• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2019 12:00 am
[OP]
Dec 23, 2002
33 posts
10 upvotes
Cambridge

Opinion: 2019 MINI Countryman Plug-in Hybrid Cooper S E ALL4 AWD

Currently have a 2008 4runner V8, 2007 Tacoma TRD 4X4 and a 2013 Camaro SS, so as you can tell fuel economy has never been of any real importance. However my wife has to drive into Toronto from Cambridge for work and our daughter will be going off to Ottawa for university and I see a lot of trips in the coming future. The Camaro is the Camaro...weekend car, and I think we want to keep the truck for all the trucky things we want to do, so I am thinking it may be time to trade in the 4Runner.
We do a lot of distance, long trips, I think that full EV is too much (IE, I'd love a Tesla but....$$$) so I believe that Hybrid would be the way I'd want to go. I don't like normal...boring, ...tried a Camry hybrid...(Yawn)..tried a Accord hybrid (Yawn). Test drove the new 2019 Rav4 Hybrid, and liked that, but the waiting list... no negotiation...really....?
So what are people's opinions of the Mini Countryman hybrid? I have had 3 different 5 series beemers in the past, so yeah I know the BMW quality is great but they get fussy when not properly looked after. (Preventative maintenance is key)
Thoughts...
29 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25315 posts
10207 upvotes
Toronto

Nice and sporty Smiling Face With Open Mouth

The only negative point I see is having to pay more for this variant, the general consensus suggests you will not get much better in gas consumption in return when compared to the regular variant.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
840 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
With the reputation Mini Coopers have for unreliability, you might want to consider another make.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12635 posts
6888 upvotes
Toronto
My buddy is on his 2nd cooper countryman s all4 and never had a problem. Regular oil changes, nothing more. I think these are pretty reliable and I like the mini, but after seeing his new one that he just picked up, it's no longer a mini. Thing is massive. Can't comment on the hybrid but I think the countryman S is a great car with average fuel economy and a insane price tag for what you get. If that floats your boat, ride the water.

Quite a few number of folks here have the volt, my other buddy's just passed 100k without issue. Some people say there's an issue with the shifter. Maybe a prius, but if you're saying the camry is blah...
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 2, 2017
684 posts
882 upvotes
Is the Cambridge to Toronto commute a daily thing? That's about 200km a day... the 19km electric range on the Mini won't help a whole lot. You probably should run the numbers for a Tesla, it's only about $10k to get the SR+ Model 3 over the Mini, but if you're doing 1000km a week commuting, that difference would be made up quickly in gas savings.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2781 posts
2767 upvotes
GTA
I would think that for long trips you'll want something bigger than a Mini. Both for personal comfort and cargo.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23491 posts
2850 upvotes
Montreal
koffey wrote:
May 21st, 2019 2:11 pm
My buddy is on his 2nd cooper countryman s all4 and never had a problem. Regular oil changes, nothing more. I think these are pretty reliable and I like the mini, but after seeing his new one that he just picked up, it's no longer a mini. Thing is massive. Can't comment on the hybrid but I think the countryman S is a great car with average fuel economy and a insane price tag for what you get. If that floats your boat, ride the water.

Quite a few number of folks here have the volt, my other buddy's just passed 100k without issue. Some people say there's an issue with the shifter. Maybe a prius, but if you're saying the camry is blah...
Did your buddy own them beyond the warranty period? Or was it just leases
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12635 posts
6888 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
May 21st, 2019 2:51 pm
Did your buddy own them beyond the warranty period? Or was it just leases
Yeah, good point, 4 year leases.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Dec 23, 2002
33 posts
10 upvotes
Cambridge
TheTall wrote:
May 21st, 2019 2:20 pm
Is the Cambridge to Toronto commute a daily thing? That's about 200km a day... the 19km electric range on the Mini won't help a whole lot. You probably should run the numbers for a Tesla, it's only about $10k to get the SR+ Model 3 over the Mini, but if you're doing 1000km a week commuting, that difference would be made up quickly in gas savings.

Hhmmmm, I'll have to actually check out the Tesla model 3, the commute to Toronto is 5 days a week. That's where the 2019 Rav4 that is self charging is an interesting concept, but you do of course sacrifice fuel mileage to charge your battery back up.
I have a hard time getting over, or feeling completely independent of Fuel....as odd as that sounds, but we have family in Sudbury, will be driving to Ottawa, so I like the idea of being able to just use Gas if that's all that there is, or not being held back from just "going" but for just the daily commute, even that short range of the all electric brings the combined avg.fuel economy right down. The Hybrid mini has a combined of 3.6L/100km of course that is I assume for a fairly short trip. I think the fuel alone is somewhere around the 6L/100km if I am not mistaken.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2002
33 posts
10 upvotes
Cambridge
derass wrote:
May 21st, 2019 2:48 pm
I would think that for long trips you'll want something bigger than a Mini. Both for personal comfort and cargo.
With still having the Camaro and a truck, one small compact that would be used mostly for commute wouldn't be of concern. The mini is actually quite comfortable as well...just no cargo space to brag of.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8747 posts
1063 upvotes
TheTall wrote:
May 21st, 2019 2:20 pm
The OP's wife is pretty much spending all her time in the car. The gas and time and stress not even worth it, just as well sell the house and move closer to Toronto. Especially is going to be a long term gag.

You are right about the Tesla. Hybrid doesn't get great numbers on the highway anyways. Hybrid work well in stop and go traffic where you allow energy recovery during slow down on the lights.
Nov 7, 2017
156 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mbg wrote:
May 21st, 2019 5:09 pm
Reason #1: It looks like a clown shoe.
I 100% agree with this. I find these the ugliest vehicles on the road today, next to the Prius V.

But OP said Camry Hybrids and Accord Hybrids are boring, I wonder what makes these fun..
[OP]
Dec 23, 2002
33 posts
10 upvotes
Cambridge
Ok, so have switched up now to looking more at the 2019 Lexus UX 250h. Also small, but we like that, quite fuel efficient, reasonably priced and I sure the build quality will be more in line with what we would expect from Toyota