Food & Drink

Opinion on restaurants with tipping % options on 15/20/25% instead of 10/15/20%?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 8:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6320 posts
1455 upvotes
I think it's a bit pointless to speculate how downtrodden the servers are, or to generalize how much "everyone" should tip. I do think some degree of tipping is an expectation, though, when you dine out, and you'd be kind of a jerk to not tip unless the service was horrendous.

A lot of young people these days do have wealthier families in terms of assets--and they may be taking on server or other cash jobs, with tips, as a means to make some money and skip the tax exposure. If someone works in a more upscale restaurant, or one that has a ton of traffic from richer patrons, the pay is not horrible.

As for the habitual tip complainers that pack RFD, and seem to want their shoes shined and butts kissed in order to feel like tips are ever justified...I keep saying: So order take-out and STFU. If $$$ is your top priority and you hate the social expectation of tipping while dining in North American restaurants, this option is frequently available.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13061 posts
3284 upvotes
Here 'n There
peanutz wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 3:45 pm
I think it's a bit pointless to speculate how downtrodden the servers are, or to generalize how much "everyone" should tip. I do think some degree of tipping is an expectation, though, when you dine out, and you'd be kind of a jerk to not tip unless the service was horrendous.

A lot of young people these days do have wealthier families in terms of assets--and they may be taking on server or other cash jobs, with tips, as a means to make some money and skip the tax exposure. If someone works in a more upscale restaurant, or one that has a ton of traffic from richer patrons, the pay is not horrible.

As for the habitual tip complainers that pack RFD, and seem to want their shoes shined and butts kissed in order to feel like tips are ever justified...I keep saying: So order take-out and STFU. If $$$ is your top priority and you hate the social expectation of tipping while dining in North American restaurants, this option is frequently available.
Whoa, hold your horses. Just because many people think 20%+ tips, and after tax at at that, is ridiculous doesn't mean that they want their shoes shined and butts kissed. Having an opinion that 15% is more reasonable does not mean the only choice is a binary take out meal. I have no problem with the social expectation of tipping and almost often tip 15% pre-tax but the service is hardly up to par I find these days except in high end restaurants.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1440 posts
764 upvotes
IceBlueShoes wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 6:45 am
Bigger tables are NOT less work...
Take a table of 10, no server is going to be able to take out 10 main dishes on their own, let alone clear a table of 10 solo.
Okay, but its easier to deal with 1 table of 10, for instance, than 5 tables of 2, or some mixture of tables for 3, 2, and solos. Easier to set, easier to clean. Its less work overall.
Trying to get the attention of a large party is next to impossible, granted you may only need to ask 2x how things are, but it's certainly not less work. For example, people have all sorts of (alleged) allergies that need to be taken into account.
And this doesn't occur with singles tables? Not a good argument for service "costing" more for large tables. The principle, of a bulk discount for the economy of scale achieved by having a large group, continues to apply here. The expectation that larger tables will have a higher percentage tip is boorish.
Things are even nuttier (along w/ the guests in most cases) when you get into fine dining.
Ideally servers have help (server assistants) and those are the ones that just carry food and remove your plates.
How the restaurant divides its labour is of no concern to the customer, and a fancier division of labour certainly doesn't demand a higher tip. If anything, such division of labour allows for more efficiency and should be for a less tip.
I wonder how many people here have actually worked in a restaurant. Having said that though, I do wish tipping was done away with. Just increase the prices and let's be done w/ it...
Prices are already increased. Servers exist in a consensual and free market, where they can go to other jobs for which the compensation may be better, if they are unhappy with their compensation. Take-out is often discounted over menu prices to reflect the fact that there is no in-restaurant service that goes along with it, but not fully discounted to take into account the cost of the containers for the food.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6320 posts
1455 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 5:57 pm
Whoa, hold your horses. Just because many people think 20%+ tips, and after tax at at that, is ridiculous doesn't mean that they want their shoes shined and butts kissed. Having an opinion that 15% is more reasonable does not mean the only choice is a binary take out meal. I have no problem with the social expectation of tipping and almost often tip 15% pre-tax but the service is hardly up to par I find these days except in high end restaurants.
I didn't mean you. I myself posted that I tip 13% give or take rounding.

I meant the people who say they tip $0 unless the service is amazing.

In a better system, the managers would consistently pay their staff better, increase menu prices and eliminate tipping. But rarely are the $0 tip standards ever asking for that, either. They typically want cheap food and no tipping.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7470 posts
1160 upvotes
DuDe1411 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 10:57 pm
if you can afford a 1500 phone you definitely can tip at 20%!
lucky me, i cant, so i wont.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3673 posts
1387 upvotes
If you want to pay less tips, go to a Chinese restaurant, where 10% before tax is the norm. 15% elsewhere is the norm, not 20%. 20% is the American accepted standard.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1440 posts
764 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:00 pm
20% is the American accepted standard.
According to whom? The problem here is that someone, who obviously worked in the restaurant industry previously, just made up a number.

I'll say this again, it is the responsibility of the owner of the establishment to pay the employees a wage that retains them. It is not my job as a customer to do that.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7064 posts
4553 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
badOne wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:00 pm
If you want to pay less tips, go to a Chinese restaurant, where 10% before tax is the norm. 15% elsewhere is the norm, not 20%. 20% is the American accepted standard.
Unless its a buffet, I don't understand WHY in your thought process you think that Chinese Restaurants should be treated differently when it comes to tipping.

Buffets, I "somewhat" understand as the Customer is fetching the food for themselves.

But then again a well run Buffet Restaurant, and the service is even more important IMO... Water glasses filled - Plates cleared - Cutlery Replacements - PLUS Keeping the buffet stocked (it seriously sucks when you get up and go for food only to find things you'd ideally want gone / empty).

Doing it right is a non stop process for a Server assigned to a section. In a buffet scenario it's more a case of the Customer driving the service delivery schedule vs a traditional setting where the Server determines when dishes are ordered, served, cleared.
Oct 9, 2017
138 posts
Mississauga
Tipping culture is annoying. Like if you order Swiss Chalet, they charge you a 3 dollar delivery fee plus you are expected to tip the delivery person. It adds a lot of cost. I hate tipping. Most of my jobs have been minimum wage where I was tipped nothing and had to bend over backwards for customers at every turn. I worked at said Swiss Chalet once and the waiters have the easiest job and make the most money. My cousin also worked at Swiss and had bags full of tips sitting at home. I don't feel bad for waiters, yes they are on their feet but so is the rest of the staff at any given restaurant.

i waited tables once at Swiss Chalet and made like 40 bucks on a few tables. It is good money if you work full time waiting tables.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3903 posts
204 upvotes
If min wage is going up, why does everyone still need to tip so much?
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6145 posts
1010 upvotes
DuDe1411 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 10:57 pm
if you can afford a 1500 phone you definitely can tip at 20%!
More like.. I tip 10% so I can afford a 1500 phone
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1510 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
No it isn't my responsibility as a patron to bridge the gap between minimum wage and some arbitrary number the government says is a living wage for the server. The author is delusional, and her article is self-serving, and self-righteous. The way she writes, she should be tipping 30% or even 50%. Hell give the server her entire paycheck. She wants to be an over-tipping warrior let it be on her own dime. Where does it end and what right does she have to tell anyone that the standard must be 20%? Why not 25%? why not 30%?

I am not against anyone making a "living wage" but unless I'm the direct employer it is hardly my responsibility as a patron to provide that for them. The bottom line is that I do tip and my scale goes from 10% for mediocre service to 15% for good service and 20% is for exceptional service. The bulk of my tipping is in the 15% pretax range. Sometimes I get looks from the server when I don't automatically hit 15%-20% on the machine and instead choose the $ button. Frankly they can guilt me all the want. You're getting something and should be grateful. The alternative is you get nothing. Pick your poison, sweetie.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
2891 posts
232 upvotes
Mississauga
I give 10% regardless if the service is bad or good. I know you're technically not obligated to give anything, but that just seems cruel to me when someone else is serving you food.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5408 posts
2196 upvotes
ephemera wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:51 pm
If min wage is going up, why does everyone still need to tip so much?
Thank you. You're about the first person that has made the correlation.