Food & Drink

Opinion on restaurants with tipping % options on 15/20/25% instead of 10/15/20%?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 8:40 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13060 posts
3284 upvotes
Here 'n There
gqbluez wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:21 pm
No it isn't my responsibility as a patron to bridge the gap between minimum wage and some arbitrary number the government says is a living wage for the server. The author is delusional, and her article is self-serving, and self-righteous. The way she writes, she should be tipping 30% or even 50%. Hell give the server her entire paycheck. She wants to be an over-tipping warrior let it be on her own dime. Where does it end and what right does she have to tell anyone that the standard must be 20%? Why not 25%? why not 30%?

I am not against anyone making a "living wage" but unless I'm the direct employer it is hardly my responsibility as a patron to provide that for them. The bottom line is that I do tip and my scale goes from 10% for mediocre service to 15% for good service and 20% is for exceptional service. The bulk of my tipping is in the 15% pretax range. Sometimes I get looks from the server when I don't automatically hit 15%-20% on the machine and instead choose the $ button. Frankly they can guilt me all the want. You're getting something and should be grateful. The alternative is you get nothing. Pick your poison, sweetie.
Yeah, her logic don't make sense. The economic climate has not shifted drastically such that a 33% increase in the average tip from 15% to 20% is justified, never mind the fact that tipping before tax is the only arrangement that is justified since tipping the government's take is totally nonsensical. If anything the % should go down to 10% pre-tax given the decline in service I see from serving staff in most restaurants these days unless I am going to a real high-end expensive place.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11434 posts
1488 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
webdoctors wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 11:20 pm
I'm similar (15 in Canada, 20 in USA but its before tax). In USA they need to buy their own health insurance.
Unless you have a crappy job you buy insurance here to top it up. See all those premium deductions from your paycheck... yea, must be free in Canada. *side eye*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6432 posts
2478 upvotes
ON
Zero Hope wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 11:39 am
In most Chinese restaurants in Toronto, I don't tip because the service is absolutely garbage.

Was at Kaka this past Saturday with a table of 8. Waited over 1 hour for our order of sashimi to arrive and I followed up on this 4 times with the server. We arrived at 6:00pm and at 7:15pm the server said it was last call for our table, clearly wanting us to leave so they can get the next customers lined up into our seats.

Argued with the manager at the end and she removed the 15% tip that was automatically added to our bill.
A restaurant named Kaka ? FFS....
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11434 posts
1488 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
dilligafeh wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:10 pm
A restaurant named Kaka ? FFS....
Wiki: Kakka (閣下?), japanese. Means "Your Excellency", and is used for heads of state (except those addressed by Heika or Denka), heads of government including the Prime Minister of Japan, cabinet ministers, ambassadors and other high-rank officials such as the Secretary-General of the United Nations. It can be used by itself or attached to a specific title.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9288 posts
985 upvotes
Toronto
pizza11 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 7:35 pm
i tip 15% on total after tax in Canada and 20% in the States. I was told 15% tip in the States is below norm.
I just do 15% here.

Last night I went out for dinner, waitress told me to pick x over y as x was really good, it came and was probably the WORST meal I’ve ever had in recent years, girlfriends meal wasn’t so good either. Manager couldn’t care any less and gave no apology, then the waitress turned into a total b—- and took forever to bring our bill. Tip was not left. To be fair I wouldn’t have said anything and instead just never gone back but a friend flagged the guy down and says “he has something to say about the food”....

What I hate more are places that auto add a tip of 18% then expect you to tip on top of that. Not happening and I mostly avoid those places now.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3673 posts
1387 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:21 pm
Unless its a buffet, I don't understand WHY in your thought process you think that Chinese Restaurants should be treated differently when it comes to tipping.
It's always been this way. Way back I guess it was set in the minds of everyone that tips is an afterthought, and people go to a Chinese restaurant for cheap food.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11604 posts
1871 upvotes
Markham
I remember when we used to have a thing called starter jobs but now apparently every job has to be enough to live in Toronto on.

I typically tip around 15%, a bit more if they bill is small...i.e. Order a drink for $8.20 I'll just leave a 10...but I'm getting sick of this movement for 18 and now 20% "standard" tips on higher food and drink prices on top of minimum wage going up 30%+

At a certain point I'm just going to go out to eat far less. Not because I can't afford it but because I think it is becoming terrible value.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7058 posts
4045 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:43 pm
I just do 15% here.

Last night I went out for dinner, waitress told me to pick x over y as x was really good, it came and was probably the WORST meal I’ve ever had in recent years, girlfriends meal wasn’t so good either. Manager couldn’t care any less and gave no apology, then the waitress turned into a total b—- and took forever to bring our bill. Tip was not left. To be fair I wouldn’t have said anything and instead just never gone back but a friend flagged the guy down and says “he has something to say about the food”....

What I hate more are places that auto add a tip of 18% then expect you to tip on top of that. Not happening and I mostly avoid those places now.
So you took a recommendation and didn't like the food so you complain? Man people are a bunch of whiners. Everyone has different tastes, she just said she liked that more doesn't mean you would. And she doesn't cook the food so again why you angry at her?

I'm not the biggest tipping fan but not tipping on a recommendation instead of service is lame.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7058 posts
4045 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 1:35 pm
I remember when we used to have a thing called starter jobs but now apparently every job has to be enough to live in Toronto on.

I typically tip around 15%, a bit more if they bill is small...i.e. Order a drink for $8.20 I'll just leave a 10...but I'm getting sick of this movement for 18 and now 20% "standard" tips on higher food and drink prices on top of minimum wage going up 30%+

At a certain point I'm just going to go out to eat far less. Not because I can't afford it but because I think it is becoming terrible value.
Eating at home is way better any ways.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7064 posts
4553 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Conquistador wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 11:33 pm
Thank you. You're about the first person that has made the correlation.
I have made that correlation as well (in past tipping topics)... Being totally in favour of both an across the board Minimum Wage (get rid of Service Minium Wage) and moving towards a Living Wage based on real facts.

Studies say that a real living wage, means that Minimum needs to move up to to that $ 15 mark... And possibly be adjusted slightly from there for areas of the country where the cost of living is notoriously higher due to housing (ie The GTA / GVA)

Once Minimum reflects a true living wage (ie you work 40 Hours a Week) and you make enough to support yourself with the basics (shelter - utilities - food - public transit). I don't see why anyone needs to be tipping out at 15% or 20% when the employee just got a 20% OR MORE INCREASE IN SALARY c/o Provincial Legislation... More so, when stats are now proving out that a very high number of Service Personnel don't declare most or ANY TIPS (so income they up until now have not been taxed on)

I'm sorry... But the rest of us pay taxes on our incomes, and use our hard earned after tax dollars to dine out, only to leave the huge tips for what ?

Ya not happening for me anyways after the Living Wage comes about.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9288 posts
985 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:06 pm
So you took a recommendation and didn't like the food so you complain? Man people are a bunch of whiners. Everyone has different tastes, she just said she liked that more doesn't mean you would. And she doesn't cook the food so again why you angry at her?

I'm not the biggest tipping fan but not tipping on a recommendation instead of service is lame.
When I said it wasn’t that good (I’ve had this dish at many other places and it was really good, very poorly done at this place). I voiced my opinion when she asked how everything was and right after that she turned into a total bitch, no apology, manager didn’t care at all. That’s why no tip was left.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7064 posts
4553 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:00 pm
Unless you have a crappy job you buy insurance here to top it up. See all those premium deductions from your paycheck... yea, must be free in Canada. *side eye*
And what does that Employment Medical Insurance cover exactly ?

I think you will find it covers a whole bunch of "extras" that are not always deemed to be on the same level of need of care as the health care you receive thru Provincial Medical Coverage.

Stuff like... Dental, Vision, Hearing, Medical Devices, Ambulance Services, Prescriptions, Optional Physiotheraphy, Extended Mental Health Counselling, Extended At Home Nursing Care, Travel Insurance, Semi Private & Private Hospital Rooms etc*

Not that none of these things aren't nice, or even necessary in some instances, but they truly CANNOT BE COMPARED apples to apples for what the Provincial Medical Programs cover, or to how the US Medical System is set up.

* An individual or young family, may only tap into the Dental, Vision and Prescription needs... So the thought that tge value s poor. But as one ages, and over the course of employment the rest of that list can kick in, and then the added value can be really seen. What ya need in your 20s can be a far cry from what you need in your 50s and beyond.

And BTW, most of the above items, when not covered by Private Insurance Coverage thru work, ARE ELIGIBLE for some relief in costing via one's tax return (ya know like that poor schmuck who you were condescending to who has "a crappy job") :rolleyes:
Last edited by PointsHubby on Nov 4th, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6432 posts
2478 upvotes
ON
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:15 pm
Wiki: Kakka (閣下?), japanese. Means "Your Excellency", and is used for heads of state (except those addressed by Heika or Denka), heads of government including the Prime Minister of Japan, cabinet ministers, ambassadors and other high-rank officials such as the Secretary-General of the United Nations. It can be used by itself or attached to a specific title.
It works there maybe, but here ....well let's just say it doesn't translate well. Also his spelling suggested otherwise.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7064 posts
4553 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
badOne wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:50 pm
It's always been this way. Way back I guess it was set in the minds of everyone that tips is an afterthought, and people go to a Chinese restaurant for cheap food.
Maybe where you live... But certainly not EVERYWHERE or ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY

Think it is more a case of someone has led you to beleve this is some how ok, and to justify it as "it is only Chinese"

Makes no sense to me

And Chinese inexpensive... Sorry I don't buy that argument either. Fast food is cheap. Chinese Food (NA Chinese or Chinatown Authentic Chinese) served in a sit down setting ranks right up there with any other meal eaten out IMO