• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2019 5:42 pm
[OP]
Jul 8, 2012
861 posts
186 upvotes
VANCOUVER

Opinion On ASUS Laptop

Not knowledgeable about laptops at all as I'm using an old Lenovo. Was looking at this ASUS model ($650) on Best Buy's website:

Best Buy Link

Specs are as follows:

Display
Screen Size: 15.6 in
Native Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Touchscreen Display: No
Convertible/Hybrid Display: No

Processor
Processor Type: Intel Core i5-8265U
Processor Cores: 4
Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz

Storage & Memory
Solid-State Drive Capacity: 512 GB
RAM Size: 8 GB
RAM: DDR4
Optical Drive: No

Graphics
Graphics Card: Intel HD
Video Memory Configuration: Integrated
VR Ready: No

Inputs & Outputs
Card Reader: Micro SD
USB Ports: 1x USB3.1-Type C(Gen1); 2x USB 2.0; 1x USB3.1 Type A (Gen1)
Display Ports: 1x HDMI
Other Input or Output Ports: 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack

Networking
Integrated Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi 5(802.11ac)
Integrated Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1

Power
Battery Type: 2S1P, 2-cell Li-ion
Battery - Capacity: 37 Wh
ENERGY STAR Qualified: Yes

Software
Pre-loaded Operating System: Windows 10 (64bit)
Operating System Language: Bilingual

Physical Features
Webcam: HD Web Camera
Keyboard Language: Bilingual
Backlit Keyboard: No
Colour: Grey
Dimensions (cm): 35.81 (W) x 1.78 (H) x 23.11 (D) cm
Dimensions (in): 14.1 (W) x 0.7 (H) x 9.1 (D) in
Weight (lbs): 3.7 lb

Warranty
Manufacturer's Warranty - Parts: 1 Year
Manufacturer's Warranty - Labour: 1 Year

I'm using it for the basics, streaming video is as much work as it will get pushed. I know a Chromebook will probably suffice for me for more than half the cost and I might still consider it.

What are the big red flags with this laptop? Is this a deal even or just a little off regular price. I saw the Dell $400 thread but don't have ebates so it wasn't as hot for me.

Your opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by spicytofu on Aug 29th, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6224 posts
1838 upvotes
Markham
Your best buy link doesn't work
[OP]
Jul 8, 2012
861 posts
186 upvotes
VANCOUVER
smartie wrote: Your best buy link doesn't work
Just realized that, thanks!

Fixed
Sep 18, 2018
59 posts
11 upvotes
Ebates/Rakuten signup takes only a couple minutes. Why don't you sign up?
[OP]
Jul 8, 2012
861 posts
186 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Not sure why not. Just never on top of my to do list.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2507 posts
131 upvotes
Burlington
Generally i5 8gb 256 units that are current will run around $599 on sale maybe $549 on a good one (with the rare extreme dell 400 lol). This guy with a 512 at $650 is pretty reasonable tbh. ASUS is generally a good brand name, I've purchased countless laptops from them (mind you gaming rogs) and have had a great go each time. Can you find better, maybe if you wait and hunt and dig for ebates and other perks, or used(?). If you're not into hunting around I'd say its a solid deal and from a large enough company with easy return policy so no draw back if you change your mind in the 14 days.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2012
861 posts
186 upvotes
VANCOUVER
DarkMasterMX wrote: Generally i5 8gb 256 units that are current will run around $599 on sale maybe $549 on a good one (with the rare extreme dell 400 lol). This guy with a 512 at $650 is pretty reasonable tbh. ASUS is generally a good brand name, I've purchased countless laptops from them (mind you gaming rogs) and have had a great go each time. Can you find better, maybe if you wait and hunt and dig for ebates and other perks, or used(?). If you're not into hunting around I'd say its a solid deal and from a large enough company with easy return policy so no draw back if you change your mind in the 14 days.
Really appreciate your opinion based on your thoughts and experience.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1101 posts
235 upvotes
I bought this similar model for my wife last November for $749. https://www.londondrugs.com/asus-vivobo ... 76979.html

She loves it. It is quiet, fast, and has a decent keyboard. No issues so far. The raised hinge works well and it runs really cool, which is great because she uses it mostly on her lap. Wifi range could be better.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2012
861 posts
186 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Philbert wrote: I bought this similar model for my wife last November for $749. https://www.londondrugs.com/asus-vivobo ... 76979.html

She loves it. It is quiet, fast, and has a decent keyboard. No issues so far. The raised hinge works well and it runs really cool, which is great because she uses it mostly on her lap. Wifi range could be better.
It's going to be my laptop for when I want to surf right before I go to sleep and router is nearby. My current Lenovo can't handle two streaming videos without becoming hot and at times, crashing Chrome. Thanks for providing your first hand experience with a similar model.
Aug 5, 2005
447 posts
233 upvotes
The thing I have against Asus they have terrible support and parts
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1101 posts
235 upvotes
spicytofu wrote: It's going to be my laptop for when I want to surf right before I go to sleep and router is nearby. My current Lenovo can't handle two streaming videos without becoming hot and at times, crashing Chrome. Thanks for providing your first hand experience with a similar model.
She always has 10-15 Chrome tabs open, with the laptop on a blanket on her lap, and the fan rarely comes on. I just can’t tell how similar the models are from BB website. Some of the cheaper ASUS models have way more keyboard flex.