Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Royal Bank

Open a U.S Chequing Account, Enjoy no fees for 6months

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2018 6:49 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1688 posts
2367 upvotes
Waterloo Region
pmcd wrote: Don’t you have to have a SSN? Can you add a secondary US address to the RBC credit card, such as immediate family address? In fact, can you switch the billing address to that? It’s all very confusing as TD makes it quite difficult to obtain their credit card ( such as a rental agreement). Hopefully RBC is more flexible, especially for snowbirds who have somewhere to stay but do not have a formal rental agreement.
I have received and activated my U.S Credit card. All that was required was my Canadian SIN and my Canadian Address is the billing address. LIke i said, the entire process was done online. Nothing was asked of me. I think i only had to submit a copy of my drivers license when i opened the initial RBC USD high interest savings account 3 months ago. so no new document was required of me.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2002
2461 posts
949 upvotes
Halton
Gangsta101 wrote: I have received and activated my U.S Credit card. All that was required was my Canadian SIN and my Canadian Address is the billing address. LIke i said, the entire process was done online. Nothing was asked of me. I think i only had to submit a copy of my drivers license when i opened the initial RBC USD high interest savings account 3 months ago. so no new document was required of me.

not all the retailer will accept your Canadian address credit card. Newegg and Bestbuy for example, some might.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1688 posts
2367 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Fire wrote: not all the retailer will accept your Canadian address credit card. Newegg and Bestbuy for example, some might.
I understand this. When i have used a Canadian credit card with Walmart.com, i have had to enter a partial postcode, US format.

Having said that, i believe i now understand the question ( I initially thought he was suggesting you needed a US address to 'acquire' the credit card). I guess you could always contact RBC and confirm that information.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
nmclean wrote: +1

Nope, this is advertised on the US homepage: https://www.rbcbank.com/
pmcd wrote: Don’t you have to have a SSN? Can you add a secondary US address to the RBC credit card, such as immediate family address? In fact, can you switch the billing address to that? It’s all very confusing as TD makes it quite difficult to obtain their credit card ( such as a rental agreement). Hopefully RBC is more flexible, especially for snowbirds who have somewhere to stay but do not have a formal rental agreement.
TD does not require a rental agreement, only requires a US address.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Jun 21, 2018
1 posts
Can you transfer money from US checking account to another US bank via something similar to e-transfer?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Carmtastic wrote: Can you transfer money from US checking account to another US bank via something similar to e-transfer?
Yes. You can setup external account linking for me to me transfers via micro-deposits.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Nov 26, 2007
230 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Gangsta101 wrote: I have received and activated my U.S Credit card. All that was required was my Canadian SIN and my Canadian Address is the billing address. LIke i said, the entire process was done online. Nothing was asked of me. I think i only had to submit a copy of my drivers license when i opened the initial RBC USD high interest savings account 3 months ago. so no new document was required of me.
If they don't associate your card to an SSN, then I guess this card won't help to build a US credit history.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
2087 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone confirm you can transfer US dollar from paypal to this account? I have been searching for one but as far as I can tell, none of the Canadian bank US dollar account have this capability.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
zero_ wrote: Can anyone confirm you can transfer US dollar from paypal to this account? I have been searching for one but as far as I can tell, none of the Canadian bank US dollar account have this capability.
Canadian banks don't do this. But their corresponding stateside US banks can do this via the ACH system; that takes a couple of days. Paypal can also add it immediately to US debit cards for $1.
In your pants!
Oct 11, 2017
144 posts
110 upvotes
Vancouver
why not get BMO Harris Chq account (free allpoints atm all over) + RBC Bank (US) VISA?
and use BMO Harris to pay for US bill (like RBC Bank VISA)
you only have to open BMO Harris over the phone, and they will mail you paper work to sign
BMO Harris is free, no minimum balance and free allpoints ATM network, and free online transfer from BMO Canadian/US account, free welcome cheques
for transferring back from BMO Harris to Canada is not that easy, but i just write a US cheque to myself
Mar 7, 2011
687 posts
545 upvotes
Paris
If you don’t earn usd, whats the best and cheapest way to put in money from Canada?
Oct 25, 2008
230 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Knightsbridge or norberts Gambit(only available with RBC direct investing) are the cheaper ways to exchange currency.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1688 posts
2367 upvotes
Waterloo Region
ESSYMOND wrote:
If they don't associate your card to an SSN, then I guess this card won't help to build a US credit history.
All I can say is this, RBC specifically adds the US credit history building line as one of the benefits of getting the CC. Please note that there is a 3% charge on the credit card for non-US transactions. Meaning as long as you use the Card outside the US you incur that charge, even if the transaction is in USD
zero_ wrote: Can anyone confirm you can transfer US dollar from paypal to this account? I have been searching for one but as far as I can tell, none of the Canadian bank US dollar account have this capability.
Canadian banks USD accounts cannot accept deposits from PayPal. Having said that, this is not a Canadian USD you, but a bonafide US chequing account. I have deposited and withdrawn USD from PayPal. This was the reason I set it up in the first place.
kaijujager wrote: If you don’t earn usd, whats the best and cheapest way to put in money from Canada?
I would assume TransferWise. The fees are transparent and a lot better than what you get from the banks.
Mar 7, 2011
687 posts
545 upvotes
Paris
Is can bank to paypal usd to usd account not competitive?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1688 posts
2367 upvotes
Waterloo Region
kaijujager wrote: Is can bank to paypal usd to usd account not competitive?
Someone hasn't had their morning coffee yet. Grinning Face

Could you clarify?
Mar 7, 2011
687 posts
545 upvotes
Paris
Gangsta101 wrote: Someone hasn't had their morning coffee yet. Grinning Face

Could you clarify?
Sorry, meant:

Is CANADIAN bank to paypal usd to usd account TRANSFERS not competitive?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1688 posts
2367 upvotes
Waterloo Region
kaijujager wrote: Sorry, meant:

Is CANADIAN bank to paypal usd to usd account TRANSFERS not competitive?
1. PayPal will only pull CAD from a Canadian account. I assume you already know this.

2. That leaves us with pulling in CAD to PayPal, and then doing an internal PayPal conversion for which they charge 2.5 percent on top of "PAYPAL'S EXCHANGE RATE". For small amounts (less than 100CAD), this would be probably competitive. But above that, TransferWise offers you the mid-market exchange rate plus a fixed fee, making it more competitive.

Please note: it seems TransferWise will only deposit USD to a US based account, so Knightsbridge and Xe.com might be more your thing if you don't have a US based account
Also, In terms of speed, PayPal appears to complete all deposits in 3 days. I think all the others require a longer time frame to complete conversions and deposits
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
1246 posts
265 upvotes
I think this is going to suit my needs. I'm starting employment soon as a contractor with a US based company and they'll be paying me semi-monthly into a US account (which I still need to set up). After they deposit, I think I'll be using KBFX to withdraw that money, convert and then deposit it into my RBC CAD Checking account.

Is this the best set up? Anyone have other ways of doing the above? I'm not sure if I'll get the credit card option but I will have semi annually trips down to the US for meetings / retreats but most of the expenses should be covered while I'm down there.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
wanton007 wrote: I think this is going to suit my needs. I'm starting employment soon as a contractor with a US based company and they'll be paying me semi-monthly into a US account (which I still need to set up). After they deposit, I think I'll be using KBFX to withdraw that money, convert and then deposit it into my RBC CAD Checking account.

Is this the best set up? Anyone have other ways of doing the above? I'm not sure if I'll get the credit card option but I will have semi annually trips down to the US for meetings / retreats but most of the expenses should be covered while I'm down there.
TD is your best bet. Open TD accounts here and there. If you're going to be working in the northeast / mid-Atlantic, even better as there are branches there. They have free checking (US spelling!) as long as you maintain $100 in the account. And you can transfer money back and forth between Canada / US accounts for free.

By the way, Transferwise is the cheapest bank to bank foreign transfer service.
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
1246 posts
265 upvotes
FatWallet wrote: TD is your best bet. Open TD accounts here and there. If you're going to be working in the northeast / mid-Atlantic, even better as there are branches there. They have free checking (US spelling!) as long as you maintain $100 in the account. And you can transfer money back and forth between Canada / US accounts for free.

By the way, Transferwise is the cheapest bank to bank foreign transfer service.
The company is in San Fran and all my other daily banking is with RBC right now. But I'll look into TD as well.

How fast is the turn around with TransferWise compared to KBFX? I was hoping for as fast as possible and same day FC transfer would be ideal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)