• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 8:48 pm
[OP]
Dec 8, 2015
4 posts
Toronto, ON

ontario retail business

Any business owners here notice a huge decline in retail traffic in 2018 and the start of this year? I am in the home improvement industry and my business have been on a decline ever since the new mortgage rules came out. But apparently its the whole retail sector that is being affected right now and no one knows why, do you?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3597 posts
1232 upvotes
Mississauga
If there’s been a drop off in home improvement business, why is it still hard to find contractors who’ll actually show up to estimate a job?
Apr 29, 2017
273 posts
89 upvotes
A lot of contractors use the larger stores. If he has a small home improvement place he might not be a big lumber or drywall, concrete etc supplier. We have a few small home improvement stores that are mainly used by homeowners, myself as a contractor use them for small items if its convenient although they cost a bit more. If there is economic issues (not sure if there is), some people who were loyal to the small shops might go to the Home Depot and Ronas for lower prices.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1854 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto, ON
~10 years since last global economic recession. No one learned anything and the situation has only gotten worse. Massive correction in all sectors since 4th quarter of 2018. It's only a matter of time.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39702 posts
3766 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
mrweather wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:29 pm
If there’s been a drop off in home improvement business, why is it still hard to find contractors who’ll actually show up to estimate a job?
Good contractors are busy. Too busy doing work for known or reffered clients. They rather not give quotes and do a song and dance about who can give the lowest prices.
I find the good ones get reffered a lot of business and they tAke the easy to deal with ones.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3597 posts
1232 upvotes
Mississauga
Agreed that the good contractors are always busy. But the song and dance works both ways. A co-worker of mine got quotes for a new roof, agreed to go with the middle quote and when it was showtime the contractor never showed up and never responded to repeated calls/texts.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39702 posts
3766 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
mrweather wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 8:18 am
Agreed that the good contractors are always busy. But the song and dance works both ways. A co-worker of mine got quotes for a new roof, agreed to go with the middle quote and when it was showtime the contractor never showed up and never responded to repeated calls/texts.
Lol yah.. thats true due. Gotta get refferAl from guys . Bc if they “like you” they will come out.

“Yoooo your my cousins friend? My roof caved in... please help. Right away!!!”

“Oh youre his buddy? Alright fine.”

Or maybe “crap. I want this done asap. You know what i’ll throw in a few hundred extra if you can come TODAY!”
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1271 posts
162 upvotes
Markham, ON
They closed HMV. I got some really nice books from there before the store went down. I am now wondering if it's going to become a music library. Anyone has any update on HMV.

I don't shop much but I tend to go to the same stores. I guess the problem is that when I AM ready to shop, all the shop I want to goto is out of business because I haven't had time to shop and neglected them.
Banned
Jan 13, 2019
17 posts
5 upvotes
nabiul wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:50 am
~10 years since last global economic recession. No one learned anything and the situation has only gotten worse. Massive correction in all sectors since 4th quarter of 2018. It's only a matter of time.
I thought so too. But look at the market. They will keep the "everything bubble" going till one day it goes pop. Some experts weighed in 4th Quarter 2018 and said 2019 first quarter it might be the time to pop. But I don't see any imminent doom. Stocks are back from correction territory. Something big is going on behind the financial scenes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)