Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

OOS

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2018 9:05 pm
14 replies
May 29, 2008
828 posts
374 upvotes
I know it's been a while since it happened, but I don't know why they changed the design to block off the light on one side. I have the old version where the light shines in all directions except for the bottom base and the top cover which you can remove to change the bulb. That old style seems more functional to me.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14335 posts
15670 upvotes
Oil Country
toomuchpie wrote: I know it's been a while since it happened, but I don't know why they changed the design to block off the light on one side. I have the old version where the light shines in all directions except for the bottom base and the top cover which you can remove to change the bulb. That old style seems more functional to me.
Are you sure it's not the 3510 you had?
May 29, 2008
828 posts
374 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: Are you sure it's not the 3510 you had?
I didn't mean the old version of the 3520... I just meant the old version of the Philips Wake-Up Light. No, I did not have the 3510. That one seems to be 1 directional as well.
Jun 3, 2012
521 posts
338 upvotes
YORK
If only it had a micro sd slot so you could use your own music. Sent mine back. The "natural sounds" are irritating synthetic bird chrips mixed with cellphone ring type music. If you have a favorite music station this could be a good deal for you. I found the light helped for waking up.

Someone needs to design an arduino mp3 player and natural light dimmer setup.
Dec 7, 2012
911 posts
675 upvotes
Ontario
Updated w/ lower price
Gooddeal2012 wrote: Someone needs to design an arduino mp3 player and natural light dimmer setup.
I'm sure you could throw something together with Smartthings w/a couple RGB bulbs and a bluetooth speaker but I imagine most people use the radio rather than the built in sounds anyway
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6733 posts
3994 upvotes
Toronto
EliteJay wrote: Updated w/ lower price

I'm sure you could throw something together with Smartthings w/a couple RGB bulbs and a bluetooth speaker but I imagine most people use the radio rather than the built in sounds anyway
I have one similar to this, and I turn the volume off entirely, and just use it for the light. I set an alarm on my cellphone as backup using whatever sound, so you're not limited.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
2660 posts
3149 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I would jump on the deal with an extra 15% off coupon, we had a code even 2 days ago
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1917 posts
558 upvotes
Calgary
Why not buy a Philips hue starter kit (currently $130 at best buy) and turn your entire room into a wake-up light? It's a hub plus 4 bulbs, so all you really need. These go on sale regularly for less than $130 or you can grab a hub off Kijiji and 4 Ikea bulbs for a likely total of $80-90 all in.

I'm not trolling here, just a suggestion from someone who used to use an old wake-up light and now has my room programmed to fade the light on over time in the morning.
Dec 7, 2012
911 posts
675 upvotes
Ontario
Smartchen wrote: I would jump on the deal with an extra 15% off coupon, we had a code even 2 days ago
Updated w/ 20% PICKDADSGIFT code. Even lower now.
Nuprapture wrote: Why not buy a Philips hue starter kit (currently $130 at best buy) and turn your entire room into a wake-up light? It's a hub plus 4 bulbs, so all you really need. These go on sale regularly for less than $130 or you can grab a hub off Kijiji and 4 Ikea bulbs for a likely total of $80-90 all in.

I'm not trolling here, just a suggestion from someone who used to use an old wake-up light and now has my room programmed to fade the light on over time in the morning.
Probably due to simplicity and the fact it fades smoothly from dim red-orange-yellow-white instead of just "slowly turning on" as it would with light bulbs on a timer.
Mar 4, 2006
422 posts
237 upvotes
Ottawa
Nuprapture wrote: Why not buy a Philips hue starter kit (currently $130 at best buy) and turn your entire room into a wake-up light? It's a hub plus 4 bulbs, so all you really need. These go on sale regularly for less than $130 or you can grab a hub off Kijiji and 4 Ikea bulbs for a likely total of $80-90 all in.

I did exactly this but it doesn’t work very well. The white Hue bulbs simply don’t go dim enough so when they come on it’s a pretty big jump in brightness. I’m told that the colour hue bulbs can go dimmer though than the white ones.
Nov 26, 2015
598 posts
1262 upvotes
Winnipeg
I bought this before and returned it. Waste of money
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1659 posts
1166 upvotes
ottawa
EliteJay wrote: Updated w/ lower price

Gooddeal2012 wrote: If only it had a micro sd slot so you could use your own music. Sent mine back. The "natural sounds" are irritating synthetic bird chrips mixed with cellphone ring type music. If you have a favorite music station this could be a good deal for you. I found the light helped for waking up.

Someone needs to design an arduino mp3 player and natural light dimmer setup.
I built my own using home assistant, milight light bulbs, and a google home. I have a piano version of an ed sheeran song that plays after 3 mins of the light on soft volume and gradually increases. I can say ok google i'm up or snooze (7mins), and i get an ios notification with actionable notifications as well for awake/snooze. I built the automation in yaml then ported to nodered :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)