• Mar 13th, 2016 8:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
7 posts
1 upvote

Ontario Rental Agreement Form

Does anyone have a good Ontario Rental Agreement Form (word or PDF) that I can modify and use? I can find good examples of just about everything else required on the net, but an actual rental/less agreement that includes clauses referencing the 2006 tenancy act. I would prefer not to have to purchase a "Landlord" package for this one form.

Any help?
32 replies
May 24, 2007
509 posts
5 upvotes
kanucked wrote:
Sep 1st, 2009 12:34 pm
Does anyone have a good Ontario Rental Agreement Form (word or PDF) that I can modify and use? I can find good examples of just about everything else required on the net, but an actual rental/less agreement that includes clauses referencing the 2006 tenancy act. I would prefer not to have to purchase a "Landlord" package for this one form.
You can use Agreement to Lease (Form 400) from OREA. Link
Dec 9, 2009
1 posts
Toronto
Hey,

I found a really good fillable form here: it was by rental firm but you can fill things out. its pretty good.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2422 posts
772 upvotes
Get one free from one a former Landlord Tenant Board ajudicator and current president of one of Toronto's top landlord legal firms at:

www.ontariolandlord.ca
Feb 26, 2009
225 posts
17 upvotes
I believe the most recent changes to the LTA were in 2007.

No matter.

The OREA forms (400) are the ones that us Realtors use. I'd use the first example above as the second one has Brokerage information filled in on it.

Bear in mind that any clause you (Tenant or Landlord) put into any lease that is a violation of the LTA is automatically void. Doesn't matter if it's in writing - it's null and void. This means that you both should have a passing familiarity with the Law.

The Landlord Tenant Board website is a great place to look for information.
Feb 12, 2012
1 posts
WHITBY
Hi,

sorry for resurrecting this thread

Question: Is anyone allowed to use these OREA forms? Like the standard rental lease form.

Or do you have to be a member or OREA?
Mar 27, 2009
104 posts
12 upvotes
Markham
I have the same question. Anyone?
locke16 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2012 11:29 am
Hi,

sorry for resurrecting this thread

Question: Is anyone allowed to use these OREA forms? Like the standard rental lease form.

Or do you have to be a member or OREA?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2422 posts
772 upvotes
Anyone can use it. The problem is it's a "McLease". Totally generic and is filled with flaws that won't help you if you get into any landlord/tenant trouble.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
3442 posts
826 upvotes
Thornhill
The OREA form is drafted for use by REALTORS representing renters and who would attach schedules or insert clauses into the allowable fields to properly identify what is to be included in a lease. I would not recommend you use this form unless you know what should and should not be inserted in same. This link is to an 8 year old form, try to find the 2012 update. Nothing stops you from creating your own from same while leaving out any brokerage references.

The form will only create problems for those who don't know what they're doing. Other than that you might also want to find the rental application form and use that in conjunction with this.

Strida wrote:
Jul 30th, 2012 12:12 am
I have the same question. Anyone?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2422 posts
772 upvotes
Most real estate agents are clueless when it comes to rental properties and the law. I've seen many cases where owners have relied on real estate agents and got in really bad situations...and the real estate agent fled when asked to be held accountable.

The OREA lease is pathetic.

Think about it. You are dealing with tenants who will have power over your $300,000 or $400,000 or $500,000 or more property and you use a generic lease created by non-landlords??!!

Especially in Ontario, once you hand over the key to new tenants you lease is your only protection.

Learn the ropes (or learn from others who know the ropes) and landlords PROTECT YOURSELF. Get a lease that covers all the bases and prepares you for any potential situations that will jeopardize your huge investment in a rental property.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
3442 posts
826 upvotes
Thornhill
I understand that you want to promote your services/membership in a landlord community but the OREA form is not a lease unless one provides a clause that states everything within the Agreement shall constitute "The Lease Agreement." In fact any one who understands contracts understands that simple statement.

A reading of the current form, (even its older version) specifically points to Schedules that would incorporate lease terms that any landlord and tenant in their rightful mind would state outright while another section points to a lease to come that is in agreement with the terms set out within this form. Anyone with any ability to read and understand a contract wouldn't have difficulty understanding this.

So What's the problem exactly?

I can't say it often enough - if one doesn't perform proper due diligence in choosing their REALTOR then they may not get the representation they require.

It is no different to choosing the numerous landlords out there who have not a clue as to what should and should not be in a lease. RFD is not void of complaints from either side. It's all about the landlord and tenant conducting due diligence and forming a contract that inures to the benefit of both.

Do you not agree beeg?

Beeg wrote:
Jul 30th, 2012 10:15 pm
The OREA lease is pathetic.

Think about it. You are dealing with tenants who will have power over your $300,000 or $400,000 or $500,000 or more property and you use a generic lease created by non-landlords??!!

Especially in Ontario, once you hand over the key to new tenants you lease is your only protection.

Learn the ropes (or learn from others who know the ropes) and landlords PROTECT YOURSELF. Get a lease that covers all the bases and prepares you for any potential situations that will jeopardize your huge investment in a rental property.
Jul 9, 2006
74 posts
7 upvotes
Beeg wrote:
Jul 31st, 2012 12:28 am
What clauses would you add?
Actually there's basically a dictionary of good clauses to add in OREA's Guidelines for Residential and Commercial Clauses

Look through the table of contents, find the clauses you want to add and you could probably create your own Schedule to attach to the OREA lease. Some stuff I would probably look into:
  1. Appliances to be supplied and maintained
  2. Ability to adjust rent during the term (if multi-year)
  3. Ability to enter premises with notice
  4. Deposits for keys/garage door opener/etc
  5. Ability to assign lease or sublet
  6. Take precautions against freezing of water/waste pipes e.g. during leave of absence
  7. NSF charges for bounced cheques
  8. Ability to Tenant to alter decor e.g. put up posters, paintings
  9. Pets
  10. Changing of lightbulbs
  11. Occupancy only by the people on the lease (and not anyone else without permission)
Here's also the Ontario Residential Tenancy Agreement: http://www.thecanadianlandlordalliance. ... eement.pdf
Jan 27, 2003
476 posts
stephersiu wrote:
Feb 27th, 2013 12:17 am
Actually there's basically a dictionary of good clauses to add in OREA's Guidelines for Residential and Commercial Clauses

Look through the table of contents, find the clauses you want to add and you could probably create your own Schedule to attach to the OREA lease. Some stuff I would probably look into:
  1. Appliances to be supplied and maintained
  2. Ability to adjust rent during the term (if multi-year)
  3. Ability to enter premises with notice
  4. Deposits for keys/garage door opener/etc
  5. Ability to assign lease or sublet
  6. Take precautions against freezing of water/waste pipes e.g. during leave of absence
  7. NSF charges for bounced cheques
  8. Ability to Tenant to alter decor e.g. put up posters, paintings
  9. Pets
  10. Changing of lightbulbs
  11. Occupancy only by the people on the lease (and not anyone else without permission)
Here's also the Ontario Residential Tenancy Agreement: http://www.thecanadianlandlordalliance. ... eement.pdf
Thanks! Extremely useful... I had OREA 400, with a Schedule as an addendum which pretty much repeated everything in the Ontario Residential Tenancy Agreement: http://www.thecanadianlandlordalliance. ... eement.pdf, which this prospective tenant outright refused, believing it's overkill (yes, from her perspective, but not from mine), but nice to see this agreement as it wraps everything together nicely and is boilerplate. If this prospective tenant again refuses or begins striking out clauses, it's really time to give up and focus on other prospective tenants :)

Again, thanks!
Sep 23, 2006
20 posts
Toronto
Hey Everyone, I was wondering what you guys might have used for a credit check. I have recently bought a place and plan on renting it out. I will be using the Orea 400 form, but also want to check credit and references.

Thanks
2006 Winnings:

Xbox 360 Pepsi: Nov 17th 3AM
× < >