Food & Drink

Opinion on restaurants with tipping % options on 15/20/25% instead of 10/15/20%?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 8:40 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2444 posts
351 upvotes
Ancaster
This is an interesting article from the National Post and it agrees with information I'm getting from friends of my son who work as servers. Many of them are making in a two day work week what anyone else on minimum wage takes a five day work week to accomplish.

https://nationalpost.com/news/the-10000 ... -in-canada

Tipping was developed because serving staff were underpaid and the tips were necessary to boost their wages. I'm not sure why we continue to do it now that Kathleen has jacked up the minimum wage.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2314 posts
885 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Not going to go through this thread fr now but a few (or many) years ago, some restaurant in Ontario tried a game of their wait staff working voluntarily and were solely remunerated by patron tipping (i.e, the restaurant owners weren't paying their staff). This was to much even for the Harris government.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42519 posts
3131 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dilligafeh wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:33 pm
It works there maybe, but here ....well let's just say it doesn't translate well. Also his spelling suggested otherwise.
I had to look this up on urbandictionary to see what you're referring to. I assume you're referring to how it's translated to "shit" in Hebrew. I don't think this is commonly used in Toronto and don't understand why it's a big problem.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7736 posts
3884 upvotes
ON
Jon Lai wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 2:48 pm
I had to look this up on urbandictionary to see what you're referring to. I assume you're referring to how it's translated to "shit" in Hebrew. I don't think this is commonly used in Toronto and don't understand why it's a big problem.
Word Origin and History for caca
n.
"excrement," a nursery word but a very ancient one (PIE *kakka- ), forming the base word for "excrement, to void excrement" in many Indo-European languages; e.g. Greek kakke "human excrement," Latin cacare , Irish caccaim , Serbo-Croatian kakati , Armenian k'akor ; Old English cac-hus "latrine."

Etymologists dispute whether the modern Germanic words (e.g. Dutch kakken , Danish kakke , German kacken ), are native cognates or student slang borrowed from Latin cacare . The word in this form appears in English slang c.1870, and could have been taken from any or several of the languages that used it (e.g. Spanish, Modern Greek).
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42519 posts
3131 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dilligafeh wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 3:40 pm
Word Origin and History for caca
n.
"excrement," a nursery word but a very ancient one (PIE *kakka- ), forming the base word for "excrement, to void excrement" in many Indo-European languages; e.g. Greek kakke "human excrement," Latin cacare , Irish caccaim , Serbo-Croatian kakati , Armenian k'akor ; Old English cac-hus "latrine."

Etymologists dispute whether the modern Germanic words (e.g. Dutch kakken , Danish kakke , German kacken ), are native cognates or student slang borrowed from Latin cacare . The word in this form appears in English slang c.1870, and could have been taken from any or several of the languages that used it (e.g. Spanish, Modern Greek).
That's what I said, it's translated to "shit" in Hebrew. There's not a big Hebrew population in Canada, let alone in Toronto. Therefore, I am shocked that the name is an issue.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7736 posts
3884 upvotes
ON
Jon Lai wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 3:50 pm
That's what I said, it's translated to "shit" in Hebrew. There's not a big Hebrew population in Canada, let alone in Toronto. Therefore, I am shocked that the name is an issue.
Where the heck did you read Hebrew in what I posted ? You have Greek, Latin , Serbo-Croatian, Dutch, Danish , German , all of which have a significant representation in our population. There isn't a large Jewish community here ? You must be joking. According to a 2001 census, 164,000 Jews lived in Toronto at the time.
Obviously you aren't of European descent hence the meaning was lost on you.
If I were to invite my relatives to an "all you can eat restaurant named KAKA", I'd never hear the end of it at family gatherings.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1749 posts
1314 upvotes
nielboy wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 6:58 pm
This is an interesting article from the National Post and it agrees with information I'm getting from friends of my son who work as servers. Many of them are making in a two day work week what anyone else on minimum wage takes a five day work week to accomplish.

https://nationalpost.com/news/the-10000 ... -in-canada

Tipping was developed because serving staff were underpaid and the tips were necessary to boost their wages. I'm not sure why we continue to do it now that Kathleen has jacked up the minimum wage.
The min wage did not go up in January 2019

If you don't want to tip, just don't eat out. Pretty simple

I mean if someone can make 100k as a server, good for them! They're obviously good at their job. Just like the 100k+ salesman while others work at Best buy

It's capitalism rewarding good workers. You should appreciate good workers are rewarded, we aren't communist here. Many salesman, and professionals like lawyers, brokers, RE agents work for less than min wage and make their bread and butter in commission , just like servers do with tips.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4890 posts
4042 upvotes
I always tip $2-3 bucks which equates to approx. 10% since I rarely ever eat at expensive / fancy places.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7736 posts
3884 upvotes
ON
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 8:04 pm
The min wage did not go up in January 2019

If you don't want to tip, just don't eat out. Pretty simple

I mean if someone can make 100k as a server, good for them! They're obviously good at their job. Just like the 100k+ salesman while others work at Best buy

It's capitalism rewarding good workers. You should appreciate good workers are rewarded, we aren't communist here. Many salesman, and professionals like lawyers, brokers, RE agents work for less than min wage and make their bread and butter in commission , just like servers do with tips.
How about folks that help you out at Home Depot or other stores ? Why should they not receive a tip ? Hauling lumber or heavy items into your vehicle doesn't deserve the reward that someone holding a plate of fries me a beer does ?
Don't eat outside ...What an f-d up attitude ...
Lawyers work for min wage ? Not sure what you're smoking but it must be close to bath salts.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3970 posts
260 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 6:47 pm
How about folks that help you out at Home Depot or other stores ? Why should they not receive a tip ? Hauling lumber or heavy items into your vehicle doesn't deserve the reward that someone holding a plate of fries me a beer does ?
Don't eat outside ...What an f-d up attitude ...
Lawyers work for min wage ? Not sure what you're smoking but it must be close to bath salts.
haha, yeah, if you go out side, you should be prepared to tip your bus driver, crossing guard, the homeless guy holding open the door, also tip the drivers for not running you over at the crosswalk. Just walk down the street making it rain with dollar bills :)
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Dec 29, 2012
854 posts
261 upvotes
Scarborough
It should be a law that restaurants post their % tip policies on the window outside (for poor folks like me).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5686 posts
756 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm glad we don't go out to such places.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7736 posts
3884 upvotes
ON
ephemera wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:20 pm
haha, yeah, if you go out side, you should be prepared to tip your bus driver, crossing guard, the homeless guy holding open the door, also tip the drivers for not running you over at the crosswalk. Just walk down the street making it rain with dollar bills :)
That's exactly why I think this "must tip regardless" attitude is completely out of touch with reality.
Dec 25, 2017
19 posts
15 upvotes
tipping options are becoming worse :( just saw a machine that had 18/22/25/other amount at East Side Mario. I hit 'other amount', but somehow it registered at 25%. then i couldn't and did not know how to undo Crying Face.
I hope that waitress was happy.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
12551 posts
2699 upvotes
Markham
quewkmak wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 8:05 pm
tipping options are becoming worse :( just saw a machine that had 18/22/25/other amount at East Side Mario. I hit 'other amount', but somehow it registered at 25%. then i couldn't and did not know how to undo Crying Face.
I hope that waitress was happy.
I would've told her to fix the machine instead of giving an outrageous 25% (which might have been on top of tax too)?