that the following would be the format of the interview:
The interview will be broken into the following three components and will follow this order:
15 minutes – written assignment
10 minutes – review interview questions
45 minutes – interview
Please report to the Interview 15 minutes prior to the time indicated so that you can review the questions. You will be allowed to make
notes based on the questions and to refer to these during the interview. At the end of the interview you will be asked to return
the sheet with the questions. As part of the interview, you will be requested to complete a written assessment in the form of a Briefing Note, Information Note, Presentation or Situation Report.

Has anyone completed an interview such as this one before, preferably for positions within business, commerce, and economics? If so, I would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips or even let me know the type of questions you were asked.

Thanks!

Hi, so how did your interview go? What was the written portion like? and what type of interview questions did they ask you? and did you end up getting the job? If you dont mind telling me, I have an interview for similar position soon. Please let me know! Thanks!