None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1116 posts
205 upvotes

Ontario Survey: tow truck vultures & storage

Update:
There are many horror story threads regarding tow truck vultures and sketchy body shops.
It would be great if RFD Auto community can fill out this survey from the Province so our voices are heard.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/tow-trucks- ... 1439828999

the 23-year veteran of the force was paid in cash by a tow-truck driver to provide nine bogus accident reports which passed off staged car crashes as legitimate ones in 2010.
In most cases, Watson prepared the accident reports without attending the scene and didn’t speak to any of the drivers or passengers claiming to be involved in the crashes.

The government says towing costs are partly to blame for high auto insurance rates.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2015/ ... -case.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/o ... -1.3231698
26 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17416 posts
1613 upvotes
Woodbridge
It shouldn't surprise anyone.

So you really believe Politicians, Police Officers are in it because they care for our well being?

LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto
Just filled out the province's survey, linked in the 2nd article. Please fill it out with your concerns so that finally Ontario can be saved from the tow truck vultures.
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20974 posts
10360 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Dash cams should become mandatory to protect drivers and pedestrians alike. No more Ragu rollback to win $500's.

Capitol punishment should be reinstated for bastards that do that crap.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1555 posts
256 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2015 6:33 pm
Dash cams should become mandatory to protect drivers and pedestrians alike. No more Ragu rollback to win $500's.

Capital punishment should be reinstated for bastards that do that crap.
Capital punishment ...lol
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1100 posts
344 upvotes
SaskBerta
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2015 6:33 pm
Cop who took the report for my first accident (I wasn't at fault) said the same thing re:dash cams.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17416 posts
1613 upvotes
Woodbridge
Nothing will change.

This is exactly why I don't vote, am I going to vote for the politician that's ramming my *** or the politician that going to.

I don't blame them who wouldn't want to make at least well over $100k+
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9142 posts
1766 upvotes
Somewhere
Dash cams should come preinstalled into cars.
:confused:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1116 posts
205 upvotes
would dashcam still help if these lowlifes are making bogus accident reports?

the problem can't simply be solved with only cameras,
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
259 upvotes
Ottawa
Gorillaa wrote:
Sep 21st, 2015 6:16 pm
So every year we get BS excuses why auto insurance in Ontario is ridiculously high: Fraud, claims etc.
So fraud and claims aren't contributing factors to higher premiums? Am curious how you think premiums are calculated.
Jul 7, 2007
860 posts
351 upvotes
CanuckGreg wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2015 9:28 am
So fraud and claims aren't contributing factors to higher premiums? Am curious how you think premiums are calculated.
True statement but insurance companies will jack up rates regardless to make profit.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
259 upvotes
Ottawa
Zero Hope wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2015 12:08 pm
True statement but insurance companies will jack up rates regardless to make profit.
The system is regulated so that insurers' profits are capped, and they have to submit an application to the Financial Services Commission of Ontario to increase rates.

From https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/broc ... toins.aspx
All auto insurance companies operating in Ontario are required to file rate change requests with FSCO. FSCO must, by law, approve each insurance company’s auto insurance rates. If an auto insurer needs to make a rate change — either upwards or downwards — it must file an application with FSCO.

FSCO has a team of analysts who work with staff actuaries to determine whether the proposed rates are reasonable and justified. The rate filing application includes a projection of what will be needed to meet future claims costs. These projections are based on the company’s financial data, such as premiums, claim costs, and administrative expenses. The financial data must be clearly stated and accurate. Special attention is given to balancing rates with the company's long-term ability to meet claims costs.

FSCO also reviews and approves each company’s criteria for setting rates, and its underwriting rules — the grounds the company uses to refuse to sell auto insurance to a consumer.
With respect to escalating premiums, some stats in this National Post article are pretty illuminating:
Among Ontario's 9.6 million motorists, there were 85,000 accident and bodily injury insurance claimants in 2014. According to the industry's official statistics agency, the average bodily injury claim came to $143,630. By comparison, the average in Alberta is $12,785. The average accident benefit payout was $31,785 in Ontario, compared with $7,895 in Nova Scotia and $3,766 in Alberta.
Also:
in 2012 the Ontario Automobile Insurance Anti-Fraud Task Force, headed by Fred Gorbet, former federal deputy finance minister, now CIT Chair in Financial Services at the Schulich School of Business, York University, reported the estimated annual cost of fraud in 2010 at somewhere between $768 million and $1.56 billion. Eliminating fraud would save each motorist $116 to $236 a year in premiums.