Computers & Electronics

Opinion: 60" LG LM7200 @$1599 or 55" Samsung ES7500 @$1548?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2013 1:59 pm
Aug 29, 2005
506 posts
85 upvotes

Opinion: 60" LG LM7200 @$1599 or 55" Samsung ES7500 @$1548?

Having a hell of a time deciding between these two TVs. I got the 60" LG 60LM7200 at FS for $1599. But the Brick has the 55" Samsung UN55ES7500FX (ZC) for $1548.

For 50 bucks less, and by sacrificing 5" of diagonal, you get a whole lot more bells and whistles like voice command and cameras with facial recognition (plus it is a much slicker looking design, if you wanna get really picky). But my main concern is the image. In store the Samsung looks amazing. But presentation might account for much of that, e.g. Ideal lighting, proper HD sources, calibration, etc. The LG in store had just an HD cable feed happening, with obviously less than ideal settings.

Can anyone offer any thoughts on choosing between these two models? I am picking up the LG today, and if I want the Samsung, it is back ordered until February.

Thanks for any insight!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2769 posts
587 upvotes
I'd go for samsung, their smart tv is actually capable enough to do most things that an HTPC does. It has a full browser with flash support so you can stream shows/movies. It also direct plays everything with plex or external HDD.

Samsung is also known for great PQ while LG is known to have not as deep blacks. Not this generalization might not apply to these two particular sets so take it with a grain of salt. LG passive 3D is probably the best out there
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
506 posts
85 upvotes
fatestkid wrote:
Jan 7th, 2013 12:09 pm
I'd go for samsung, their smart tv is actually capable enough to do most things that an HTPC does. It has a full browser with flash support so you can stream shows/movies. It also direct plays everything with plex or external HDD.

Samsung is also known for great PQ while LG is known to have not as deep blacks. Not this generalization might not apply to these two particular sets so take it with a grain of salt. LG passive 3D is probably the best out there
Yes, since posting I've been able to spend some time with the LG 7200. I am quite content with the picture. Once calibrated, it is great. Does not look as nice as the Samsung, but still very subtle styling (i.e. it is a very simply, plain black frame). Tasteful, though not quite as nice as the Samsung. I am content with the LG's smart TV stuff, supports Plex and all kinds of other goodness. I do think I prefer passive polarized to active shutter 3D.

But the main reason I am likely to just stay with the LG (aside from the hassle of packing it all up lol) is the size. That extra 5" equates to a screen with a surface area about 19% larger. In the room I am using the TV, it makes just enough of a difference to justify it.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2769 posts
587 upvotes
domhnall wrote:
Jan 7th, 2013 1:02 pm
Yes, since posting I've been able to spend some time with the LG 7200. I am quite content with the picture. Once calibrated, it is great. Does not look as nice as the Samsung, but still very subtle styling (i.e. it is a very simply, plain black frame). Tasteful, though not quite as nice as the Samsung. I am content with the LG's smart TV stuff, supports Plex and all kinds of other goodness. I do think I prefer passive polarized to active shutter 3D.

But the main reason I am likely to just stay with the LG (aside from the hassle of packing it all up lol) is the size. That extra 5" equates to a screen with a surface area about 19% larger. In the room I am using the TV, it makes just enough of a difference to justify it.
I am glad you are happy that's the most important thing. :)
× < >