Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1375 posts
113 upvotes

Openbox item from FS

So Just picked up an Open box Car stereo for my wifes Van, asked the sales guy if everything was in there, and was told yes. Proceeded to purchase it. Get home and look at it , relieze that it was missing the Wire harness (not sure how I missed this lol) anyways I was listed at $40 bucks, regular $80 (jvc deck) just wondering if I can get the wire harness from FS or if I have to return it and repurchase a new one. Never had an issue like this before at FS (I live 50k from FS so I'm thinking of getting deck from Walmart if I have to buy a new one) any ideas?

Thanks Winky
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
You could go back and try to get the harness and as from what I understand from the post there was nothing written on the invoice about a missing harness they do technically owe you one you should get one. However with gas prices these days if it is a 100km round trip I would probably pick up another cheap one from a place closer to home and keep this as a lesson to check everything yourself if you are going to purchase another OB item. Also for everyones information there is always a list of included accessories in the manual for every product I have ever seen sold.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
isajoo wrote:
May 3rd, 2008 3:22 am
dont think its worth going there for open box item.

call them 1st.

most open box items are sold as is, all accessories are options if included.

u can buy one off ebay if ur not in a rush. u may need to order a mounting bracket anyways.
An open box item is only sold as is if " as is" is written on the reciept and the missing accessories are indicated on the reciept. On all open box sales the Future Shop invoice states that all policies and warranties are the same as if the product was new.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3353 posts
65 upvotes
Never Ever! Buy open box products until you ask the sales person to help check (physically) that everything is in there.

It takes 5 mins and it saves you alot of time for you to be playing with your new gadget then taking it back to the store and waiting 15mins in the customer service line and another 10mins of explaining what happen and for them to get the Manager's approval.

my 2 cents.
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3297 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
open box does not have to include all the accessories, hence it is called open box.

consider urself lucky if everything is inside
Ask me anything about Auto, Home, Business, Commercial or Life Insurance. Or anything about annuities/segregated funds! :D
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2005
1399 posts
47 upvotes
The receipt should show the salesperson's name on it. Go back to the store and talk to the guy (or his manager).
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
isajoo wrote:
May 3rd, 2008 6:18 pm
yes warranty are the same as new, but it does not mean all accessories are included(many dont include the box, which likely contained the rest of the items). i have saved a tonne buying open box items with things missing like power adapter or cables. they reduce the price by upto 1/2 of cost and even through in the psp warranty.
True you can save a ton on an open box item that is missing accessories but unless they tell you when you make the purchase that the item you are buying is missing the accessories then they owe them to you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7347 posts
816 upvotes
GTA
I've never bought an open box item (at least not knowingly) from FS, but I have been offered them in the store before. Once when i was looking at laptops, there was a sale on, and I asked about the laptop with the sale price listed. The rep. told me, the sale price was for open box laptops as those were the ones they were trying to get rid of. He said it had been opened and returned, but that's was it. Everything that would come with a new item was there. I still wasn't interested because it was open box and the discount didn't seem to be enough to make me want to buy it. It also sounds like the OP was told that everything was included so it should have been despite it being an open box item. If it's too far away, I'd call the store and tell them what happened, but explain it's too far for you to travel. Maybe they can give you a minimal discount on something in the store the next time you're there since you'll have to buy the part closer to where you live.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3358 posts
1368 upvotes
Ontario
You can usually order replacement harnesses from the manufacturer or sometimes, ebay.

For the price, it might be a better bet considering the time and cost it would be to go back to FS who may or may not do something for you, even if you call them first. Would you be entirely surprised to get a different answer on the phone vs in person?
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!