Opinion on fair thing to do after I sold a used car

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 8:16 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27573 posts
13499 upvotes
Ottawa
Buy him a Tim's giftcard for the inconvenience and call it a day.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9976 posts
2329 upvotes
Markham
Agree with everyone. The guy is buying a 90k car at $4000 with 280000+KM on it. He expect the car to last, reliable and repair free?

He inspected the car and agrees to buy it. He should have bring the car to get it check out. Now there are repairs to do. Basically, suck it and do your homework next time when buying a used car.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9976 posts
2329 upvotes
Markham
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 2:00 pm
Buy him a Tim's giftcard for the inconvenience and call it a day.
Really? If he shows up at your front door. I would give him the left over Halloween candies at the most.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
11439 posts
1187 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
SleepyFunds wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:57 pm
He claims the mechanic won't honour the prior repair and fix it.

He did tell me that the leak is definitely related to a prior fix that had been done in the past at that mechanic within the last 1.5 years.
That you told him about. Really its not your fault he took the car after you told him

Maybe if you told him nothing that would be different.

Buyer is trying to get out of a bad decision he made. Its life.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4340 posts
1238 upvotes
Debtario
Do nothing, he got a fair deal and you're not responsible for a buyer's unrealistic expectations. Any car with that mileage will have issues, let alone a German luxury car.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6692 posts
1435 upvotes
He could have / should have had it checked out by his mechanic before buying it. That would have possibly identified the impending issue coming. He didn't.

I know you feel bad, but you are not a mechanic. You told him all you knew, and didn't hide anything. The rest is on him.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3863 posts
4019 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Oil leak on a $4000 12 year old German luxury sedan, whoopty-doo..... this guy is in for a serious wake up slap when he's stranded on the side of 401 with something more catastrophic.

Hand him a box of Kleenex and be done with it.
Mar 7, 2017
637 posts
247 upvotes
Ham, ON
booblehead wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:23 pm
do nothing. block or ignore calls/emails/texts

your last reminder to be sent to him ... Break My Wallet
I thought it stood for Buy More Warranty
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10683 posts
9862 upvotes
Oakville
OP, you are morally obligated not to help him out. If you help him out, you are not teaching him valuable life lessons. He's trying to take advantage of you because you sound like a nice guy. He'll just keep doing the same thing to all of the nice people he deals with.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3863 posts
4019 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DealFixation wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 2:33 pm
I thought it stood for Buy More Warranty
In this case, it's:

"Bring More Wipes" --- for cleaning the leaked oil off the driveway and wiping tears off his face
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13112 posts
1766 upvotes
Toronto
Buyer should have got the vehicle inspected prior to purchasing it. If he didn't, the car is his and if he has buyers remorse tough noughie!

If he keeps bothering you, tell him you can charge him for harassment. Bottom line is some cheap@ss wants to drive a BMW and wants a 11 year old vehicle with mileage problem free. Not gonna happen.

I would not give him a cent. If you do that, he will come after you for something else. In the eyes of the law, they will say that you paid because you were aware of issues and didn't disclose it. Leave the guy to deal with the issues.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1578 posts
243 upvotes
MB
MP3_SKY wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 2:06 pm
Agree with everyone. The guy is buying a 90k car at $4000 with 280000+KM on it. He expect the car to last, reliable and repair free?

He inspected the car and agrees to buy it. He should have bring the car to get it check out. Now there are repairs to do. Basically, suck it and do your homework next time when buying a used car.
Exactly
It’s not a Toyota, mere BMW.
Sig removed due to rule violations
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12007 posts
2464 upvotes
RFD
You should not have to do anything as you were up front with everything. And yes buying a German vehicle with that mileage is always a bad idea.

The only thing that stinks in this case, and I'm sure you're likely somewhat worried about as well, is that the buyer knows where you live and if they are troublemakers, can create problems for you.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24328 posts
4617 upvotes
Send the guy a link to this, which will explain to him all about the Bangled car he bought lol:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6049 posts
727 upvotes
Greely
I bought a 2007 Audi this spring. I had 2 oil leaks in the first month of ownership, and a CEL and EPC light. Ended up replacing sensors, gaskets, oil pressure valves and fuel injectors. It wasn’t cheap.

Did I contact the seller? No. Why? Because I bought an 11 year old car.

Coming from someone on the other side of this, I wouldn’t give him a dime.