• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2010 6:23 am
Tags:
None
Apr 25, 2006
459 posts
77 upvotes

Opinions on buying a Yardworks Aerator/Dethatcher from Canadian Tire

Anyone have any experience with or opinions on this Yardworks Aerator/Dethatcher from Canadian Tire?

Link

It gets mixed reviews on their website. I've always heard that aerating is good for the lawn but have never had it done before.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
it is not a real aerator...essentially by pushing pins into the ground you are compacting and not aerating. Just like the shoes with pins, it doing opposite of what you want.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2006
459 posts
77 upvotes
nalababe wrote:
Mar 28th, 2008 7:14 pm
it is not a real aerator...essentially by pushing pins into the ground you are compacting and not aerating. Just like the shoes with pins, it doing opposite of what you want.
Thanks for the info. Do the ones you rent from Home Depot take out plugs and aerate properly?
Anyone else with any experience with this machine?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6267 posts
58 upvotes
Etobicoke
The ones for rent at my local home depot takes out the plugs properly. Essentially, it is a roller with many sharpened tubes on it and the new plug will push out the old plug.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3955 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
As an aerator it is useless. As a dethatcher it should work just fine. I do not think that I would pay that much for something that I would only use 1 Saturday afternoon per year.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes
You'd be better off to rent a proper aerator once a year, runs about $50 for four hours. Split the cost with your neighbours.
Mar 19, 2008
28 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
This isn't an aerator it's a dethatcher. You know, when you look at your lawn, if you see alot of dead grass in between the living grass that's called thatch. This unit is like a power rake to scape all the dead grass out so your lawn can breath. If you don't have thatch just rent an aerator. I just bought this 2 days ago and it works great except the switch broke on about the 3rd time pushing it because I lifted the bar before I pushed the button. Kind of a stupid design for it to break if you do them in the wrong order as you will do it eventually. I have to check if I can get a replacement switch piece. I glued it together for now and it's working. The job it does on the lawn is fantastic. I have a small front lawn but it still pulled up all the dead stuff and filled one of those brown yard waste bags. This unit just saves a ton of raking. All you do is run it across the lawn then rake up the debris left behind.
Last year I raked for 3 hrs and didn't get half of what I got up with this. I was done the front lawn in about 40 mins. People have complained that the pins are too flimsy. The only bent one I had was one that was installed backwards from factory. I tested it out on my back lawn and if you get it make sure you use it on the high setting only or it will tear out too much grass. It says in the manual to leave it on high unless it's not pulling anything up. Besides the switch problem I highly recommend it. Use it, then rent an aerator, throw down some seed, fertilizer and water and you'lll have a lush green lawn. Hope this helps you decide.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
the_tripp wrote:
Apr 15th, 2010 11:22 pm
Hope this helps you decide.
He asked the question over two years ago. :razz:

Anyway, I also bought this dethatcher and I agree that it works very well. A couple of weeks ago, Canadian Tire had replacement tines on sale so I picked up a box of them. But I haven't had any break yet, so I haven't needed the replacements.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5720 posts
508 upvotes
If you want aeration you're better off just hiring someone to come in and do it for you and save you the grief of the rental hassle.
Aug 10, 2009
62 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
I just had a couple of teenagers doing my lawn (46 x 110) for $25.00
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24549 posts
2327 upvotes
Ottawa
Rehan wrote:
Apr 15th, 2010 11:29 pm
He asked the question over two years ago. :razz:
I hope he has made up his mind by now
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sep 24, 2006
1 posts
On the Canadian Tire website it says the electric dethatcher also removes weeds? Wondering if anybody has used it to remove a lot of weeds? Does it pull out the root or just the leaves above ground?

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
ngn33r wrote:
May 6th, 2010 9:03 pm
On the Canadian Tire website it says the electric dethatcher also removes weeds? Wondering if anybody has used it to remove a lot of weeds? Does it pull out the root or just the leaves above ground?

Thanks.
There's no way it can pull deep rooted weeds like dandelions. I don't know what "weeds" they mean when they claim on the website that it can do that. Basically, it just scrapes the ground like you would with a metal rake.

And BTW, after you use the dethatcher you'll have to use a rake anyway because it leaves all the scraped up thatch sitting above the grass and has no collection bag of its own.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3955 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Rehan wrote:
May 6th, 2010 9:43 pm
There's no way it can pull deep rooted weeds like dandelions. I don't know what "weeds" they mean when they claim on the website that it can do that. Basically, it just scrapes the ground like you would with a metal rake.

And BTW, after you use the dethatcher you'll have to use a rake anyway because it leaves all the scraped up thatch sitting above the grass and has no collection bag of its own.

You have to admit tho that raking up the dethatch is a lot easier than using a rake to dethatch. If you have a bagging lawnmower you could use that on the lawn after dethatching instead of raking it up.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
× < >