• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2010 2:42 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 1, 2009
33 posts
baller29 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2009 11:27 pm
battery is new because floor models arent turned on.
That's not always true, I purchased a floor model camera from fs and took it home and saw there were a few pictures of FS staff on the internal memory. Everything including the battery worked fine and still does so I never complained. And like you said you still have the warranty if needed.
Sep 14, 2009
643 posts
100 upvotes
Octavius wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 12:12 am
Yeah, that's what they want you to think...

I've seen first hand (not as a customer thankfully) just how good an "open box" product's warranty actually is.

One customer had purchased a laptop and had registered it under their name. They also bought the extended warranty. After three repairs within 1 year, and it needing a fourth, BB had given them a new laptop.

Guess what happened to the old laptop? It was wiped clean and resold as "open box" about 5 months later after it was repaired.

Sure enough, someone bought it and had a problem with it within a few months of purchase. They attempted to go through the MFR to take advantage of the warranty, only to be told the product had been sold to someone previously and the warranty had been therefore used up and was not applicable to the new sale.

This person had to jump through a lot of hoops to get the MFR to repair the product for them since they didn't buy the extended warranty. The product was clearly a lemon, but BB surely wasn't going to eat the cost of the unit.

When it comes to open box, you really have NO IDEA what the story behind the product is. Sometimes the product was bought and returned within a week because the person changed their mind, other times you'll end up with a situation like the one I described above.

This is why you should NEVER buy open box.
My dad picked up 2 open box 19" insignia lcd a few years back from futureshop. absolute nightmare. Had to have it fixed 3 times for one of them. the other one had a dead pixel the day after we purchased it so i returned it right away because i took it as a sign of bad things to come. :P So yeah, the other one turned out to be a nightmare, but it has actually been working ok for good solid chunk of time, but the picture quality is horrendous (i think i just ended up with a really bad tv model).

The futureshop guy had actually lied to use though when we bought it. I had asked him if there were any problems with it and he said 'nope, just returned because they didn't like it.' When the tv didn't turn on, we started looking closely at a small piece of sticker paper that was on the manual or stuck to the back of the tv ( i can't remember- it was awhile ago). anyways, the printed sticker said that it had been sent for repairs before. I was pretty damn unimpressed.
[OP]
Dec 20, 2009
107 posts
9 upvotes
The sales person said I have a 30day warrenty with bestbuy then I have to deal with the company of my product so how does bestbuy warrent your product like I don't want to return it if it's defective if I could I would want a replacement but can anyone tell me what's the diffence between bestbuy warrenty and manafacture warrenty
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6247 posts
1074 upvotes
baller29 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2009 11:06 pm
best buy is selling alot of open box items for 50% or more. i just picked up a $350 camera and it only cost me $150. this is better then boxing day deals
What camera did you get?
What location bestbuy?
Can I go to you for the discount?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1696 posts
157 upvotes
Edmonton
b1unt3d wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 12:07 am
my guess is the op meant "over the next week there will be a lot of open box sales..." .. seriously, is this difficult to figure out? :P
Well your guess, is way of the mark. You should check the OP, time it was posted and the time it was edited...clearly a difference of 34 min. He deleted the phrase "next week" from his OP.

Posted: Dec 30th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Last edited by baller29; Dec 30th, 2009 at 04:40 AM..
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1696 posts
157 upvotes
Edmonton
luongo321 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 12:28 am
My dad picked up 2 open box 19" insignia lcd a few years back from futureshop. absolute nightmare. Had to have it fixed 3 times for one of them. the other one had a dead pixel the day after we purchased it so i returned it right away because i took it as a sign of bad things to come. :P So yeah, the other one turned out to be a nightmare, but it has actually been working ok for good solid chunk of time, but the picture quality is horrendous (i think i just ended up with a really bad tv model).

The futureshop guy had actually lied to use though when we bought it. I had asked him if there were any problems with it and he said 'nope, just returned because they didn't like it.' When the tv didn't turn on, we started looking closely at a small piece of sticker paper that was on the manual or stuck to the back of the tv ( i can't remember- it was awhile ago). anyways, the printed sticker said that it had been sent for repairs before. I was pretty damn unimpressed.
Why would anyone want to buy another guys problem by buying an open box? Your not even saving any money but rather wasting more money and time by doing so :mad: .
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
1102 posts
52 upvotes
Edmonton
desertdeal wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 1:04 am
Well your guess, is way of the mark. You should check the OP, time it was posted and the time it was edited...clearly a difference of 34 min. He deleted the phrase "next week" from his OP.

Posted: Dec 30th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Last edited by baller29; Dec 30th, 2009 at 04:40 AM..
maybe he edited it out because of the confusion that it seemed to have caused?

btw, 4am? where the heck do you live? heh
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1696 posts
157 upvotes
Edmonton
b1unt3d wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 1:37 am
maybe he edited it out because of the confusion that it seemed to have caused?

btw, 4am? where the heck do you live? heh

My gues he's got an inside info...anyway not in the least interested in open boxes....

I just live by the horizon ..... :cheesygri
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14969 posts
1951 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
this is interesting....
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
4739 posts
1168 upvotes
Vancouver
i got a linksys 310N open box for 49.99 at FS and it was brand new inside. Looks like the outside was just opened
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
desertdeal wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 1:11 am
Why would anyone want to buy another guys problem by buying an open box? Your not even saving any money but rather wasting more money and time by doing so :mad: .
At 50% off, it might be worth it to take a chance on some things. I'd imagine that at least some of the open box stock right now is just gifts people opened and returned.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2002
2290 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
UnCeo wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 2:45 am
At 50% off, it might be worth it to take a chance on some things. I'd imagine that at least some of the open box stock right now is just gifts people opened and returned.
+1....besides, you still get the usual return period that new products have. if you realize that the product has been too used for your liking, you can return it.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1696 posts
157 upvotes
Edmonton
UnCeo wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 2:45 am
A big risk to take knowing the chances that the open box might have had a problem or just return for any reason are almost equal if not more.

CanadianMike wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 2:47 am
+1....besides, you still get the usual return period that new products have. if you realize that the product has been too used for your liking, you can return it.

Another pain in the neck, what are the chances that when its your turn to return the product that BB will just gladly accept it without hesitation. Possibly the time you could be wasting arguing for the return is much more than the savings you got by buying open box.

In the long run, it is each to his own ways, good luck on your purchase.
Dec 24, 2008
326 posts
28 upvotes
Regina
I can see a lot open box sells over next few weeks in BB&FS.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2009
1260 posts
315 upvotes
desertdeal wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 10:36 am
a big risk to take knowing the chances that the open box might have had a problem or just return for any reason are almost equal if not more.

Another pain in the neck, what are the chances that when its your turn to return the product that bb will just gladly accept it without hesitation. Possibly the time you could be wasting arguing for the return is much more than the savings you got by buying open box.

In the long run, it is each to his own ways, good luck on your purchase.
+1