None
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25614 posts
5806 upvotes
GTHA
Ontario must prepare for less cash from feds
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/21/on ... -from-feds
In fact, the federal department of finance has indicated Ontario’s transfer will be significantly lower next year, falling from $2.3 billion in 2016/17 to $1.4 billion in 2017/18.

Meanwhile, Ottawa plans to reduce the growth in the Canada Health Transfer, which has been increasing by 6% annually.

These developments will almost certainly mean a slowdown in the overall rate of growth for federal transfers to Queen’s Park.

In 2017/18, for example, the federal government forecasts major transfers to Ontario will actually decline.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7369 posts
1235 upvotes
If you vote Wynne again, you Ontarians deserve the grave you are digging yourselves into. And I hope western Canada will finally say enough and split from Canada. Eastern Canada is a money pit. BC/AB/SK/MB could be such a prosperous country.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Doing it the Conservatives way..Sale of assets...
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26802 posts
1665 upvotes
Winnipeg
Messerschmitt wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 6:42 am
If you vote Wynne again, you Ontarians deserve the grave you are digging yourselves into. And I hope western Canada will finally say enough and split from Canada. Eastern Canada is a money pit. BC/AB/SK/MB could be such a prosperous country.
ontario used to be the economic engine of canada, until the manufacturers couldn't afford both the union and the hydro cost...
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6546 posts
731 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 6:42 am
I agree on Wynne, but if you think BC would ever consider Alberta as proper company, you're high. Most if not all of BC loathes everything coming out of Alberta, out west.

In the late 90s and early 00s, it was Alberta that was broke and kept depending on Ontario, so dont worry, its cyclical. Remember when Quebec was great and Montreal the #1 city in Canada? Yea. lol

Saskatchewan and Manitoba? lol
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3219 posts
128 upvotes
Adelaide
Buggy166 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:20 am
I agree on Wynne, but if you think BC would ever consider Alberta as proper company, you're high. Most if not all of BC loathes everything coming out of Alberta, out west.

In the late 90s and early 00s, it was Alberta that was broke and kept depending on Ontario, so dont worry, its cyclical. Remember when Quebec was great and Montreal the #1 city in Canada? Yea. lol

Saskatchewan and Manitoba? lol
Pretty sure Alberta was not a net receiver of equalization payments in the 80's or 90's
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4089 posts
1113 upvotes
Kingston, ON
divx wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 6:45 pm
ontario used to be the economic engine of canada, until the manufacturers couldn't afford both the union and the hydro cost...
Ontario doesn't have the GDP per capita of AB or NWT resource extraction, but Ontario is still the 'economic engine' of Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... ic_product

In 2015, Ontario GDP was > the four Western provinces & three territories put together.
Nov 24, 2013
233 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Mike15 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 3:49 pm
Ontario doesn't have the GDP per capita of AB or NWT resource extraction, but Ontario is still the 'economic engine' of Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... ic_product

In 2015, Ontario GDP was > the four Western provinces & three territories put together.
On a per capita basis, Ontario is ranked fourth.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
2453 posts
311 upvotes
Scarborough
lpin14 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 7:58 pm
On a per capita basis, Ontario is ranked fourth.
Ontario is doing great, and we're doing great without oil to prop us up.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25614 posts
5806 upvotes
GTHA
Five things to know about the 2017 Budget

680 NEWS business editor Richard Southern has some of the highlights from the provincial budget -- including free prescription medication for anyone under the age of 25.

Ontario's Finance Minister Charles Sousa CityNews to discuss what the provincial budget means for Toronto, and the how the Liberals are working to reign in a growing debt.

Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
2453 posts
311 upvotes
Scarborough
how about paying down the $350 BILLION debt?? I'm a strong liberal, and I think its absolutely ridiculous. These politicians are real dirt bags for continuing to pile on debt on top of debt. And its not just liberals, its conservatives too who shamelessly do the same damn thing. Do whatever it takes to pay off the debt! The problem is the idiotic public who hates paying taxes. We should hire a private company, make them responsible for bringing down the debt whatever means necessary (unless we're in a strong recession) and make them untouchable by the politicians/ self interested voters. A bit of tough love is whats needed in this case. Some options to raise money:

1) raise gas tax
2) enact tolls on busy highways.
3) increase property taxes proportional to house worth and the type of neighborhood, ie affluent neighborhoods have higher property taxes
4) start closing the loopholes the tax dodgers love to use
5) cut spending in bloated areas
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4717 posts
534 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:32 am
Ontario is doing great, and we're doing great without oil to prop us up.
Thanks only to a low Cdn dollar and NAFTA - without either of these we're sunk.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4616 posts
1170 upvotes
Cornhole, ON
162 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 10:46 am
Thanks only to a low Cdn dollar and NAFTA - without either of these we're sunk.
Well one thing is about to go and it ain't the low Cdn dollar...
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4631 posts
394 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 1:29 am
how about paying down the $350 BILLION debt?? I'm a strong liberal, and I think its absolutely ridiculous. These politicians are real dirt bags for continuing to pile on debt on top of debt. And its not just liberals, its conservatives too who shamelessly do the same damn thing. Do whatever it takes to pay off the debt! The problem is the idiotic public who hates paying taxes. We should hire a private company, make them responsible for bringing down the debt whatever means necessary (unless we're in a strong recession) and make them untouchable by the politicians/ self interested voters. A bit of tough love is whats needed in this case. Some options to raise money:

1) raise gas tax
2) enact tolls on busy highways.
3) increase property taxes proportional to house worth and the type of neighborhood, ie affluent neighborhoods have higher property taxes
4) start closing the loopholes the tax dodgers love to use
5) cut spending in bloated areas

Which is what area? and what would you cut bloated jobs or bloated salaries / benefits?? Bare in mind 3 biggest expenditures are Health/education and interest on debt and you can't change the latter
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.