• Nov 9th, 2018 8:16 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9563 posts
2071 upvotes
Markham
steve-0101 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 10:14 pm
I bought a 2007 Audi this spring. I had 2 oil leaks in the first month of ownership, and a CEL and EPC light. Ended up replacing sensors, gaskets, oil pressure valves and fuel injectors. It wasn’t cheap.

Did I contact the seller? No. Why? Because I bought an 11 year old car.

Coming from someone on the other side of this, I wouldn’t give him a dime.
Did you regret getting it? You probably spent 1 k or 2 on those repairs upon your first 6 months of ownership plus not sure how much more to spend on to keep the car on the road.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Mar 24, 2018
22 posts
24 upvotes
A quick update on the situation.

He told me that the repair has been estimated at $1500.

The car did have 2 oil leaks in the past 1.5 years - one that cost $900 to fix and one that cost about $2000 to fix. The cost seems inline with what I paid before for a similar issue.

I have gone over it in my mind and I have to conclude the leak is new since there was no evidence of it when it was parked in my garage and he did specifically look under at and at the known leak. He backed up out of the spot and had a good look at the area where it leaked. Afterwards they loaded the winter tires out of my empty garage and for sure got a good look at what the nature of the leak was on my garage pad.

I think with clear conscience I can say it was just a coincidence that the leak started a few days after he bought it. It had happened to me twice in the last year after all. It just starts leaking all of a sudden and needs to be fixed or it gets worse and worse.

As far as him causing trouble, I don't think he would. He runs a restaurant in town and seems like a decent enough guy. He actually hasn't exactly demanded anything of me although the tone suggests he thinks I should pick up some of the cost of the repair.

I'll mull it over night but am leaning towards not paying anything towards the repair.
Jul 19, 2010
438 posts
96 upvotes
Calgary
if you feel bad, I would give him max $250 and call it a day.. It's a used car, Buyer beware.. also is it a "drip"? or is gushing oil?
[OP]
Mar 24, 2018
22 posts
24 upvotes
drtmrcht wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:24 pm
if you feel bad, I would give him max $250 and call it a day.. It's a used car, Buyer beware.. also is it a "drip"? or is gushing oil?
He claims the leak is quite aggressive.

The car was leaking really badly about 1.5 years ago - that's the $2000 repair done in spring 2017 I think (he has the receipts for the mech work).

I do remember that with both of the leaks once they started they seem to progress quite fast for whatever reason.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3477 posts
900 upvotes
Edmonton
Crazy what people will do.... We just sold our used car, but they had it inspected. But I make it very clear when they're signing that blll of sale that this is AS IS. I show them any issues to the best of my knowledge, but I am not a mechanic and if something goes wrong after the sale,it's not my problem.

They want a warranty and such, then go to a dealer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9563 posts
2071 upvotes
Markham
drtmrcht wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:24 pm
At this point, it is not about the money, If OP is giving him back the money, means that he is responsible for the repair.
Buying a used car is not the same as choosing a brand new car at the dealership, buyer have to do his homework, bring the car for an inspection and make sure he is comfortable before making the purchase (especially it is a private sale)

Buyer is 100% responsible for the repair of his own car or list it to sell it off on his own.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jun 13, 2009
941 posts
179 upvotes
Do you think he's trying to do this to get money back? How many km's has the buyer driven since purchase?

If it's legit, I'd feel bad too and prob give $200. No big deal if you give nothing given you disclosed everything and that this is supposedly a new leak..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5320 posts
1521 upvotes
Space
If you give him anything you’re admitting fault. That could lead to lawsuits and further headache. It’s an 11 year old vehicle wth almost 300k km. Let the guy know that it’s an older vehicle and that it’s unfortunate that something broke but he’s going to have to fix it on his dime. End of discussion. I wouldn’t waste anymore time on this.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2765 posts
1184 upvotes
Everywhere
As the second poster system, nothing.

This thread shouldn't even exist.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39858 posts
3922 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
SleepyFunds wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:19 pm
A quick update on the situation.

He told me that the repair has been estimated at $1500.

The car did have 2 oil leaks in the past 1.5 years - one that cost $900 to fix and one that cost about $2000 to fix. The cost seems inline with what I paid before for a similar issue.

I have gone over it in my mind and I have to conclude the leak is new since there was no evidence of it when it was parked in my garage and he did specifically look under at and at the known leak. He backed up out of the spot and had a good look at the area where it leaked. Afterwards they loaded the winter tires out of my empty garage and for sure got a good look at what the nature of the leak was on my garage pad.

I think with clear conscience I can say it was just a coincidence that the leak started a few days after he bought it. It had happened to me twice in the last year after all. It just starts leaking all of a sudden and needs to be fixed or it gets worse and worse.

As far as him causing trouble, I don't think he would. He runs a restaurant in town and seems like a decent enough guy. He actually hasn't exactly demanded anything of me although the tone suggests he thinks I should pick up some of the cost of the repair.

I'll mull it over night but am leaning towards not paying anything towards the repair.
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:57 pm
Send the guy a link to this, which will explain to him all about the Bangled car he bought lol:
dont gove anything!

The youtube vid is a great idea :)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
48076 posts
13779 upvotes
He can write off the repair but OP likely can't.

If a deal appears to be too good to be true, there will likely be negative surprises.

Good thing BMW will come up with 12 BEVs by 2025.

If you eat at his resto and didn't like the food and service, would he allow you to skip paying for them?
Aeroplan Miles Points for Sale -- only 1.5 cents per mile
aeroplan-miles-points-sale-only-1-5-cen ... #p30504516
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1268 posts
328 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:49 pm
Wouldn't your mechanic provide some warranty on their work, especially since it's only been around 14-15 months since the job was done?

Maybe it would be cheaper for your mechanic to take this repair job on but I'm really not sure.

You sound like a very honest seller and hopefully the repair cost isn't much that you can absorb part of it.
Are you kidding??? Which repair shop is so generous?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7990 posts
4951 upvotes
Markham
I’d say that spending 4K on a BMW 7 series and then only spending 1.2k to fix her up is still a bargain.

What is this guy gonna do? Call you up every time an 11 year old German luxury car has a problem? Boy you better have unlimited Canada wide calling on your phone plan then.

I highly hope OP just tells this guy to pound sand.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1268 posts
328 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:05 am
Most I dealt with offer one year warranty.

Where do you live, on Venus?
What work do they provide one year warranty? Brakes??? Suspensions????