Food & Drink

Opinion on restaurants with tipping % options on 15/20/25% instead of 10/15/20%?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 8:40 pm
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:38 pm
Maybe where you live... But certainly not EVERYWHERE or ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY

Think it is more a case of someone has led you to beleve this is some how ok, and to justify it as "it is only Chinese"

Makes no sense to me

And Chinese inexpensive... Sorry I don't buy that argument either. Fast food is cheap. Chinese Food (NA Chinese or Chinatown Authentic Chinese) served in a sit down setting ranks right up there with any other meal eaten out IMO
Pretty funny since for my Chinese mother in laws last birthday in Toronto she wanted to be taken to the cheapest Chinese restaurant.

Oh, and they don't tip.

Think you're making much of nothing.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13060 posts
3284 upvotes
Here 'n There
XtremeModder wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:43 pm
I just do 15% here.

Last night I went out for dinner, waitress told me to pick x over y as x was really good, it came and was probably the WORST meal I’ve ever had in recent years, girlfriends meal wasn’t so good either. Manager couldn’t care any less and gave no apology, then the waitress turned into a total b—- and took forever to bring our bill. Tip was not left. To be fair I wouldn’t have said anything and instead just never gone back but a friend flagged the guy down and says “he has something to say about the food”....

What I hate more are places that auto add a tip of 18% then expect you to tip on top of that. Not happening and I mostly avoid those places now.
'Auto add' being just a suggestion or is that a hard 18% added? The former is up to them but the latter is illegal unless it is disclosed in advance on the menu as a part of the purchase price of the meal. Any time I see 18%+ showing up on the credit card machine by default I tip even less than the 15% I was going to as I don't like an establishment trying to suggest what I should tip.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
4675 posts
251 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:17 pm
I have made that correlation as well (in past tipping topics)... Being totally in favour of both an across the board Minimum Wage (get rid of Service Minium Wage) and moving towards a Living Wage based on real facts.

Studies say that a real living wage, means that Minimum needs to move up to to that $ 15 mark... And possibly be adjusted slightly from there for areas of the country where the cost of living is notoriously higher due to housing (ie The GTA / GVA)
Are you in favor of increasing unemployment? ..... because that is the result of governments forcing employers to pay what they consider "a real living wage", rather then letting market forces determine wages.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6361 posts
193 upvotes
I spend a lot of time in the US (SC) and I've spoken to a lot of servers here. This is what I've found out. They make $2.50 an hour. From that', some of them have to "tip out" and share. Also, they are given a slip (not sure what it's called but like our T4's) at the end of the year stating an estimate of what they received in tips. The way it's calculated is when they cash out at the end of each shift, it is "assumed" that they received a certain amount of tips. It's calculated on their sales. I forget the amount but I think it's 15% so if they did $2,000 in sales that day, it is assumed that they made $300 in tips when in fact they may have made far less. So, they end up paying taxes on money they may not have even received. I may be wrong on the 15% amount. Perhaps it's less and there are always those who pay more in tips so that "may" make up for the times they don't get a tip. One thing I have noticed is that for the most part, service here in the US is FAR better than in Canada because they REALLY count on their tips. At home, I think a server makes around $9.60 or so per hour and they don't pay for healthcare. In the US, most of them have to pay their own healthcare and it's brutal. Also, not sure that servers in Canada will be getting the $15 an hour minimum wage when it's enacted as their minimum wage is lower than the typical one.

I always tip 20% but I also wish they'd get rid of tipping or revamp it somehow. Basing it on the value of the bill is not right. One table could order a glass of water each and a cheap sandwich. They could be really difficult and have the server running his or her butt off with refilling the water and bringing more napkins and buns etc. Their bill could end up being $20. Another table orders ribs and steaks and one glass of beer each. They could be the type who never ask another thing of the server but their bill ends up being $70. The server may have done 1/2 the work but based on the 20% thing, table one pays a $4 tips and table 2 pays a $16 tip and the server did 1/4 of the work. How fair is that. I'd like to see maybe a sliding scale. The value of the bill should be irrelevant.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3673 posts
1387 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:38 pm
Maybe where you live... But certainly not EVERYWHERE or ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY

Think it is more a case of someone has led you to beleve this is some how ok, and to justify it as "it is only Chinese"

Makes no sense to me

And Chinese inexpensive... Sorry I don't buy that argument either. Fast food is cheap. Chinese Food (NA Chinese or Chinatown Authentic Chinese) served in a sit down setting ranks right up there with any other meal eaten out IMO
if you say so.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5407 posts
2196 upvotes
deltone wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 6:10 pm
At home, I think a server makes around $9.60 or so per hour and they don't pay for healthcare. In the US, most of them have to pay their own healthcare and it's brutal. Also, not sure that servers in Canada will be getting the $15 an hour minimum wage when it's enacted as their minimum wage is lower than the typical one.
In Alberta the disparity between servers and others has been eliminated and the minimum wage for both is now $13.60 going to $15.00 next October 1.

With the last increase, the minimum wage for servers has gone up 48% ($9.20 to $13.60) in the last two years and we should continue tipping at 15 or 20%? It doesn't seem likely.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9288 posts
985 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 3:57 pm
'Auto add' being just a suggestion or is that a hard 18% added? The former is up to them but the latter is illegal unless it is disclosed in advance on the menu as a part of the purchase price of the meal. Any time I see 18%+ showing up on the credit card machine by default I tip even less than the 15% I was going to as I don't like an establishment trying to suggest what I should tip.
hard 18% that is stated on the menu. I don't understand why some establishments force this on customers already. It makes no sense. Unless it's a large party of people then sometimes it's added automatically but is still stated beforehand.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11603 posts
1871 upvotes
Markham
XtremeModder wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 8:44 pm
hard 18% that is stated on the menu. I don't understand why some establishments force this on customers already. It makes no sense. Unless it's a large party of people then sometimes it's added automatically but is still stated beforehand.
I'd love it if they state 18% on the menu, so I can get up and leave.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4406 posts
156 upvotes
Austin/Markham
The newer thing I've seen is having to tip for takeout. Restaurants expect 10% on takeout and cafeteria style restaurants (where you order at a cashier and you have to bus the tables yourself) expect tip too (~15-20%). That's starting to blur the line I think and making me wonder why I shouldn't tip at subway or McDonalds than.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39702 posts
3763 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
rliuthu wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 9:05 pm
I always hate the tipping culture in North America, why not just include it in the price of food? It is not like places don't tip has horrible service, such as Asia.

I always only care about the food itself, the waiter just take order and bring out food. I don't care if he is a good waiter or not.
The problem is changing the consumer culture. Its set in stone. Perhaps you might not have. Problem, but most would.

The tipping system is just to subsidize the wages of servers. The idea is that servers make small hourly wages and tips are given to them if they provide good service.

RestAurAnts would need to increases menu prices if they just paid servers a more stream line wage.

Would people accept foregoing any tipping and accept a 15% increase in menu prices?

Example... a burger and fries at a chain resto like jack astors is gonna set you back a good $15...
Would anyone be ok paying $20 for it and not tip?
Apr 12, 2005
856 posts
99 upvotes
I live in Toronto

I tip 20% pretty much across the board. Maybe less if the service is bad but I still tip.

If it is really bad I probably call the manager and if I dont get appropriate action, prob dont come back.

I get that there are lots of people who probably deserve to be tipped and dont get any. Cant solve all the problems but I am not penalizing people in the service industry in TO, where the Cost of living is very high.

I would be happy to live in a world where they eliminated the tipping and the job of server was taken seriously and properly compensated.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11603 posts
1871 upvotes
Markham
superizzy wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 8:02 pm
I live in Toronto

I tip 20% pretty much across the board. Maybe less if the service is bad but I still tip.

If it is really bad I probably call the manager and if I dont get appropriate action, prob dont come back.

I get that there are lots of people who probably deserve to be tipped and dont get any. Cant solve all the problems but I am not penalizing people in the service industry in TO, where the Cost of living is very high.

I would be happy to live in a world where they eliminated the tipping and the job of server was taken seriously and properly compensated.
Care to elaborate?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7282 posts
1511 upvotes
Mississauga
I just had a strange experience at an AYCE. The place charged an automatic 10 percent on the bill. And the waiter still asked for a tip on top of it for his good service. It made me feel awkward, and when I didn't leave any more than that mandatory 10 percent, he questioned me about it... I just stated it's already included on the bill....
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Doesn't bother me at all.

Not sure why it would bother anyone. It's a machine preset. I put in whatever amount I want to anyways.