[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1554 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto

OpenVPN vs. PIA app - Significant speed difference

I've recently gone with PIA as my VPN.

Speed wise, the app is great. Choosing local, I only loose about 10% or so network speed.

I tried setting up OpenVPN with my Archer C7 V2 using this guide (LEDE R00t build). The VPN works, but the speed is reduced by about 75% making even streaming 1080p video a buffering nightmare.

I know I could simply auto-start the app on every computer and use the app as needed on mobile devices, but I was hoping to go through the router. After some reading, it seems that this is a limitation for normal residential routers. Does anyone have any suggestions or has had any success setting up OpenVPN on their router with speed more consistent with their respective VPN's application?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1394 upvotes
Richmond
Routers are notoriously slow at running advanced apps like OpenVPN. They just don't have the CPU speed or memory necessary to run fast unless you have a very high-end router. It's convenient, but not a good solution if you're concerned about speed.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4247 posts
2591 upvotes
North York
spintheblackcircle wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:46 pm

Speed wise, the app is great. Choosing local, I only loose about 10% or so network speed.

I tried setting up OpenVPN with my Archer C7 V2 using this guide (LEDE R00t build). The VPN works, but the speed is reduced by about 75% making even streaming 1080p video a buffering nightmare.

I know I could simply auto-start the app on every computer and use the app as needed on mobile devices, but I was hoping to go through the router. After some reading, it seems that this is a limitation for normal residential routers. Does anyone have any suggestions or has had any success setting up OpenVPN on their router with speed more consistent with their respective VPN's application?
I was thinking of doing VPN at router level, but then i realized there are websites that my wife or I frequently visit, will not accept VPNs. The thoughts of me (or my wife nagging me to) logging on to router, reset it to no-VPN, to access these websites, then set it back to VPN, was terrifying. Not worth it.
PIA gave you 5 spontaneous accesses, use them
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1469 posts
443 upvotes
spintheblackcircle wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:46 pm

There are no settings you can use to fix the slow router cpu speed. I have tinkered with the encryption methods on openvpn to less secure but it makes no difference in the overall speed when running vpn on the router.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18471 posts
3609 upvotes
Thornhill
Most consumer level routers can't give you full speed over VPNs unfortunately. I was looking into this in the past but decided against it due to the speed limitation. You can clearly see the CPU usage spike when running a VPN, most router UIs have a simple CPU/RAM usage. It will spike to 100% when VPN is in use.

I wonder if a Pi3 could be powerful enough...
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1469 posts
443 upvotes
On the default openvpn on router, the connection will drop and your ip will be exposed several times a day. This is far less likely to happen with the PIA app.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
OP what kind of speed are you getting on PIA? I recently went with VPNsecure as they had a lifetime deal for $34USD and I'm happy with them. I generally get around 40mbps, with peaks around 60-70mbps, sometimes it drops to around 25mbps. So far it's stable and generally fast enough though. I'm just wondering how much faster a "good" VPN like PIA would be.
I am a Zoomer customer.