Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2017 12:48 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1397 posts
370 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 11:50 pm
I'm curious about the service levels - or lack thereof.

I might try them out for two week for the fun of it.
Lolz pls cycle your feedback.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Oct 19, 2011
343 posts
70 upvotes
I should def say that the throttling is bascically the same as cutting your cord after hitting your data limit. Can't even listen to Google Music/Spotify at lowest quality. Reddit (and this site) load but gl loading larger sites. Also I noticed that after using ~500mb more (i left stuff running overnight to test throttling thresholds) I got throttled to 10kb/sec whereas I was at 30kb/sec before, and was NOT texted to warn my of extra throttleing. Throttling is just a synonym for "get off our network until your data resets".

They really should offer the 3gb/$10 addon as many times as you want. Everyone would win that way. Or improve throttled speeds to 256 kiloBYTES not bits lol.
Oct 17, 2016
324 posts
79 upvotes
mcfart wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 11:42 pm
I should def say that the throttling is bascically the same as cutting your cord after hitting your data limit. Can't even listen to Google Music/Spotify at lowest quality. Reddit (and this site) load but gl loading larger sites. Also I noticed that after using ~500mb more (i left stuff running overnight to test throttling thresholds) I got throttled to 10kb/sec whereas I was at 30kb/sec before, and was NOT texted to warn my of extra throttleing. Throttling is just a synonym for "get off our network until your data resets".

They really should offer the 3gb/$10 addon as many times as you want. Everyone would win that way. Or improve throttled speeds to 256 kiloBYTES not bits lol.
I agree with u 100% I can't stand it at all and I hate to say this but they don't seem to care because they told me they have no plans on changing the throttling speeds.let's see how many customers they continue to lose over this. I was one of them but throttling wasn't the main reason I left but it was one.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere59 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1397 posts
370 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
mcfart wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 11:42 pm
That's not their selling feature. They sell "no overage charges". For that, you rather go prepaid (Chatr or Public) in my opinion, as their "phone deals" aren't much of a deal (unless you stay for 24 months, which means paying for access to a crummy network for a fifth of a decade).
Gee wrote:
Sep 4th, 2017 10:29 am
That's two weeks of your life you'll never get back.
Not as bad as two years.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Oct 19, 2011
343 posts
70 upvotes
Warning to all that get carrier phones - although they're called "Freedom" Mobile, they still forcibly lock bootloaders on their phones just like the Big 3. The Sony XA1 bootloader is locked unlike US variants. Can't root by any means.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3531 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton ON
mcfart wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 12:24 pm
Warning to all that get carrier phones - although they're called "Freedom" Mobile, they still forcibly lock bootloaders on their phones just like the Big 3. The Sony XA1 bootloader is locked unlike US variants. Can't root by any means.
That's ok, us long is unlocked and can be use to another carrier.
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $40 10gb with F&F discount 2yrs Contract ZTE Grand X4
Virgin Mobile $47 4gb 2yrs Contract LGG6
Do A Math Before Signing Contract Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1397 posts
370 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
d1ulove3 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 8:04 pm
That's ok, us long is unlocked and can be use to another carrier.
Free unlocks as of December 1st. I negotiated with Freedom Mobile. They charge $30 for the unlock, but they offered a $20 credit, thus dropping it to $10 for the unlock. 3rd party unlocking service charge $35-55 for Freedom Mobile Android unlock codes, so I don't see much "freedom" there.

Also, when you can't unlock the bootloader, you don't have much "freedom" with your phone. I like rooting, flashing custom ROM's, etc. and would like to do this with any Android phone.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3531 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 10:49 am
Free unlocks as of December 1st. I negotiated with Freedom Mobile. They charge $30 for the unlock, but they offered a $20 credit, thus dropping it to $10 for the unlock. 3rd party unlocking service charge $35-55 for Freedom Mobile Android unlock codes, so I don't see much "freedom" there.

Also, when you can't unlock the bootloader, you don't have much "freedom" with your phone. I like rooting, flashing custom ROM's, etc. and would like to do this with any Android phone.
I know, I work with one of the big 3 we do the reprogramming of every phone that arrives.
As-salamu alaykum
Do A Math Before Signing Contract Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

Nov 26, 2011
865 posts
107 upvotes
london
I switched to freedom and got the lg g6 with $40/month + $25 tab

in London its fine - I live in apartment and don't lose signal in elevator or anything
but when you go to the outskirts some areas are still considered 'away' even though you aren't that far out of London

and one thing I noticed now is when I place a call it takes a good 30 seconds before it starts ringing
finally one day I looked down and noticed my signal goes from LTE>no signal>4g
then end the call and it goes back to no signal > LTE

this is really an inconvenience because now I can't use my apartment buzzer because it gets a busy tone - which I think is the network switchingAngry Face
Aug 29, 2017
67 posts
56 upvotes
Freedom seems to be working fine. LTE is a lot faster and I do not experience the problem between 3G - LTE switching as some have reported. In some areas I get better reception with Freedom than PM, and the opposite is true in other areas. If I didn't have PM's fall promo, I would ditch them for another FM line.
Nov 14, 2007
1 posts
London
I switched over to Freedom and regret it. Iphone isn't supported so I'm stuck using 3G and imessage doesn't work properly. The network is spotty at best. I was just at a wedding on the weekend in London (ON) in the downtown area. In a building. I couldn't phone my wife who was sitting beside me. Neither of us were receiving any messages or anything. Network was "away" even though I am in downtown London.

I was also at a golf course in Woodstock recently. "No Service". Great.

Needless to say, I will be crawling back to my previous provider.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3531 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton ON
jordanr19871 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 3:41 pm
I switched to freedom and got the lg g6 with $40/month + $25 tab

in London its fine - I live in apartment and don't lose signal in elevator or anything
but when you go to the outskirts some areas are still considered 'away' even though you aren't that far out of London

and one thing I noticed now is when I place a call it takes a good 30 seconds before it starts ringing
finally one day I looked down and noticed my signal goes from LTE>no signal>4g
then end the call and it goes back to no signal > LTE

this is really an inconvenience because now I can't use my apartment buzzer because it gets a busy tone - which I think is the network switchingAngry Face
Set your phone to WCDMA, I have the same thing on ZTE Grand X4
As-salamu alaykum

Nov 26, 2011
865 posts
107 upvotes
london
d1ulove3 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 9:17 pm
Set your phone to WCDMA, I have the same thing on ZTE Grand X4
won't that just use 4g only?
I did settings, more, mobile networks, network mode and can choose gsm/wcdma/lte auto, gsm,/wcdma auto, wcdma only and gsm only
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3531 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton ON
jordanr19871 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 9:28 pm
won't that just use 4g only?
I did settings, more, mobile networks, network mode and can choose gsm/wcdma/lte auto, gsm,/wcdma auto, wcdma only and gsm only
It will set the phone is 3g 4g, if your out side set it back to LTE specially if you use data.
As-salamu alaykum