• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2017 8:46 am
Sep 30, 2001
26414 posts
5436 upvotes
Toronto
bubble.tea wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 8:07 am
Staples coupon thread. People are sharing, soliciting, spamming requests for coupons. The only difference here is people are making money, so RFD (in my opinion) stepped in. It's one massive cesspool of a solicitiation thread.
The example you gave is not a referral. People sharing coupon codes do not receive compensation (other than a warm fuzzy feeling). Spam wise it's pretty innocuous - people share their code once and move on. even those asking for a code generally do so once and move on. It's hardly a 'cesspool'.

A referral situation would be entirely different. People will jockey to get their code/key front and center to maximize views and they'll do all they can to entice sign ups (including compensating people for using their key). The higher the reward the worse this situation becomes. The admins have indicated they're open to the idea of revisiting this rule, but it has to be done with careful thought and consideration. Speaking as a user, it's also easy to understand why they also have to take into consideration the financial impact this could have, however small. That's just good governance.

For what it's worth I'm in favour of relaxing the rules but not until the rules are clearly defined and everyone agrees to play fair.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27752 posts
788 upvotes
Dildo, NL
MrDisco wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 10:56 am
The example you gave is not a referral...
Semantics.

The 'currency' that the one giving the coupon is the feeling of euphoria. For some people, the feeling of feeling appreciated, thanked, valued, is > 'currency'. Therefore in essence, it is exactly the same, yet allowed.

The point was, if you reduce the thread and activity down to it, the principle is identical.

I am fine if you disagree. :).

I fully agree with you on the conditions "until the rules are clearly defined". The second part of that though, imho - irrelevant. If you don't agree, you get banned. lol. Less disturbers to waste time on. Better quality experience in the community over all. Win Win for all positive contributors.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12447 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
bubble.tea wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 12:30 pm
Semantics.

The 'currency' that the one giving the coupon is the feeling of euphoria. For some people, the feeling of feeling appreciated, thanked, valued, is > 'currency'. Therefore in essence, it is exactly the same, yet allowed.
Lol. Yeah, not the same at all. People are MUCH more motivated by actual monetary currency than they are by being appreciated. If people valued thanks as much as they valued real money, you'd see people reposting their Staples coupon codes every 2 hours in that coupon thread, just to make sure that somebody used them.
Public Mobile
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27752 posts
788 upvotes
Dildo, NL
wearysky wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 1:03 pm
... If people valued thanks as much as they valued real money, you'd see people reposting their Staples coupon codes every 2 hours ....
I'm not saying EVERYONE values appreciation > $$..I'm saying for arguments sake, it is plausible and very much possible that this is the case.

I'm not sure if RFD still has it, but you used to be able to to click a stats button on each thread which would display the post counts by username in that thread. I bet if you could do this now, you would see the top 20 users in that thread who only mass-post their coupons for sake of some cyber-appreciation value (ex: Thanks). If there is no truth to it you'd see that it's an even spread of participants in that thread.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3907 posts
1105 upvotes
I highly doubt that there is anything malicious in regards to the Staples thread.

If anything it seems that Staples loves having the coupon thread on RFD.

It's a form of Advertising for them.

Of course, there may be someone who actively monitors the thread and provides codes to users requesting them, but a quick look reveals there isn't much begging at this time.

If Staples themselves disliked the coupons, they would likely contact RFD and ask them to remove the thread.

There have been a few cases where threads have been closed because of requests by companies.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3907 posts
1105 upvotes
RFD is a digital marketing platform for companies to interact with potential customers and referrals that go to an individual rather than Yellow Pages poster is a conflict of interest.

RFD would rather the company pay them than to pay the individual user.

In fact, Yellow Pages/RFD provided the user the platform for a referral posting or requesting ....

So, why should an individual user be rewarded?

RFD has created the platform and the user base, they have done all the work while people who give out referrals receive the benefit.

It would be nice if RFD allowed people to be rewarded for Yellow Pages/RFD putting in the hard work. But to not understand why Yellow Pages/RFD doesn't, is just selfish ignorance.