• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 8:16 am
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
48683 posts
14263 upvotes
Bb0231 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:31 am
What work do they provide one year warranty? Brakes??? Suspensions????
TLex had that on its invoice.

Obviously warranty on workmanship. If you don't apply the brake for one year and some issue come up, that one year warranty will kick in.

Please do your own homework instead of asking to be spoon fed. Give each of the shop a call to confirm.
Aeroplan Miles Points for Sale -- only 1.5 cents per mile
aeroplan-miles-points-sale-only-1-5-cen ... #p30504516
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1551 posts
408 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:36 am
TLex had that on its invoice.

Obviously warranty on workmanship. If you don't apply the brake for one year and some issue come up, that one year warranty will kick in.

Please do your own homework instead of asking to be spoon fed. Give each of the shop a call to confirm.
To find out from the invoice is no different from reading allergies alert after you finished the meal, or trying to get back the car after it was towed by questionable tow truck drivers to their "buddy's" body shops.
Still I'm waiting your advice for repair shops that offer 15 month warranty.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1021 posts
779 upvotes
GTA
SleepyFunds wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:19 pm
A quick update on the situation.

He told me that the repair has been estimated at $1500.

The car did have 2 oil leaks in the past 1.5 years - one that cost $900 to fix and one that cost about $2000 to fix. The cost seems inline with what I paid before for a similar issue.

I have gone over it in my mind and I have to conclude the leak is new since there was no evidence of it when it was parked in my garage and he did specifically look under at and at the known leak. He backed up out of the spot and had a good look at the area where it leaked. Afterwards they loaded the winter tires out of my empty garage and for sure got a good look at what the nature of the leak was on my garage pad.

I think with clear conscience I can say it was just a coincidence that the leak started a few days after he bought it. It had happened to me twice in the last year after all. It just starts leaking all of a sudden and needs to be fixed or it gets worse and worse.

As far as him causing trouble, I don't think he would. He runs a restaurant in town and seems like a decent enough guy. He actually hasn't exactly demanded anything of me although the tone suggests he thinks I should pick up some of the cost of the repair.

I'll mull it over night but am leaning towards not paying anything towards the repair.
You are a true gentleman and a saint for even considering it.

Once upon a time I would have considered it (and have done similar). I learned that each and every time it has just opened the door to more issues and preying on a soft hand.

Sadly, I no longer offer the other individual(s) the benefit of the doubt.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10362 posts
4996 upvotes
Toronto
$4000 bucks for A Beemer....what did they expect?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Mar 24, 2018
22 posts
24 upvotes
Anyhow the guy escalated things today and have told him to buzz off.

I was considering giving him some money but his attitude turned me off.

He can go the legal route if he wants anything from me.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1030 posts
267 upvotes
Dartmouth
SleepyFunds wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 2:18 pm

Glad you held off on giving him any $ . His attitude is pretty solid evidence that h likley would not have appreciated what you may have offered. He feels like he’s owed “something” which he clearly isn’t .

It’s funny that someone who buys an old car that was heavily discounted based on disclosed past issues would feel they dererve $ when issues (which are expected) crop up. Everyone knows and expects this car would require more $ and the OP discounted it to take it into account. If after 2 years the buyer got really lucky and had no further issues would he contact the seller and offer to give him some of that discount back? After all he didn’t have to pay out any $ that he expected to.

You buy it you own it.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20955 posts
10299 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
lol @ buyer trying to use OP as a warranty service

OP, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Feb 25, 2015
976 posts
335 upvotes
York Region
Good on you OP. He was trying to take advantage of a nice guy.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8043 posts
5154 upvotes
Markham
OP even considering this makes him an angel.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1021 posts
779 upvotes
GTA
georgecantstandya wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:56 pm
... I learned that each and every time it has just opened the door to more issues and preying on a soft hand.
SleepyFunds wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 2:18 pm

Predictable behaviour.

Glad you told him to bugger off.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2018
22 posts
24 upvotes
Further update:

He told me he was going to come over and return the car and demand his money back.

I told him to buzz off and further contact with me would be considered harassment and forwarded to the police.

He hasn't come over thankfully.

Anyhow, thanks to the board for their words of encouragement. If I paid him once I suspect he'd keep coming back everytime anything happened to the car which would mean about every 4 months based on recent history.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23853 posts
4167 upvotes
SleepyFunds wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:29 pm
Further update:

He told me he was going to come over and return the car and demand his money back.

I told him to buzz off and further contact with me would be considered harassment and forwarded to the police.

He hasn't come over thankfully.
What a douche. Definitely avoid completely from now on (do NOT engage in any further conversation, block#, etc.) and call police if he comes near your place.

Idiots like this guy don't realise that if you buy a car that originally cost $100k, even though it is $4k now, that doens't mean the cost to repair it isn't still like fixing...a $100k vehicle. Not to mention failing to realise there's a reason why a car that cost so much when new costs so little today. Classic cases of buyer's remorse and someone not understanding that just because you can afford to pay for what a car like this sells for, doesn't mean you can afford to own it.

If the guy really does own a restaurant I'd imagine with this level of intelligence, the financial condition of his business is similar to that seen on shows like "Kitchen Nightmares".
[OP]
Mar 24, 2018
22 posts
24 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:41 pm
What a douche. Definitely avoid completely from now on (do NOT engage in any further conversation, block#, etc.) and call police if he comes near your place.

Idiots like this guy don't realise that if you buy a car that originally cost $100k, even though it is $4k now, that doens't mean the cost to repair it isn't still like fixing...a $100k vehicle. Not to mention failing to realise there's a reason why a car that cost so much when new costs so little today. Classic cases of buyer's remorse and someone not understanding that just because you can afford to pay for what a car like this sells for, doesn't mean you can afford to own it.

If the guy really does own a restaurant I'd imagine with this level of intelligence, the financial condition of his business is similar to that seen on shows like "Kitchen Nightmares".
That's kind of what happened.

First he was sending me a lot of notes through the Facebook messenger app as the car was listed through the Facebook buy & sell (or whatever it is called). I told him to buzz off and closed the group.

Then he tried calling me but I didn't answer as I figured it was him and had nothing more to say to him.

Then he tried texting me and I told him to buzz off and further contact would be viewed as harassment. I then blocked his number and let my wife know not to answer the door from anyone fitting his description.

Pushy little bugger.
Jan 13, 2007
339 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
SleepyFunds, you deserve a round of applause from all of us for trying to do the sensible thing without being a pushover. As difficult as it may be to put your foot down, it is the right thing to do.

When selling a vehicle "as is", I always ensure that the buyer has inspected everything as best as they could. I try to be upfront with everything but reiterate that I can not guarantee the condition of the vehicle beyond today's date. Most buyers are very understanding and acknowledge this.

In my honest opinion $4,000 for a 2007 750i, plus $1,500 to address the oil leak, is still not a bad deal for a flagship luxury sedan.