Real Estate

Ontario Transportation Minister pledges expansion into suburbs as part of Toronto subway takeover

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2018 1:03 pm
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1202 posts
941 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Seems property values in Markham and especially Richmond Hill will soon shoot up as a result.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
1920 posts
667 upvotes
I wished the subway extended into mississauga.
But more of a pipe dream since labour prices are so high and increasing.
Two - Three billion for a single station extension is why nothing gets built anymore.
Places like Singapore are able to do it on pennies on the dollar because they ship labourers from overseas and pay them hardly enough to survive.
Not something I agree with, but that's how it was done.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
7863 posts
2980 upvotes
This should have all been built eons ago. For such a large city, our transit system is abysmal.
Dec 30, 2012
819 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
Are you new to Toronto? New transit plans are drafted every couple years and then fade away once the costs become apparent or a new administration is elected.
Nov 10, 2017
504 posts
277 upvotes
WinterSleep wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 8:55 pm
Seems property values in Markham and especially Richmond Hill will soon shoot up as a result.
No doubt! Both Markham and Richmond Hill property values will shoot up !
Dec 30, 2012
819 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
dantey wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 11:20 pm
I wished the subway extended into mississauga.
But more of a pipe dream since labour prices are so high and increasing.
Two - Three billion for a single station extension is why nothing gets built anymore.
Places like Singapore are able to do it on pennies on the dollar because they ship labourers from overseas and pay them hardly enough to survive.
Not something I agree with, but that's how it was done.
One of the problems is that Toronto never considers a more incrementalist approach to public transit.

Calgary has been building out its lightrail network incrementally. Every 3-5 years several stations open. That's the way to do it, imo. The costs are manageable and the public can see actual results without having to wait half a lifetime.

The Bloor-Danforth western extension to Kipling was completed in (I think) 1954. That's 64 years ago and not a SINGLE new station further west has been added since. In 64 years.

Of course some might criticize such incrementalism as lacking vision, but what good is vision if it never yields results?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
7863 posts
2980 upvotes
civiclease wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 6:34 am
One of the problems is that Toronto never considers a more incrementalist approach to public transit.

Calgary has been building out its lightrail network incrementally. Every 3-5 years several stations open. That's the way to do it, imo. The costs are manageable and the public can see actual results without having to wait half a lifetime.

The Bloor-Danforth western extension to Kipling was completed in (I think) 1954. That's 64 years ago and not a SINGLE new station further west has been added since. In 64 years.

Of course some might criticize such incrementalism as lacking vision, but what good is vision if it never yields results?
Too many small thinkers in positions of power. People who drive everywhere. Need younger energy. Public transit should be a number 1 priority. The more they wait and do nothing, the problem will just get worse and the cost will be higher.

Imagine if they started planning 10 years ago? Still a very small town mentality here. Would ease a lot of gridlock and would quell the crazy market. People move downtown in droves to escape the shitty public transit system.
Nov 10, 2017
504 posts
277 upvotes
"but made the point five times that the subway is important to the province as a whole, not just to Torontonians."
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
5834 posts
5509 upvotes
Toronto
civiclease wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 5:27 am
Are you new to Toronto? New transit plans are drafted every couple years and then fade away once the costs become apparent or a new administration is elected.
Big plans are but specific ones have been built like on Sheppard or Eglinton, out to Vaughan.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4665 posts
1527 upvotes
Sounds like Toronto is following the same cookie-cutter approach as Vancouver. Build an argument for needing subways, get funding from all levels of government and then ram the subway through so that the speculators can make money on scooping up land around the subway line and the developers can follow suit by building towering condos like crazy everywhere and market them to offshore buyers. In Vancouver, they even did a plebiscite on adding 0.5% to our sales tax to allow for the subway build and most every municipality voted against the tax (i.e. subway). But here we are, and it looks like it is going ahead anyways. On a street that is never busy but is pleasant because it is not covered by towers. At least for now.
Jun 1, 2017
393 posts
328 upvotes
Yes, Toronto should do something on transportation since more and more people flooding in the past and future.
Jan 27, 2018
181 posts
99 upvotes
TTC is a joke... Nothing will be done... This dude will be replaced with someone else who will come up with another pipe dream and the only folks who a re happy are the consultants (buddies of the pipe dreamers) making money...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
5834 posts
5509 upvotes
Toronto
Unknownname wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 12:12 pm
TTC is a joke... Nothing will be done... This dude will be replaced with someone else who will come up with another pipe dream and the only folks who a re happy are the consultants (buddies of the pipe dreamers) making money...
Probably why people are willing to pay so much for RE. Commuting is horrendous and public transit is a joke. Only question is how much you value your time.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
7863 posts
2980 upvotes
mazerbeaner wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 12:37 pm
Probably why people are willing to pay so much for RE. Commuting is horrendous and public transit is a joke. Only question is how much you value your time.
Yup. Downtown price will continue to soar to the moon as long as TTC remains shit. I can’t imagine a worse commuting experience every day. I live downtown and still dread taking the TTC

WOuld actually move further out and pay more to take the Go. Coworkers commuting from Ajax getting to work quicker than me. Lol.

Transit is the key.