Opinion on fair thing to do after I sold a used car

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 8:16 am
[OP]
Mar 24, 2018
22 posts
24 upvotes

Opinion on fair thing to do after I sold a used car

I sold a 2007 BMW 750i with 285,000K on it last week for $4K which was about the right amount according to CarProof. It had a known power steering like and a couple of other minor flaws (turn signal has to be manually turned off, bluetooth doesn't work anymore). I drove the vehicle the day of the sale and it was working fine.

Anyhow the buyer came and inspected the car, test drove it, paid me the money and took the car and registered it.

He is now complaining that the car is leaking oil since he bought it. The car has had 2 oil leaks in the past but they were both repaired and it was not leaking oil when he bought AFAIK. When I looked at where I had the car parked there was no visible oil (other than the power steering fluid which looks quite a bit different). I gave him all the mechanical records to view (which did include the two repairs of car leaks) and then keep after the sale but he didn't really look through them at the time of the sale.

Anyhow, he has been bothering me about it since the deal (done on Oct 31) and has it in the mechanics now and is getting a quote.

What do the people of RFD feel would be the fair thing to do here. I know legally I am not obliged as the car was sold without conditions but I do feel quite bad the car has broken down on him within a week. The car was heavily discounted in some ways compared to purchase price due to mileage and known high cost of repairs for this car so part of me says "them's the breaks" when you buy such a car (N.B. I had to pay $11,500 for a complete engine rebuild within a few months of buying it second hand back in 2013 and didn't bother the owner at all about it).

What says the board:
Should I offer to pay part of the repair (estimate not in yet)
Should I offer to buy back the car for $4K - half of the cost of the repair
Should I do nothing - it's his problem now

Thanks in advance for all who reply. I do want to be fair as seemed like a nice fellow but I got rid of the car for a reason - it's expensive to fix.
61 replies
Aug 18, 2014
494 posts
297 upvotes
Markham, ON
nothing

it is a used car
you gave him all the service record
it is a 11 years old BMW 7 Series with almost 300K...problems are EXPECTED...why else would the car be selling 3% of its original price ($120K?)
you didn't give him any warranty or assurance on the vehicle condition

even morally you did nothing wrong, (assuming you disclosed all the information to him honestly)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5999 posts
996 upvotes
SleepyFunds wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:05 pm
I sold a 2007 BMW 750i with 285,000K on it last week for $4K which was about the right amount according to CarProof. It had a known power steering like and a couple of other minor flaws (turn signal has to be manually turned off, bluetooth doesn't work anymore). I drove the vehicle the day of the sale and it was working fine.

Anyhow the buyer came and inspected the car, test drove it, paid me the money and took the car and registered it.

He is now complaining that the car is leaking oil since he bought it. The car has had 2 oil leaks in the past but they were both repaired and it was not leaking oil when he bought AFAIK. When I looked at where I had the car parked there was no visible oil (other than the power steering fluid which looks quite a bit different). I gave him all the mechanical records to view (which did include the two repairs of car leaks) and then keep after the sale but he didn't really look through them at the time of the sale.

Anyhow, he has been bothering me about it since the deal (done on Oct 31) and has it in the mechanics now and is getting a quote.

What do the people of RFD feel would be the fair thing to do here. I know legally I am not obliged as the car was sold without conditions but I do feel quite bad the car has broken down on him within a week. The car was heavily discounted in some ways compared to purchase price due to mileage and known high cost of repairs for this car so part of me says "them's the breaks" when you buy such a car (N.B. I had to pay $11,500 for a complete engine rebuild within a few months of buying it second hand back in 2013 and didn't bother the owner at all about it).

What says the board:
Should I offer to pay part of the repair (estimate not in yet)
Should I offer to buy back the car for $4K - half of the cost of the repair
Should I do nothing - it's his problem now

Thanks in advance for all who reply. I do want to be fair as seemed like a nice fellow but I got rid of the car for a reason - it's expensive to fix.
These two statements seem to contradict each other. Do you know what the repair estimate is or not?

Regardless, you do nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9436 posts
3818 upvotes
Toronto
Once buyer forks over the cash, it's a done deal. No looking back...his lost for not hiring a mechanic to take a look at it in the first place.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21530 posts
6434 upvotes
Toronto
do nothing. block or ignore calls/emails/texts

your last reminder to be sent to him ... Break My Wallet
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10478 posts
3180 upvotes
Toronto
do nothing, tell him to pound salt.

For all you know he ran over something and hit the oil pan, causing a leak

Buddy was budget balling and it bit him in the ass......no surprise.
Last edited by Swerny on Nov 7th, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5575 posts
3846 upvotes
North York
Talking about fair and legal, you did nothing wrong.
But if you feel bad morally, offer some help, that would ease your mind.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45832 posts
12226 upvotes
If oil is leaking, what kind of repair did the car undergo?

So you are suggesting power steering fluid might be the one leaking?

I don't think he has any recourse but if he did ask you about the issues, then not disclosing them may have pissed him off.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2018
22 posts
24 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:44 pm
If oil is leaking, what kind of repair did the car undergo?

So you are suggesting power steering fluid might be the one leaking?

I don't think he has any recourse but if he did ask you about the issues, then not disclosing them may have pissed him off.
The car had a repair for leaking oil pump in the summer. There were also leaking gaskets that were fixed in summer of 2017.

As far as I knew there was no active engine oil leak, only a power steering fluid leak which was pointed out and accepted at time of sale.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2018
22 posts
24 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:17 pm
These two statements seem to contradict each other. Do you know what the repair estimate is or not?

Regardless, you do nothing.
No estimate in yet but the car is at the BMW mechanic today for an assessment and should have an estimate for repair by the end of the day.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45832 posts
12226 upvotes
SleepyFunds wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:46 pm
The car had a repair for leaking oil pump in the summer. There were also leaking gaskets that were fixed in summer of 2017.

As far as I knew there was no active engine oil leak, only a power steering fluid leak which was pointed out and accepted at time of sale.
Wouldn't your mechanic provide some warranty on their work, especially since it's only been around 14-15 months since the job was done?

Maybe it would be cheaper for your mechanic to take this repair job on but I'm really not sure.

You sound like a very honest seller and hopefully the repair cost isn't much that you can absorb part of it.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3253 posts
2989 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tell him to go to a site called "redflagdeals" and start a new thread:

"I bought a $4000 heap of junk German metal and now regretting it, help!"
[OP]
Mar 24, 2018
22 posts
24 upvotes
er34er34 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:51 pm
Tell him to go to a site called "redflagdeals" and start a new thread:

"I bought a $4000 heap of junk German metal and now regretting it, help!"
Too true.

Anyhow, I tried to give the facts as I know them and wanted to know how others would handle the situation.

The board concensus seems to be do nothing but I may chip in a bit for his car repair nevertheless.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8539 posts
538 upvotes
SK
Just sold a car recently as well, in the paper work the words "SOLD AS IS" are in bold and capital letters. He asked me if anything is wrong with it, and I said as far as I am aware everything is good. But Im not a mechanic, just showed him maintenance log book. He test drove it, did his tests, etc. If he wanted to take it for an inspection he could of, but he didnt.

He gave me the cash, and we moved on. That was about 3 weeks ago. if he does contact me over something, its not my problem and as well, I have no idea what he has done those 3 weeks as well.

Buying used is always as is.

As for bad morally, Ive been F-ed over enough in my life to stop feeling bad morally, as when I had things happen to me becaue of peoples dishonesty, they never felt bad morally and just kept my money.
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Nov 7th, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2018
22 posts
24 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:49 pm
Wouldn't your mechanic provide some warranty on their work, especially since it's only been around 14-15 months since the job was done?

Maybe it would be cheaper for your mechanic to take this repair job on but I'm really not sure.

You sound like a very honest seller and hopefully the repair cost isn't much that you can absorb part of it.
He claims the mechanic won't honour the prior repair and fix it.

He did tell me that the leak is definitely related to a prior fix that had been done in the past at that mechanic within the last 1.5 years.