Opinions please -Bose Soundlink Mini vs Sony Bluetooth SRSBTX500

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2014 1:25 pm
3 replies
Mar 3, 2012
187 posts
79 upvotes
Edmonton
Totally different speakers IMO. The BTX500 is meant to be a room filling speaker or party speaker you might bring and move occasionally while the soundlink mini is more something you carry around with you everywhere.

Between the two, the Sony has more detail and clarity in the mids and highs- this is good for vocals and percussion/acoustic/classical. The low end on the Sony is still detailed and quite good (its low end is powered by a dedicated sub and two passive radiators) while the Bose is just two passive radiators to fill in the low end. On the other end, the Bose is really BOOMY- this can be good if you like colored bass/strong bass but the detail in the low end and mids/highs isn't quite there with the Sony. However the Bose is REALLY loud for a much smaller speaker design and feels quite premium- the sony is largely a plastic design- it doesn't feel cheap but its not premium for the price you pay.

I would decide what kind of speaker you need first- do you need a micro sized speaker like the soundlink mini or a larger one for more room filling sound like the Sony.

You might also be intending to look at the Soundlink Mobile- this is more of the same class as the Sony BTX500. IMHO, the Soundlink Mobile is similar to the mini- incredible Boom for the bass but not a lot of detail in the bass- the mids and the highs on the Sony simply are more clear to my ears.

Having owned the Sony BTX500 for awhile I would also note that its much larger than the Bose Mini/Mobile and the battery life and overall volume is rather low for the size. Don't get me wrong, the Sony still has enough o power through a typical day but its not a battery powerhouse like the Jawbone Big Jambox, nor does it get as loud as the big Jambox (I had both side by side for a week). But the clarity is there on the Sony.

And if it matters to you, only the Sony has a mic to use as a speakerphone.

I think most people are too dismissive of the Bose brand because of its adverts/claims/pricing, and I really do advocate for the Soundlink mini in particular because of its small size to volume/boom ratio - typically most users prefer colored sound to detailed sound so that's something to consider. I preferred the detail in the end with the Sony so I went with that one.
Mar 3, 2012
187 posts
79 upvotes
Edmonton
I wouldn't get the price protect- these are so cheap, the price protect jumps your overall cost up quite a bit. Hunt for a free credit card like the MBNA mastercard that auto adds one year of warranty for free on your purchase and that will suffice.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2012
20 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the Bose Soundlink mini :) . I love how compact and how great the sound of it is.