• Jun 2nd, 2006 9:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 28, 2002
277 posts
6 upvotes

Opening a store

I'm in the process of opening a store in New Westminster (GVA) and let me just tell everyone here who's thinking of doing it... be prepared for a lot of hassle. This whole process is full of waiting for things, and paperwork. Licenses, permits, lease proposals, bank account issues, name registration, deposits, inspections, renovations, painting, advertising, regulations, etc. etc. It helps to start with a large pile of money, good credit, and an established business.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
I tip my hat to you in doing everthing you can to make it work ... keep up the hard work ... and I hope that you are quite succesful

I live in New West as well ... what are you opening?
[OP]
Dec 28, 2002
277 posts
6 upvotes
I'll give you one hint (check my sig.).

BTW - Locked down the location today. Now it's on to the pile of paperwork.
Aug 5, 2004
225 posts
congratulation!

I opened a business in Richmond last sept and it was such a frustrating but rewarding experience.

Before I locked down my lease, I wasn't sure if I wanted my biz in Van Cambie area, Metrotown, or Richmond. So I had to check with all cities for their building code and zoning regulations for tutoring centre. Apparently, the building code and zoning will impact the location and therefore the lease as well as the cost of renovation.

I put down a serious offer on a location in Feb last year. After 6 round of negotiation, the landlord backed out :(

Then found my current location, slightly more expensive, but more centrally located :) Happy again!

Then, lots of paper work with the cities... permits for renovation, permits for this and that. I was a regular at the Richmond City Hall!

Congrats again. This is just the beginning!
[OP]
Dec 28, 2002
277 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks for the congrats. Now I'm looking into Visa/MC/Interac providers, and trying to find cheap parking (which isn't going so well). The store will be at 407 Columbia St. in case anyone wants to stop by next month (we're not open yet).
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2004
2512 posts
65 upvotes
Coquitlam
Get some good bars for your windows :) I am a New West boy, but moved to Coquitlam last year.

Try to lock in your lease if possible. I think that area is going to turn it around. I can see rent rising quite a bit in that area in the coming years. Lots of new development in the area. I think New West is great, no bridge travel to Vancouver is always nice.

You might also wanna look to see if there any deals in the mall opening up at columbia skytrain. Probably quite expensive, but probably worth a quick call.
May 18, 2006
2 posts
We have built store for Sondigo http://www.sondigo.com/sirocco

at

http://www.sondigo.com/sondigostore

This is oscommerce based solution and we have taken care of Canadian and US Shippments.

We have also done Real Time Integration usind PEAR XML-RPC with a fulfillment company and are currently looking into providing realtime order tracking information by integration with Fedex.

The site is built in Drupal but we are also close to integrating drupal and osCommerce.

There are other opensource solutions you can look at like Zencart - but all in all anything that you consider will require great deal of customization. Not to forget that once you have your integration done, you should rehaul your UI.
May 18, 2006
18 posts
Hi
I am interested in opening a small store. Since all of you have already started this process. I was wondering what are your recommendations on the amount of money someone would need, minus the inventory since that is more related to each business. For example rent, all the fees, etc.. just enough so you can open the door to your store.
Michael
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15410 posts
5679 upvotes
PoopyP wrote:Hi
I am interested in opening a small store. Since all of you have already started this process. I was wondering what are your recommendations on the amount of money someone would need, minus the inventory since that is more related to each business. For example rent, all the fees, etc.. just enough so you can open the door to your store.
Michael
That would vary with store type, city and so many more factors.
May 18, 2006
18 posts
Well an average number or something that you guys experienced. If you could post that that would be great. Any sort of guidance.
Michael
[OP]
Dec 28, 2002
277 posts
6 upvotes
kud0s69 wrote:Get some good bars for your windows :) I am a New West boy, but moved to Coquitlam last year.

Try to lock in your lease if possible. I think that area is going to turn it around. I can see rent rising quite a bit in that area in the coming years. Lots of new development in the area. I think New West is great, no bridge travel to Vancouver is always nice.

You might also wanna look to see if there any deals in the mall opening up at columbia skytrain. Probably quite expensive, but probably worth a quick call.
No bars, but I'm tightening security in other ways...

- 1 block from police station with cops walking by every 10 minutes.
- Multiple video cameras with night vision & sound uploaded to offsite server.
- Window display large/strong enough that a vehicle would have trouble crashing through it, and an individual couldn't get past it.
- More (that cannot be mentioned here).

I'm in a 3 year lease, and yes the area around my location is getting better. The "mall" area in the Skytrain is way overpriced and the owner/manager didn't even call me back (poor service).

As for PoopyP, try to start with $10,000 or so, but as stated this could vary depending on the type of business, location, etc. You will need at least $5000 though... bare minimum.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
90 upvotes
ElvishMerchant wrote:- Multiple video cameras with night vision & sound uploaded to offsite server.
Cameras are pretty useless... they are only used after something happens. Bars are a deterrent.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2004
2512 posts
65 upvotes
Coquitlam
mart242 wrote:Cameras are pretty useless... they are only used after something happens. Bars are a deterrent.

Bars also detract from store appearance, I can understand why he doesn't want bars. Barred up storefronts make you feel like your entering a jail cell.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
90 upvotes
kud0s69 wrote:Bars also detract from store appearance, I can understand why he doesn't want bars. Barred up storefronts make you feel like your entering a jail cell.
But he'll be selling video games.. doesn't that attract a certain crowd that might be tempted to steal his stuff because it's easy to sell? He's near the police station though.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2002
277 posts
6 upvotes
All the bars prevent is access through a smashed window... my window display will be large & re-inforced to serve the same purpose without detracting from the appearance.