• Apr 15th, 2017 8:46 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7061 posts
767 upvotes
Burnaby

Open request a deal forum to allow for referral requests

There are so many deals out there that are maximized by having a referral.

A new customer that wants to take advantage of these has trouble with getting someone to refer him or her much of the time.

Please allow new customers to request a referral in a dedicated thread in the request a deal forum (Zoomer, amex, Fido etc). People giving out referrals would message them only, no posting. Deal threads can point to the other forum for people who need the deal, and leave the discussion in hot deals
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
4927 posts
193 upvotes
Good luck with that. Here only allow people to use RFD related referral so RFD can get paid. Anything else mod and moderator will warn, delete, and/pr ban you.

One example is the ongoing referral bonus that Tangerine is giving to existing and new customer. IMO I don't see anything wrong with it. Both parties benefit from it. Of course RFD gets nothing for it. That is why RFD never in favour for it.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
7897 posts
12363 upvotes
Scarborough
We've actually been discussing this and it looks like it could happen sooner rather than later. Just need to get a few things approved first.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
1992 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 15th, 2016 10:49 pm
We've actually been discussing this and it looks like it could happen sooner rather than later. Just need to get a few things approved first.
That would be great! I agree no reason to not have this, especially for some larger companies as mentioned in this thread
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7061 posts
767 upvotes
Burnaby
Thanks, good to hear that it's being considered. While I'm aware that there could be RFD affiliates, there are also many companies with no ties that should be open. Fido, or Koodo, for example.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27441 posts
611 upvotes
Dildo, NL
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 15th, 2016 10:49 pm
@TomRFD how much longer?

I've always wondered what the BS is with this? I can see jtcb's point, is it realy the reason? I mean, why else would the forum care? It's such a Dictatorial & unnecessarily (I want to care because I want to) thing.
Here only allow people to use RFD related referral so RFD can get paid.

I try to follow the rules, but I see Constantly people benefitting from referrals. For fear of being banned/reprimanded I don't, I'm sure I've already blown quite a few referral opportunities because of this unnecessary rule.

Cheers.
???unlim CDN air&msging???unlim Global SMS???CD/VM???8Gb???$45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Tutorial: HotLinking Pics in Posts
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27441 posts
611 upvotes
Dildo, NL
not even a courtesy response...a week later. Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
Aug 10, 2008
446 posts
113 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 9:08 am
not even a courtesy response...a week later. Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
I guess we should wait a while before this happens.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27441 posts
611 upvotes
Dildo, NL
Xstian wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 3:45 pm
I guess we should wait a while before this happens.
no kidding.
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11215 posts
3326 upvotes
Oakville
bubble.tea wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 8:50 am
I've always wondered what the BS is with this? I can see jtcb's point, is it realy the reason? I mean, why else would the forum care? It's such a Dictatorial & unnecessarily (I want to care because I want to) thing.
The main reason they prevent people posting their own referral codes is because if they allowed it, the site would be literally filled with spammers begging for people to use their referrals. Having a separate forum for this makes sense, but I feel like it'll still be pretty spammy, and for companies like Koodo, Fido, etc, the problem lies in figuring out a fair way to do it so that one person doesn't just get ALL the referrals.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Aug 10, 2008
446 posts
113 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 2:07 pm
The main reason they prevent people posting their own referral codes is because if they allowed it, the site would be literally filled with spammers begging for people to use their referrals. Having a separate forum for this makes sense, but I feel like it'll still be pretty spammy, and for companies like Koodo, Fido, etc, the problem lies in figuring out a fair way to do it so that one person doesn't just get ALL the referrals.
So currently how do people send out invites on the forum? Is it ok to ask someone if they want invites by PM?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11215 posts
3326 upvotes
Oakville
Xstian wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 3:34 pm
So currently how do people send out invites on the forum?
Officially? They don't.
Xstian wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 3:34 pm
Is it ok to ask someone if they want invites by PM?
Technically? No, it's not. It's a violation of RFD's rules to send somebody an unsolicited PM offering them a referral code It's also a violation of RFD's rules to publicly ask for somebody to send you a PM with a referral code. Unofficially, if you for example send a PM to somebody in one of the Koodo threads asking them for an invite code, it's unlikely that they're going to turn down free money and report you to the mods. Though if they're not Koodo customers, they might be annoyed and report you, if they feel like being a jerk. And if you send somebody a referral code via PM, unsolicited, and they didn't want one, there's a good chance they will report you (particularly if they're sent many of them). Basically, referrals on RFD are like Fight Club. You don't talk about referrals on RFD.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Aug 10, 2008
446 posts
113 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 4:05 pm
Officially? They don't.

Technically? No, it's not. It's a violation of RFD's rules to send somebody an unsolicited PM offering them a referral code It's also a violation of RFD's rules to publicly ask for somebody to send you a PM with a referral code. Unofficially, if you for example send a PM to somebody in one of the Koodo threads asking them for an invite code, it's unlikely that they're going to turn down free money and report you to the mods. Though if they're not Koodo customers, they might be annoyed and report you, if they feel like being a jerk. And if you send somebody a referral code via PM, unsolicited, and they didn't want one, there's a good chance they will report you (particularly if they're sent many of them). Basically, referrals on RFD are like Fight Club. You don't talk about referrals on RFD.

I enjoyed the last part of the answer." Like a fight club". I got an unsolicited PM and I know this is RFD and took it in that spirit. I used his reference anyway.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27441 posts
611 upvotes
Dildo, NL
wearysky wrote:
I don't believe that's the reason.

RFD admin aren't losers who have no clue how to enforce rules or guide a community.

We used to 'bump' BST threads like 'the wild west'. They one day decided no more bumps, and bumps stopped.

I don't think they care who gets what referrals, probably YPG only cares that THEY get paid.

What I see making perfect sense is that if you have a referral, you can just link it in your signature and that's that. Possibly (and likely what'll happen to curb the parallel 'bump' eventuality - is forbig mention of referrals in POST, per Se, but if you're active in a thread otherwise, and someone sees your signature and that you can refer them, they'll contact you.

I say put the onuson the person who wants to use someone, rather than I am with Koodo and I want to refer someone.

The other side of this is some companies have a max / year, so nobody needs to worry that Person X is getting 'all the referrals'. Once someone maxes out, they'll be done for the rest of the year.

Ex:

my sig would be
PM for Referrals with abc, xyz, qrs
Any behaviours outside the rules fall in line with current escalation of disciplinary action. Infraction warnings, then bans. lol.

Who has time to solicit pm's? Geez. I need to get like $150 just to bat an eye lash and make an effort to get something. Otherwise, I'd rather have it dormant in the background and if someone catches it, then so be it.
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27441 posts
611 upvotes
Dildo, NL
wearysky wrote:
Here's the irony.

In fact, we have a 100% parallel currently active 'referral thread going on in Hot Deals.

Staples coupon thread. People are sharing, soliciting, spamming requests for coupons. The only difference here is people are making money, so RFD (in my opinion) stepped in. It's one massive cesspool of a solicitiation thread.

We could have the same sorta thread in 'group buys' for each company that does referrals.
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel