• Dec 15th, 2018 2:42 pm
[OP]
Mar 13, 2012
38 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

OPG Nuclear Operator In Training

Hi folks,

I'm a new grad engineer with 1 year of work experience. I had an interview for a Nuclear Operator in Training (NOIT) at OPG this January. I flew in from Northern Ontario and they had me write their aptitude test in the morning and since I passed that, they interviewed me in the afternoon. They told me that if I get an email asking me to fill out security clearance forms, that is my hint that they will be extending me an offer (I think late March/early April is when they are supposed to go out). 3 weeks after the interview I get an email to fill out my security clearance documents for my background check.

I'm just wondering if there are any Nuclear Operators here and if they can tell me what type of career paths I could expect. They basically told me you either go from NOIT to Nuclear Operator to SNO/Authorized Nuclear Operator or NOIT to Nuclear Operator to Shift Supervisor. Is there any way I could later, say in 10 years, move to an engineering role? Or could I become a commissioning coordinator for the last Darlington unit to be refurbished in 6 yearsish from now. Anything else I should know about the role? Also, how stable/secure is the job? I mean, what are the odds that the gubment will mothball all OPG nuclear power plants and I'll be out of a job in 5 years?

Thanks!
563 replies
[OP]
Mar 13, 2012
38 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know that jobs like this work on a pay scale so I'm not even going to try to negotiate anything, I'm fortunate enough to simply have the offer. Plus, I get to move back to my home town so I've got that going for me, which is nice, really nice.

They said they got 3,000 applications for this round of hiring and they tested 500 people and interviewed 200-300 of them for 34 openings.
Mar 5, 2014
2 posts
I also had an interview in early February, I think it went really well so I'm also hoping to hear back.

Just so you know though, they do send every single person they interview the security paperwork. And also regarding your job security question, refurbs mean more need for nuclear operators. And the Auditor Generals report released late last year indicated operators were understaffed as it is. I've also heard that they don't like trained operators moving to engineering as it defeats the purpose of them investing years of training into you just for you to jump ship to engineering, although once you are in they can't really stop you.

Hopefully we both hear good news soon :D
Jan 5, 2009
430 posts
35 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Those salaries are ridiculous. OP, what program did you take in university?
Mar 5, 2014
2 posts
I can't speak for OP but I took Electrical Engineering.

For operators they look for University Engineering degrees in Mechanical, Electrical or Nuclear.
Or college diplomas in mechanical or electrical Technology (Technologists) or Power Engineering Technician.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3123 posts
282 upvotes
Mississauga
potential options after nuclear operator could include PMs for outages/refurbs/etc.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2012
38 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Just wondering if anyone interviewed in January/February has heard anything from OPG yet?
[OP]
Mar 13, 2012
38 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Update. OPG sent out offers for the June start day last week. I'm in that batch, hopefully other people from here also got an offer.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2443 posts
381 upvotes
ninthtimesacharm wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2014 11:06 pm
Update. OPG sent out offers for the June start day last week. I'm in that batch, hopefully other people from here also got an offer.
Congrats. Darlington? It's a great plant.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2012
38 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Yup, Darlington is where they have me assigned. So glad because I've heard great things about it. They have me start my classroom training on June 5th but I'm still waiting on my security clearance to go through before I leave my current job.
Aug 11, 2009
18 posts
1 upvote
Hi all i have a request if anybody can tell me how to prepare for the noit test.....bcos i giving the test for past 4 years but cud not pass it.i would really appreciate if anybody can help me. Thanks
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
207 upvotes
Iceland
Damn, this would be a sick job, truly a guaranteed lucrative job for life. Congrats to the people that get these jobs.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2014 2:48 am
oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2625 posts
467 upvotes
ocean123 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2014 12:49 am
Hi all i have a request if anybody can tell me how to prepare for the noit test.....bcos i giving the test for past 4 years but cud not pass it.i would really appreciate if anybody can help me. Thanks
:facepalm:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)