None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1065 posts
26 upvotes

open a us dollar account in buffalo or near by

hello
i want to open a us dollar account with a visa card. i am trying to follow the practse as in this link.
http://dan.matan.ca/US-Bank-Account-For ... nge-Paypal

what is a convenient bank in buffalo. i was thinking of bank of america but dont know if they exist in buffalo.
any ideas.....
9 replies
Dec 18, 2007
355 posts
Mississauga
Just do a search on the internet. I can't view the link from where I am but with the CND$ at almost par, is this worth it? Sometimes the fees for these types of accounts do not justify opening one. Most banks in Canada have a US dollar account that you can open or a US visa you could apply for. Use the visa for payment on internet purchases such as ebay.
Aug 20, 2007
322 posts
13 upvotes
US Accounts tend not to have fees... (at least monthly fees)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1065 posts
26 upvotes
additionally. if you read the link, the us dollar account in USA is much better than a Canadian US dollar account. especiially if you buy stuff of us and use paypal. which i do.
Jul 29, 2008
1 posts
Mississauga
I've been very happy with M&T ( http://mandtbank.com/ ) for my US checking needs. They're prevalent in Northern NY and I was able to open an account just by walking in with my drivers license and a check to deposit, it took maybe 15 minutes. Like most US banks, they offer free checking.

Unless you have an SSN, you can't use online banking with any US bank that I know of but you can use telephone and postal-mail banking.

Depending on the bank, you may require more documentation to prove your a Canadian citizen, not a US resident, and not a US citizen. You'll also require extensive documentation to deposit over $10,000 USD in any negotiable instrument. (Of course you need paperwork to bring such a thing into the US first.)
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1519 posts
49 upvotes
ON
Try this:
Citizens Bank - no fee checking + Mastercard/debit
Target Red Visa

junkone wrote:
Jul 29th, 2008 9:19 am
hello
i want to open a us dollar account with a visa card. i am trying to follow the practse as in this link.
http://dan.matan.ca/US-Bank-Account-For ... nge-Paypal

what is a convenient bank in buffalo. i was thinking of bank of america but dont know if they exist in buffalo.
any ideas.....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1065 posts
26 upvotes
is there a national bank in buffulo area with free checking. it would be better because if i travel down the states, i can still use it to draw cash anywhere(hopefully)
Jul 13, 2007
529 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
There must be nothing scarier than seeing a thread title, and thinking to yourself "Hrmmm, I think they should look at my guide", only to see, that they're talking about your very guide.

thegradas: How were you able to get an actual US Credit Card? I guess you used a US Address? Looks like they'll accept a driver's license instead of a SSN, thank you illegal immigration! ha

Anyways, places close to Buffalo, I remember while doing my search, that there was a Bank of America (I think the Rainbow Bridge one in Lewiston) that specifically dealt with Canadians. Not that other branches couldn't, but they were spozda be the ones that knew how to do it all.

So, ya, take a look at Bank of America. I was even able to get assistance with their online chat system on opening an account as a Canadian. Time for me to update my guide I think. I'm sure M&T is a good bank too.
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1519 posts
49 upvotes
ON
Go to Target and apply for a Target Red Visa CC. It's available for Canadians.

HammerRFDer wrote:
Aug 9th, 2008 6:51 pm
thegradas: How were you able to get an actual US Credit Card? I guess you used a US Address?
Jan 4, 2008
973 posts
89 upvotes
The easiest way to open a US account can be done right in Canada at any local RBC Royal Bank branch. Just ask for the RBC Access USA account. This account is not operated by RBC in Canada, but RBC Bank in the United States. Once opened, the account is assigned to a branch most likely in Florida and you can transfer funds between Canada and the U.S. free of charge. As well, you will receive a debit card which can be conveniently used with companies such as PayPal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)