Automotive

Ontario will eliminate the initial Drive Clean Testing fee at registration renewal April 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2017 5:17 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
wazabi wrote: My question is.. if mine expires March 31 as it is.
Can I go do the test drive on April 1 then renewal. At the kiosk.
u could get a ticket if found driving the car and cop was a dick about it.......
Nov 26, 2012
7 posts
Waterloo
CEL? How do I clear it with Torque and then pass the test?
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3199 posts
2222 upvotes
ontario
sferth wrote: CEL? How do I clear it with Torque and then pass the test?
what is the CEL for?

after you clear it, you can have ONE sensor in 'not ready' and pass (for renewal. for resale all have to be 'ready'). the last sensor to go into 'ready' is the one for EVAP controls.

this is how i got around getting my shitty old mazda to pass the last 4 years. before the test i had a CEL for the EVAP, I clear it, drove it until all sensors besides EVAP were ready but before the EVAP detected a fault. took it in for the test, got the pass and carried on as usual.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I guess I'll have to wait until April to renew my license plates.

https://www.thestar.com/autos/2017/01/2 ... e-now.html

In November 2016, it announced a starting date for the elimination of the $30 Drive Clean fee on vehicles seven years and older. That date is April 2017, which is more than a year after the government announced that it planned to kill the fee.

The government also announced that, also starting in April 2017, an emissions test is no longer required on the resale of pre-owned, salvaged or rebuilt light duty vehicles, regardless of age. This would include dealership company vehicles, which are typically grounded and sold with around 10,000 kilometres.

=====

It also probably doesn't make sense to pay for two years in 2017 since the 2018 rates are already set. 2019 will likely result in another increase which means paying for two-years in 2018 makes more financial sense, lol.

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/are-driver-a ... fees-going
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Its not the fees , its the program that should be scrapped altogether.
If it need to continue, make it the tail pipe test which is real indicator of whether a car is polluting or not.
Check engine light can be ON for several reasons not related to emissions. This is a money grab scheme.
btw mine is 2003 accord and passes with flying colors every single time. I maintain it well but can't say that CEL will not come for whatsoever reason in future. Sometimes it is tough to diagnose.
Another thing is - how stupid is the rule that you spend so and so ( I guess it is 400 or so dollars) on emission related repairs and you will pass.
First of all how would you know if it is an emission related issue by CEL.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
The end came for me (for light roast coffee) when the tasting notes at a light roast shop in Portland said: "Hints of citrus, star anise & coffee" - Unknown on the internet
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
That's true, I think once you spend $400 on a vehicle to try and fix it up, you no longer have to pass Drive Clean emission standards. That is really a strange law but then again, I don't think you can sell your car (maybe gifting is different) if it can't pass Drive Clean so unless that person is like me who has owned cars and hesitate to get rid of them, they will will have to scrap the car.

Maybe I'm wrong in that once can still sell a car that doesn't pass Drive Clean.

I got the mail this week and noticed my 02 Civic still needed to pass Drive Clean. Had to google it up as I thought initially, Drive Clean will be scrapped in April but my memory proved me wrong. :)
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
alanbrenton wrote: Maybe I'm wrong in that once can still sell a car that doesn't pass Drive Clean.
Used vehicles require a valid Drive Clean test pass when they are sold in order to transfer the ownership if the model year is older than the current year.

A valid test pass is not needed if you are transferring a vehicle to an immediate family member, including:

spouse
parent, stepparent
grandparent, step-grandparent
child, stepchild
grandchild, step-grandchild
sibling, half-sibling
father-in-law, mother-in-law
son-in-law, daughter-in-law
brother-in-law, sister-in-law

https://www.ontario.ca/page/buy-or-sell ... #section-5
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
True, while trucks and buses and VW's are allowed to spew a lot more pollutants.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Jimboski wrote: I recently did a e-test, any chance of being reimbursed since it's only a month or two away before it's free?
No
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1261 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So if I understand this revised emissions law correctly,

I can buy a used car (with a CEL or emissions related code) and still be able to transfer it into my name as fit? No need for drive clean...
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2056 posts
348 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
so.. I went to renew my sticker today, they said, oh the system wants you to get a Drive Clean Test, which I had done 2 years ago but I guess those are the rules, so i asked for a temp sticker paid the $15, She said well in April the cost will be free to get it tested, I am reading around that it's April 1st.. So I guess the most obvious thing for me to do is wait a few days since I have 10 days T sticker starting today and get the Drive Clean Testing fee done at no charge.
Do the garages get paid by the govt instead or something?

EDIT:

this doesn't apply to me, this is for the Initial test not a re test" womp womp

edit 2

I don't know what I am talking about. I am so confused

ok so the "initial test is me taking it in as forced by service Ontario, and that is free of charge as of April 1st, but if I failed the test and needed a retest I have to pay for it! That's what this is all about right?
Apr 18, 2011
476 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote: I get a CEL 1 in 3 fill up in my 2014. Just use torque to clear.
Obdii module, $15 plus $5 for torque.
Done
Did not quite get you. What is this torque about? What did you torque?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
yatta wrote: so.. I went to renew my sticker today, they said, oh the system wants you to get a Drive Clean Test, which I had done 2 years ago but I guess those are the rules, so i asked for a temp sticker paid the $15, She said well in April the cost will be free to get it tested, I am reading around that it's April 1st.. So I guess the most obvious thing for me to do is wait a few days since I have 10 days T sticker starting today and get the Drive Clean Testing fee done at no charge.
Do the garages get paid by the govt instead or something?

EDIT:

this doesn't apply to me, this is for the Initial test not a re test" womp womp

edit 2

I don't know what I am talking about. I am so confused

ok so the "initial test is me taking it in as forced by service Ontario, and that is free of charge as of April 1st, but if I failed the test and needed a retest I have to pay for it! That's what this is all about right?
Unless your sticker was expired today, I would have just waited until Monday and renew with the test completed.

Your last sentence sounds correct by my interpretation. Your first attempt is free, but if it fails, you pay to retest each additional time that may be required.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Yeah, I'm waiting to get mine done in April to save some gas money. :)
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
brought my vehicle in last week at midas to do emmion test but failed due to monitors not on as took battery out and vehicle wasn't driven enough for monitors to be reset...so if I go april 1st should be free for a retest
thanks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I really like these two changes.
- adjusting the $450 repair cost limit so that diagnostic and monitor setting fees can no longer count towards the limit.
- prohibiting consecutive conditional passes.

"Those dumb Ontarians won't see what we did there."
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2370 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
so, if i go go any qualified autoshop to do the drive clean inital test, we shouldn't get charged, right? should it be free now?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)